IGNORED

Linked Brakes?

Albert

Basic question for one of our experts out there. On the 06 RT we have partially linked brakes. My understanding is the front lever applies braking to both front and rear and, I assume, the proportions are determined in the braking control system. The rear brake when applied, only applies rear braking. OK, assuming I've got that right here's the question. If I am applying front brake only and then decide to add some braking using the pedal (rear), does the system compensate for this addition of braking input? For example, if my application of the front lever alone results in 65% front and 35% rear braking, what happens if I upset the balance by adding in rear pedal braking? Can the resultant be 25% front and 75% rear for instance?

Incidentally, I find myself becoming a little lazy with the rear brake now that I have the linked system. I've always greatly favored front braking but with this system it almost seems pointless to hit the pedal unless I'm in the gravel or something equally messy. Thanks in advance.

Actually, I use both most of the time and find myself feathering in the rear brake to fine-tune my stop and usually end up switching to the rear completely just before coming to a complete stop. I can definitely feel the difference between front(+rear) and the additional rear. (Did that come out wrong? blush.gif)

I tend to use the rear brake almost all of the time and use the front only when hard or sharp braking is required.

I use the rear as if the brakes weren't linked but have always been aware of the front adding more to the rear (!).

In reality it makes little difference to me but maybe that's my riding style, but I'm sure it does help when some serious speed is required to shed off.

Hence my input, ignore the fact they are linked, your riding/use of brakes will compensate as you get used to the bike.

Incidentally, I find myself becoming a little lazy with the rear brake now that I have the linked system. I've always greatly favored front braking but with this system it almost seems pointless to hit the pedal unless I'm in the gravel or something equally messy. Thanks in advance.
Me too. I came from a heavy cruiser (Kaw Vulcan) where you must use the rear brake with the front or you don't stop tongue.gif

I also wonder about the abs. Unless I'm missing something, I see an abs "ring" only on the front brake, none on the rear. So if the rear starts to slide, but the front still has traction, does the abs pulse the rear brake only?

Paul Mihalka

There is ABS on the rear. The sensor ring is hidden by the rear drive. If you use the hand brake and then add foot brake (I intentionally avoid calling them "front" or "rear" brake) you can bring the rear brake to full power without increasing front wheel braking.

Basic question for one of our experts out there. On the 06 RT we have partially linked brakes. My understanding is the front lever applies braking to both front and rear and, I assume, the proportions are determined in the braking control system. The rear brake when applied, only applies rear braking. OK, assuming I've got that right here's the question. If I am applying front brake only and then decide to add some braking using the pedal (rear), does the system compensate for this addition of braking input? For example, if my application of the front lever alone results in 65% front and 35% rear braking, what happens if I upset the balance by adding in rear pedal braking? Can the resultant be 25% front and 75% rear for instance?
It all makes my head hurt. How about a simple system where the front brake lever controls only the front brake and the rear brake pedal controls only the rear brake and the rider simply modulates them both as necessary? Maybe I can patent the idea!

From what I understand about the braking system, If you are on the brake lever and then hit the rear brakes hard with your foot, the system detects which is applying more force, lever or foot, and uses whichever is applying more force. It will not take anything away from the front brakes.

Archived