IGNORED

Remus on a 2004 K1200GT

pbharvey

Dennis Andress

My '02 has a Remus. Overall I like it. Honestly I'm not one for a loud exhaust but the last two bikes I've purchased, a 91 KRS and this K12 RS, came with a Remus exhaust. Having said that I have the stock exhaust and could put it on if the noise bothered that much. I have no plans to do so. The key to making the Remus quiter is to keep the muffler clamp really tight. I occasionally remove the muffler to clean the joint and cover it with anti-seeze. It gets new hardware from time to time too. I'd like to find a resonable source for a new clamp.

To answer your question, yes the Remus muffler fits under the left saddlebag. It actually sits closer to the wheel than the stock muffler. I've noticed that the rear wheel can be removed with out removing the stock muffler but not with the Remus. It is simple to take the muffler off though.

I recomend buying the carbon fiber can. Sure its lighter and that is important, but its also cooler! I can touch the muffler bare handed about two minutes after shutting the bike off. No more melted riding gear, burnt hands, and scared ankles.

Dennis

...Anyone care to chime in pro or con about adding a Remus exhaust?

OK, here's my $0.02

Personally, I prefer the quiet of the stock exhaust. I know of a couple other K12RS riders who are looking to replace their aftermarket exhausts with OEM for the same reason.

From what I've heard, don't believe any of the hype about increased HP with an aftermarket exhaust. It's all BS. Like you really need any MORE HP from the K12 engine anyway!

Only benefit I can see from an aftermarket exhaust is weight savings, which is significant. That OEM exhaust can and CAT are heavy!

It comes down to a trade off between noise and weight, and of course, how much $$$ you're willing to shell out.

DR

Dennis Andress

I don't believe the increased HP hype either. But...

Amongst all the papers that came with my bike was a dyno chart ran after the Remus was installed. It shows 115 hp at the rear wheel, I have no idea how that relates to a stock bike.

I had a 98 KRS hanging out in my garage for a few months. After riding it to work for a couple of days I decided that my bike pulls harder at 100 mph.

There's no such thing as too much horespower....

"throaty" is good, "loud" is bad. most of the Remus' I've heard seem to add a little growl to the bike, not an obnoxious scream like a moto gp bike. (obnoxious in the neighborhood, not at the track)I really like the idea of a cooler muffler; on long trips my stuff in the saddlebag really gets cooked. extra HP is not my primary concern, but is a welcomed benefit. so what's the deal with "remapping" and all that set-up stuff. Is that a one time deal or something I get to continually pay the dealer to "adjust" everytime they service the bike?

Dennis Andress

I don't think my bike was remapped. I believe some aftermarket exhaust systems require that but I don't think Remus is one of them. I do have a slight lean spot around 3,500 rpm but running NGK plugs seems to hide it. This bike has an O2 sensor which should give the bike a method to compensate for something like a header.

The Remus on my 91 KRS was louder. This one has a pre-muffler (maybe its a cat??) where the OEM catalytic converter was. It could be quieter, riding gently down a narrow street can bring a cautionary "bleep bleep" from car alarms, but its not obnoxious on long trips.

Archived