IGNORED

RT-P Paint Job

TailGunner

I need some ideas for a paint job on my '02 R1150RT-P purchased recently in Reno. Sheriff's Dept turned it in once warrantee expired. Only 34,000 miles.

I actually like the black and white look. Very sharp! However, I am getting tired of the comments from most everyone on the street about it being a LEO bike.

Any thoughts or suggestions? My most recent inquiry a at local paint shop was $1,200.00 for one color, I R&R body parts.

Thanks all.

You may want to hang on to your body work, or maybe trade it, instead of painting over.

The white panel on the front/side tupperware is a sticker, not paint. When I asked about a replacement sticker (mine has a gouge on one side) I was told that the sticker is NOT available seperately, you have to order the whole panel from Germany. (or a boneyard of course) So, you may be able to trade for a stock one, w/o the sticker, and let someone ELSE look like a LEO. It would also save you th work of pulling the stickers off.

Too bad you have an 1150, otherwise I'd trade you my left panel!

The dealer who bought my ex-CHP bike at auction (along with 2 others) had them all repainted. Not a great paint job, but fine from 10 feet away. The one I bought is all silver, and the other 2 were all black (I liked the silver color better, it shifted nicer and had the lowest mileage). With the removal of the crashbars and the repaint, it is generally a pretty normal RT (albeit with only one seat). I do find that radio box to be really handy. And all striping is reflective for safety.

Tom

706386-mini-FtfrLt.jpg

I think that the 1100 and 1150 must be different, as I am not familiar with any sticker on the front/side. In your picture I see a white side panel. My motor does not have that. Thanks for the input.

Nice bike. Question about the aux lights however. I was told by the dealer that it was against the law for a non-LEO motor to have aux lights mounted above the headlight.

Based upon that info. I removed the light bars. No easy task mind you. Tougher than removing the front crash bar connection to the center stand.

Have you had any problems from LEOs on your light placement?

Yeah the over headlight mount is a no no BUT you will see several guys with that set up. See EMP brackets now on sale here for your 1100 or 1150.

As for the lower fairing it's the same 1100 or 1150 but when dealing with rt-p's not all bikes were painted the same. Especially if it's from a muni or city.

We see a lot of CHP bikes in CA but in several other states the paint schemes are different.

Laws vary from state to state. Typically, you're not allowed to have uncovered lights mounted above the headlight. (Think off-road trucks w/ lights on the roll-bar).

I had the upper lights removed when I picked mine up, so haven't run in to any issues. I do still have the blue tail lights, and over the course of the last year, have never had a run-in. <crosses finger!>

I should have my new driving lights installed by the time I get to VT. Then we'll see what I get for reactions from at least 3 state jurisdictions. blush.gifdopeslap.gif

However, I am getting tired of the comments from most everyone on the street about it being a LEO bike.

Do they rib you about owning a former LEO bike, or because it looks like one? If it's about the looks, well, that aspect of the bike probably could be used to your advantage..... biggrin2.gif

Nice bike. Question about the aux lights however. I was told by the dealer that it was against the law for a non-LEO motor to have aux lights mounted above the headlight.

I kept the PAR 36 strobe mounts and replaced the strobes with spotlights. Haven't had any issues with the law about them so far and my bike definitly looks like a police motor. I think my state has a law that say aux lights can't be mounted higher than a certain number of inches above the ground. Doesn't seem to stop the 4x4 trucks and jeeps from mounting a row of lights over the cab.

Based upon that info. I removed the light bars. No easy task mind you.

Light bars?

If you like the black/white color scheme, why change it? Cause others think it looks like an LEO motor? Heck, it is (was)an LEO motor! Vive le difference!

I was told by the dealer that it was against the law for a non-LEO motor to have aux lights mounted above the headlight.

Have you had any problems from LEOs on your light placement?

