IGNORED

Underseat Helmet Lock on 06RT

Albert

Just curious if anyone uses the hook under the RT seat which the manual calls a helmet lock. I'm not sure if it would work or how it's supposed to. My Nolan has the ratcheting strap lock and I can't see how that would work at all with any helmet lock.

Just curious if anyone uses the hook under the RT seat which the manual calls a helmet lock. I'm not sure if it would work or how it's supposed to. My Nolan has the ratcheting strap lock and I can't see how that would work at all with any helmet lock.

You also got a thin metal cable to use with your helmet lock. I forgot where on the bike it is.. maybe in your tool pouch. You pass the cable through the chin piece on a full-face helmet, or through the D rings on any helmet (provided it has D rings).. then hook both ends of the cable over the hook, replace rear seat.

Pain.

Get a small padlock and use the BMW cable to lock the helmet to an exterior source.

Or, take it in with you.

Hmm, haven't come across the cable yet. I know it's not in the tool kit because I've repacked that with some useful items. I'll have to do a little more poking around.

Thanks,

I believe that BMW no longer includes the cable with toolkits on US bikes. If you look at a parts fiche, like at realoem.com , you can find part listed.

Edit: they call it a "bowden cable lock" (part #46632347287)

I've got an '06 (Feb 2006 production), and there's definitely no helmet cable, just like there's no dual horns. That said, I love the bike and would probably never use the helmet cable even if it came with one.

ohh is that what that cable in the toolkit is for, I thought maybe it was a crude garrote put in there in case I find myself in a fight with some harley riders or something and thought, how thoughtful of bmw.

in all seriousness, if you're looking for a way to lock your helmet someplace other than the luggage, I suggest searching the forum back because there was a thread awhile ago which showed a nifty little system that enables you to lock the helmet to the top of the side cases.. I personally just use a snowboard lock cord for mine when my luggage is full.

I don't remember if I learned this trick with my K1200RS or with the RT (and I don't have the RT to test with). But, I could sit my helmet on top of the sidecase and thread the strap under the handle of the case. With the case locked, the handle would effectively lock the helmet.

Hmm, haven't come across the cable yet. I know it's not in the tool kit because I've repacked that with some useful items. I'll have to do a little more poking around.

Thanks,

Cost reduction -- no helmet cable lock. No tool kit. No dual horns. Combined user and service manual vs separate books. No rear fender extender. No second key. Great bike.

The US $ has fallen so far against the EURO I'm surprised BMW is making any money.

My ST came with one of the cables and, while it's handy, it's not too substantial. I'd put it in the category of those devices that might discourage thefts of opportunity by passersby. However, I think it would be pretty easy to cut through the cable.

With the R1200RT BMW continued its long tradition of useless helmet locks!

Yea, kinda what I figured but I thought I'd ask. If this is among the worst things I find to gripe about I'll be a happy boy. Thanks to all. thumbsup.gif

Archived