IGNORED

Question for AirHawk Owners

CTRBLNCD1

Just got mine yesterday. I'm enjoying it, and will definetly put it through it's paces next month on a 5500+mile jaunt.

Question is, I'm spending a bit of time getting it adjusted right ( air pressure that is ), once I get the pad to where I want it, will it hold this pressure for a while? Or do they need to be readjusted frequently? I don't need it for my daily commute, but I will cease adjusting it now if it's going to be deflated or need readjusting by the time my trip comes around ( 3 weeks ). I certainly want it setup right for the morning of departure cool.gif

Thanks!

Did you get the top of the range Airhawk (rubber one) or the plastic one?Have found that my rubber one holds air pretty well and doesnt deflate. On occasions have also found myself adding air or removing air sometimes just to try and get a different feel/level of comfort out of the bloomin awful R12RT seat. As soon as I can afford it, and can find a good UK supplier, am going to replace the stock seat. So far Wunderlich and Touratech are the main contenders as these are the only two available over here that will work with stock seat heating controls

I use the same approach as Graeme (hello again). I test adjust every now and then to get the right feel, but ultimately I will replace the seat as well. The sweet spot seems to be about a half inch between the seat and my butt.

Cheers,

Bob

It took me a while to come to terms with my Airhawk, mostly because of the additional seat height it introduces into the riding equation. I fiddled with it until I found the right inflation level and like the others, I only mess with it to find a different feel. I only use it on long interstate jaunts, but if I have to put my feet down a lot, it goes in the sidecase.

Did you get the top of the range Airhawk (rubber one) or the plastic one?Have found that my rubber one holds air pretty well and doesnt deflate...So far Wunderlich and Touratech are the main contenders as these are the only two available over here that will work with stock seat heating controls

I did get the rubber one, so I will anticipate good air "retention", lol. I have had to fiddle with it a bit to get the air right, and I think I'm almost there. Sitting on the bike stationary was how I initially adjusted it. And, as I think you know, the Airhawk doesn't really react the same sitting still vs riding. So, I've had to make small adjustments at various points during a quick ride. I am very happy with the purchase thus far though! clap.gif

Have you looked into Sargeant Seats? The seats are relatively new, and have received some nice marks for comfort, especially over longer rides.

It took me a while to come to terms with my Airhawk, mostly because of the additional seat height it introduces into the riding equation. I fiddled with it until I found the right inflation level and like the others, I only mess with it to find a different feel. I only use it on long interstate jaunts, but if I have to put my feet down a lot, it goes in the sidecase.

Definetely!! eek.gif I'm raised up a good inch or so. Obviously I have started with too much air which really boosted me up. I'm making adjustments which are bringing me closer to the seat and making the Airhawk more comfortable. I am enjoying the floating feeling though. When it was really overinflated, I felt like I was rolling around on a ball...kinda funny, but not safe or comfortable! I won't be using it for local riding, reserving it also for the long trips. I'm dialin her in!

I have the low seat option on the R12RT and I find the AirHawk doesn't fit the narrow seat well. When I sit on the bike the air in the AirHawk moves to the "unsupported" areas (either side) and tend to balloon...

AdventurePoser

Hi Jeff,

It seems that adjusting it so that my bottom was just touching the seat when sitting upright on the bike was best. I'd pump it up, sit on it, and gradually let the air out until I was JUST touching.

Put many happy miles on my AirHawk until I bought a RDL...

Steve

I've had mine on for about 5 months now. Initially, I fooled around with different air pressures. Now, I have it dialed in- trick is to have not too much air in it. I have not touched the air in it for 2 months now- got the rubber one. I leave it on the bike all the time. How German engineers ever designed that seat is beyond me. I wouldn't wish a seat like that on anyone. If I going for a short city ride- I'll grab my sportster with a custom seat on it a lot. Great seat and a lighter bike makes for good city commuting.

Hi Jeff,

It seems that adjusting it so that my bottom was just touching the seat when sitting upright on the bike was best. I'd pump it up, sit on it, and gradually let the air out until I was JUST touching.

Put many happy miles on my AirHawk until I bought a RDL...

Steve

Thanks for the tip Steve, It sounds like I still have too much air in it...

Germans sure can build a fine motorcycle, but they can't design a seat worth a darn. Ok, not quite fair. The stock RT seat isn't THAT bad, but if you've had a chance to sit on the new GT, you'll see what I mean, OUCH! blush.gif

Archived