IGNORED

Helmet hurts forehead

KCSheila

I have a flip-up HJC and it fits perfectly in every way for the first hour I wear it. After that, it has a pressure spot on my forehead right about at the hairline. I have tried pressing down the foam and feel that I did gain some room because if I push against the back of the helmet when the front starts hurting, I can move it away from my forehead about l/4 inch. Thought maybe I didn't have enough padding for my skinny little head, that was VERY painful, not enough room, I guess. I really love this helmet in every other way, but my head stays sore in that one spot for days after a long ride. Since hand pressure in the foam hasn't gained me enough room, any suggestions on how to reduce the foam smoothly in that area. Thought about heating up a large spoon and rubbing it across there hoping to melt it down a bit. If I try to cut or saw it out with something, it may get rough and create a new issue. Any ideas?

I think your concerns about getting too aggressive in dealing with the foam are spot on. Hate to spend your money for you, but you really need to try an Arai. It sounds like you have a long oval (LO) head shape - that is larger front to back than it is side to side. Along with needing more room in the front, you may have too much room on the sides. Arai's old Signet line, and now their Profile line are shaped to fit long oval heads. Yes they're pricey, but hey, you're worth it!

Les is more

I started out with a Shoei RF900 and had the same problem. I was trying fit an oval head into a round helmet. I tried compressing the foam but that doesn't last. Unfortunately the solution had to come out of my pocketbook rather than from any modifications. I ended up buying an RF1000 which Shoei had lengthened a bit to make it fit more heads. Problem solved.

I've done both..My Arai Signet fits great. My Harley 3/4 helmet gave me the same problem you are having.. I didn't care if it ruined my Harley helmet but I carved a little foam out where it was tight and solved the problem.. I've been told that the Shoei XS 11 will also work for a long oval but can't confirm that..Good luck..

You might try using a baseball or pool ball and hand pressure to create a little space in the foam where you need it. I have done this with several of my helmets with good effect (Shoei, Arai and HJC). Just go slow and don't get carried away with the pressure. If you are going to abandon the helmet anyway, you might give it a try. What you may find is that even with a different brand, you would have the same "hot spot", at least that was the case with me.

Hey its Saturday so I'll propose another way to work out the helmet issue especially in light of manufactors not want us to modify thier products. Take your helmet off find a good sized streetlight pole and run at it as hard as you can making contact at the aforementioned pressure spot. You may need to repeat several times untill your newly dented cranium matches your helmet. If swelling occurs you're not hitting the pole hard enough, try again. All kidding aside try to find a place like Cycle Gear that offers a trial period of 10 days or so to indure you have the best protecting & fitting helmet you can afford. Cheers, Ralph

Had the same problem with my HJC. I had to pull the cloth back and do some "Slight" modifications to the foam with the dremel tool.

I have a scorpion helmet now that fit great out of the box plus it has the no fog lens that works great thumbsup.gif

I had the same problem with an HJC flip helmet. I wore it for about a year and a half waiting for the forehead pain to go away. It didn't. I trashed the HJC and bought an Arai.

I think I have a long oval head that fits the Arai better than it does an HJC.

Cycle Gear will give you 30 days with a helmet to decide if you like it or not. If before the 30 days is up and you decide you don't like it- return to either local store or their main store. They will only refund your money in the form of store credit. They just opened a store here in SW Florida and seem to have some satisfied customers (me included). I have a brand new Shoei RF-1000 sitting in the box for 2 months now, with the plastic still on the faceshield and stickers attached. I explained to the main office and local store that I had cancer and did not know if I would be making my bike trip this summer. They told me as long as I did not take helmet out of house and kept the original wrapping on it, I could take another month to figure out my trip situation. They said as long as they could sell the helmet as new- no problem. (end of me going off on customer satisfaction tangent about cycle gear!) However, if you wear the helmet, only 30 days.

LOVED THE ONE ABOUT HITTING THE LIGHTPOST!!!!!!!!!!!

At times, I have felt like taking a hammer to it. I did flub a bit, the HJC was the helmet I had before, didn't use it enough to know if it hurt or not.

Mine is a Zeus flip-up. Still hurts like crazy. And.......even though I don't have a very big head, now that I think about it, it is more oval. I'll try to ball method first, if that doesn't work, I'll carve it up a bit, and if that just ruines it..........................I am going to have to resort to the lamp post. Ready for a new look anyway. Thanks everyone grin.gif

I removed the lining in my helmet (Nolan X-lite)...heated up a big soup spoon (don't anybody tell my wife) with a torch....then scooped out a bit of the styrofoam until it fit (with the lining back in of course). I took out enough so that I could put a thin (1/4 inch) piece of foam in there to take care of the rough spots, if any. Fits great now.

But then, I slipped in a puddle of water at the local hardware store, and came down on the helmet and cracked it....so now I get to do it again with a new helmet.

Pat

Don't cut up/scoop out your helmet innards. Get one that's designed to fit your head correctly.

I went from an HJC SyMax that killed my forehead to an Arai Signet and I can ride for hours now -- and what a difference in build quality. The Arai Profile is the newest version.

I started out with a Shoei RF900 and had the same problem. ......

Same problem with the RF900. I now have a Shoei TZ-R. All day comfort.

Yankee Dog

Archived