IGNORED

Reflectors on side case lids of Canadian RT's

s3steve

Has anybody changed them to the BMW logo for the side case lids? Are they available at Canadian dealerships? How much? And finally, are they a pain change?

Thanks Again!!

I changed mine and it was easy. I purchased the logos from a dealer in the US. The reflectors are attached with adhesive tape, and came off easily after I sprayed them with a 3M product designed to remove labels (WD-40 would probably have worked too). Lay the cases on their sides and let the liquid soak in for a while. Then just pull the reflectors off, clean the area thoroughly, remove the protecive tape from the new logo, and press into place.

Jay

Here is picture of my completed right case. As you can see, I also installed the case protector that BMW now sells. These fit right where the ground would otherwise hit the paint in the event of a tipover. I think they look good, and I definitely prefer the BMW logo better than the reflector. I bought these parts online from Max BMW Motorcycles in NH. They have very useful online diagrams of virtually any part of your BMW bike.

Good luck.

Jay

712832-DSCN3454.JPG.63007ad6813f08182c1c98efb0fc2316.JPG

The cases look great with the logos and case protectors!

I didn't even know they had them.

How much for the protectors?

Thanks Jay!

I guess I am curious why anybody would spend money to add the BMW logo to the sides bags. Don't you think the bike is distinctive enought? Besides, the red reflectors are probably better for safety reasons.

I guess I am curious why anybody would spend money to add the BMW logo to the sides bags. Don't you think the bike is distinctive enought? Besides, the red reflectors are probably better for safety reasons.

When I ordered my bike, I just assumed it would come with the logos, as all of the bikes I had seen up to that point had them. When my custom-ordered bike arrived, I was surprised to find the reflectors instead because I had never seen them. It was hardly a deal breaker though, and they in fact may be safer. Several months ago, my case got scratched in a tip-over, and I decided to have it repainted. I removed the reflectors and prepped the case for painting. Since I had to put something back on afterwards, I just decided to go ahead and put the logos on to satisfy my original expectations. I do think they add to the distinctiveness of the bike but in the grand scheme of things, it hardly matters.

Also, it's fun fiddling with my stuff. smirk.gif

Jay

Also, it's fun fiddling with my stuff.
Nail on the head! Gadgets and widgets are excuses for fiddling. If they work, that's a bonus.

I suspect that US and Canadian law require side reflectors. I'm sure someone will corrcet me if I'm wrong on that suspicion.

The R12RT already has side reflectors front and rear, though the rear ones are largely blocked with the cases on. I don't think the logos are illegal or BMW wouldn't offer them pre-installed on many units they have sold here.

I've thought about installing some reflector tape on the cases that would be visible from the side.

Jay

• 2 months later...
I don't know about Canada but, the side reflectors are US DOT regulations.

Then how come some bikes here were delivered with the BMW logo instead?

An error, perhaps? Seen any like that lately?

I purchased the bags with my ST. The dealer put on the BMW badges. Later I found out there was a choice. The BMW badges cost more so I think that was an incentive for the dealer in my case.

I asked my dealer about them and he said that US DOT requires the reflectors on the RT. Dunno more than that.

Its not likely that you will be stopped and ticketed for it though in VA if the shop knows the regulations you will fail state inspection.

My early 05 RT bought in NJ has BMW emblems on the bags.

Maybe dealers werent sure what to use on the early models

or just didnt make much of it and put on what they felt like.

Rich

Can you tell me how the case protectors fit on ive just ordered some are they stick onor do you need to order a fitting kit dealer was unsure.

Just stick on, peal the backing paper, line em up and press on. I noticed the fronts were pulling off a bit shortly after being installed but just kept pressing them on when I'd think of it and they've been stuck fine ever since.

Can you tell me how the case protectors fit on ive just ordered some are they stick onor do you need to order a fitting kit dealer was unsure.

Just stick on, peal the backing paper, line em up and press on. I noticed the fronts were pulling off a bit shortly after being installed but just kept pressing them on when I'd think of it and they've been stuck fine ever since.

Just a hint here--most anything you try to stick to a painted surface of your motorcycle with stick a lot better if you first clean the painted surface with rubbing alcohol. It will remove the wax, silicones, and various other substances that will inhibit adhesion. It makes a big difference.

Yes, I got the reflectors off with 3M adhesive remover, then thoroughly cleaned the area before putting the logos on. Mine seem to be on there to stay and look great, espcially with the contrasting Piedmont red of the case.

Jay

• 3 weeks later...

In the US, the side marker/reflectors indicate front/amber and rear/red. They are a requirement on all vehicles. Enforcement is very lax and spotty at best. In some states they get on you for tinkering with the REAR amber turn signals. I know riders written up for altering them for running lights. BMW's logo isn't red, no sense making it reflective as it wouldn't meet requirements. Canada might have the same or similar requirements.

Archived