IGNORED

jet and port

taters

i was getting on my bike outside of wallmart and this guy comes up to me and starts telling me about his expieriences with motorcycles. now i only found out 2 weeks ago what an allen wrench is so i did nothave a clue to what he was talking about.i have an 04 rt. he said i should consider getting it jetted and ported as it will greatly increase horsepower and mpg. is there anything to what this guy was saying?thanks

russell_bynum

"Jetting it" refers to changing the jets in the carbs...usually to flow more gas. Since your bike is fuel injected, there are no carbs and therefore no jets. You can accomplish the same thing using a PowerCommander, Techlusion, or a replacement chip in the engine control computer (Motronic). But that wouldn't get you any worthwhile performance gains.

"Porting", means modifying the shape/size/etc of the internal chambers in the head that allow air in (via the intake valves) and out (via the exhaust valves).

I have heard that this actually does make a noticable different with an oilhead BMW since apparently, the head is the bottleneck for performance on this engine. I have not verified this personally, though.

Either way, if you're happy with the bike, don't screw with it. The best way to improve the performance of your bike is to upgrade the nut that connects the saddle to the handlebars. smile.gif A skilled rider on a slow bike will beat a poor rider on a fast bike every time.

duckbubbles
A skilled rider on a slow bike will beat a poor rider on a fast bike every time.

Many ditto's to that. If you want to go faster, concentrate on your riding. After you get near the bike's limits, get some good aftermarket shocks rather than put all the speed stuff on. You'll be better off and your bike will be more reliable.

Frank

A skilled rider on a slow bike will beat a poor rider on a fast bike every time.

Many ditto's to that. If you want to go faster, concentrate on your riding. After you get near the bike's limits, get some good aftermarket shocks rather than put all the speed stuff on. You'll be better off and your bike will be more reliable.

Frank

Ditto your ditto's. More HP won't make you any faster in the twisties.

And that's where it's at! cool.gif

Archived