Your dealer was correct from a legal standpoint. Uncovered aux lights above the level of the headlamp are not legally allowed to be used on public roadways. But I have never had any LEO issues in the year+ of daily use I have put through on that bike. I suppose that if I did something stupid then being written up for the lights would be added to the citation. But I just cruise along and keep my nose clean, and no one has bothered me. Plus I liked using the RT-P specific brackets to fill up the holes in my dash.

Tom

I need some ideas for a paint job on my '02 R1150RT-P purchased recently in Reno. Sheriff's Dept turned it in once warrantee expired. Only 34,000 miles.

I actually like the black and white look. Very sharp! However, I am getting tired of the comments from most everyone on the street about it being a LEO bike.

Any thoughts or suggestions? My most recent inquiry a at local paint shop was $1,200.00 for one color, I R&R body parts.

Sounds like you got a sweet deal on a nice bike. Congrats.

As to the color:

"Con": It will never stop being a bit of a nuisance. After a while, you'll "numb" to the fact that you're on a cop bike and stop thinking "I wonder if that car thinks I'm a cop, and what they think about it... and do I think I'm trying to be a fake cop...and etc.". For that reason, and because I also love the clean lines of the regular civilian RT, I've come very close to either repaiting it to a civ. color as is, or both repainting it and converting it to a two seater.

"Pro": It will never stop being the most visable bike on the road. Folks who never see or notice a motorcycle have been genetically programmed from age 16 to "see" your bike. It won't guarantee that you won't get hit by an idiot with a cell phone glued to their ear turning into you, as nearly happened to me yesterday (missed me at speed going through an intersection by about 2"!), but your chances are much, much better. Add the PAR36 lights with some trapazoid tractor lights (not the spots; the trap. lights put out little light, but "glow" from a half mile away), and you've got about a 99% improved chance of getting seen by cagers. If you end up getting hit a week after you've painted over your safety advantage, you'll care more about that then all the folks that snicker at your B&W bike.

The cincher for me: I've got some road rash from the "official days", a mis-match mirror (evidentially replaced by one from a boneyard with a different color of white), and some other wear and tear. I'm going to be repainting mine regardless, so I'll probably paint it civilian colors and do a full conversion to improve the value of the bike. But if my paint was pristine, I'd leave it B&W.

Lights: Already mentioned my feelings about the PAR36 lights. BTW, the PAR36 brackets were made for lightweight strobes, not heavier, aimed driving lights. I know some have mounted driving lights there, but I find the tractor lights I have mounted there do not retain their position. Driving lights (PIAA, Hella, etc.) would constantly be out of alignment, using those brackets. I'd use the EMP or equivalent brackets if I intended to mount driving lights over the mirrors.

I also converted the rear light plate to run red running lights and amber run signals. It's very functional safety advantage. My radio box already came with expensive Whelen "stroble" like LED turn lights, which are fairly unique among the LEO bikes, so I left them on.

R1100RTP_Front.jpg

R1100RTP_Rear.JPG

R1100RTP_Rear3.jpg

(I may paint my bike like the following pix:)

R1100RTP_civilianpaint2.jpg

I'm not sure what the reno sheriff's color scheme is, but you can pick up used tupperware in decent shape for pretty cheap. I found both sides and a belly pan for $100 some years ago by posting a "parts wanted" ad on ibmwr's classifieds. The civilian pieces will fit over the brackets for the front crash bars or you can drill the new plastic. In any case, it's cheaper than repainting and won't stop you from reverting to the black & white if you want to.

... for a straight up paint job. Nothing fancy. No pearl or two tone colors.

I too tire of the LEO references and looks but I just love the way the bike rides.

And if my friends call me "Ponch" one more time, they are going to get their nose bloodied. <grin>

I get the Ponch also. I agree that picking up the side panels and tail piece used might not be a bad way to go. You could leave the white front and center tank pieces.

• 1 month later...
Brian PDQ Signs

A steamer is the best. You could also use a hair dryer or a wheel that goes on a polisher or drill.

I do this kinda stuff all the time and I use a straight flat razor blade but then again I do it on an almost daily basis and have the touch so I don't screw up paint jobs.

Best of luck,

Archived