IGNORED

Help with self-created lighting problem please...

MightNotBeThere

MightNotBeThere

'Evening all.

I've just installed a pair of Touratech HIDs & a pair of PIAA 1100x on my '06 GS. I happily set everything up so that low beam triggered a relay for the PIAAs (mounted on HB engine guards), and high beam triggered the TT HIDs.

Somewhere along the line I was thinking that the low beam went off when I switched to main beam - the idea was that I'd have either two x HIDs & main beam OR two PIAAs (mainly for conspicuity) with low beam.

Everything went fine and the installation wasn't any more of a PITA than you'd expect (largely due to EXCELLENT installation instructions from the guy who sold me the TTs - thanks CW!) - right up to the point when I realized that the low beam doesn't switch off when main beam comes on! #*****g wonderful!

So now I have either two 55w PIAAs and low beam OR two 55w PIAAs + two 35w HIDs + main beam + low beam. This latter arrangement seems like far too much current draw for the alternator/charging system to handle - I suppose about 290w. Can anyone condfirm/deny this please?

Anyone got any ideas how I can arrange for at least the PIAAs to drop out when main beam comes on, please?

Thanks,

Alex

R4ND0M_AX3

This may not be the shortest or best way to do it but try this;

wire a second relay to the high beam. Wire your PIAA power through the normally closed contacts of this second relay (also going through the normally open contacts or the low beam relay). When the high beam is activated the contacts will open and break power to the PIAAs.

So when the low beam=on AND the high beam=off the PIAAs will=on.

Current wise, you should be fine. That is only 180 watts additional which is quite a bit less than a pair of PIAA 910s that are 110W each.

Since you've got some rewiring to do anyway, I'd rethink the configuration entirely and wire them so that a) they cannot come on unless the engine is running and b) you can power them separately for things like rain, etc.

I put a relay near the battery and tapped the yellow headlight wire (emerging from the leftmost boot) as I've highlighted in this shot. Using this source ensures that the engine must be running for the HID lights to burn--having the key on is not enough. I like this added protection against battery drain. I've done the Motolights the same way. Then I put a switch inside my left handguard, easily reachable without having to look.

07.jpg

lights4.gif

MightNotBeThere
This may not be the shortest or best way to do it but try this;

wire a second relay to the high beam. Wire your PIAA power through the normally closed contacts of this second relay (also going through the normally open contacts or the low beam relay). When the high beam is activated the contacts will open and break power to the PIAAs.

So when the low beam=on AND the high beam=off the PIAAs will=on.

Thank you! This sounds like possibly the best of several solutions.

Can you tell me about the type of relay needed, please? I'm assuming that this is sort of the opposite from a normal one? (This is probably painfully obvious, but just about everything I know about automtive electrics can be written on the back of an old envelope using a 4" paint brush!) Where would I get info on how to connect it up?

Alex

MightNotBeThere
Since you've got some rewiring to do anyway, I'd rethink the configuration entirely and wire them so that a) they cannot come on unless the engine is running and b) you can power them separately for things like rain, etc.

I put a relay near the battery and tapped the yellow headlight wire (emerging from the leftmost boot) as I've highlighted in this shot. Using this source ensures that the engine must be running for the HID lights to burn--having the key on is not enough. I like this added protection against battery drain. I've done the Motolights the same way. Then I put a switch inside my left handguard, easily reachable without having to look.

Good points although that is more or less covered by triggered relays.

Currently - no pun intended - I have added:

1) Steibel horn (incredible noise - and people think loud PIPES will get someone's attention?) w/relay

2) PIAAs w/relay triggered by low beam

3) HIDs w/relay triggered by high beam

4) TT fuse block/powersource/relay combined thingy (Can-Bus by-pass effectively) triggered by the parking light, which will be used for GPS, Val 1, jacket etc.

I decided against on/off switches as I don't really see the need - but I'd be interetsed in others' opinion on the topic?

If I REALLY want a set of lights off (for example when aiming other ones or for maintenance work) I can just pull an easily accessible fuse. The low beam (& therefore the PIAAs as well) doesn't work without the engine running anyway. Oddly, high beam DOES work with just the ignition switched on - presumably some regulation somewhere, and I can see the logic in that arrangement anyway.

Alex

R4ND0M_AX3
Thank you! This sounds like possibly the best of several solutions.

Can you tell me about the type of relay needed, please? I'm assuming that this is sort of the opposite from a normal one? (This is probably painfully obvious, but just about everything I know about automtive electrics can be written on the back of an old envelope using a 4" paint brush!) Where would I get info on how to connect it up?

Alex

A SPDT (sigle pole - double throw) will do.

a sigle throw relay has one set of contacts that are normally open. You power the relay and the contact closes. Without power the contact opens and that's it.

With a double throw relay you have a contact that is normally open and the other side is normally closed.

George has you on the right track. Virtually all automotive relays are SPDT. Just wire it using 30 and 87a. That way when the relay is activated it opens the connection instead of closing it.

MightNotBeThere

Thanks to everyone who helped out - genuinely very much appreciated!

Shopping for a relay on Monday and should have it fixed during the week sometime.

Alex

Archived