IGNORED

Sirius Radio antenna placement?

ben1364

Any thoughts on where to mount the Sirius Antenna on a R1200RT? I would like to put it on the RCU shelf between the radio receiver and the V-1 but wonder about reception behind/beneath the windscren as well as interference with the two receivers.

That's a common place. Interference will not be a issue for the most part as the antenna is pulling in not sending out.

I have mine attached to the rear side bag basically for aesthetics. I get some signal loss at times especially if we are 2 up but on the open road it's fine. Dense trees or tall buildings cause signal problems no matter where you mount it.

I have a BMR shelf and placed the antenna on the left of center behind the windscreen. Mounted with 3M grey all weather double sided foam tape. I didn't know if the magnetic base would interfere with the GPS, I called Garmin and they told me the 2610 does not have a magnetic compass. I stuffed the extra wire behind the left mirror.

Same as Tony_K tall trees & buildings interrupt the signal, in the same places it's interrupted in the car.

You can see mine here right behind the radio. I have the same experience everyone else is having w/ dense foliage and tall buildings,

streamer.jpg

Thanks guys. I will mount mine on the RCU shelf between the Sirius receiver and the V-1 receiver. Looks like it will be a pretty neat installation, if I do say so! Best to all.

Archived