IGNORED

Day Riding, Experts, Amatuers, Who should come?

Ken H.

Trying to work out my schedule to be there, mid-week is a bit of a challenge, but this is only six hours from KC, so we will see…

Questions about the day riding however… My take on a lot of the regulars on this board, and thus those that will be riding and leading during the days, is that many are, by and large, a bunch of very accomplished, trained, riders. And the event will be in a semi-challenging area to boot. Is there any hope for a newbie (at least to BMW, more sport than tour, in sport/touring type riding) being able to keep up? Or are we (me) destined to be blasted by, left in the dust and more or less just getting in the way?

Similarly, I suspect the ‘style’ of most of the riding would not be inductive to two-up. Correct? Which for me creates a quandary. More likely to get ‘permission’ to go if S.O. also can come, but what is S.O. to do and not get POed while me is out in the twisties all each day?

Bottom line – is this generally viewed as an event for experts, or more general folks?

Cheers!

TBottom line – is this generally viewed as an event for experts, or more general folks?

I'll answer this one, Ken, since I just returned a few minutes ago from scouting the rides with David Bearden and MurrayG.

The answer is that these roads are designed for any kind of riding you want. You can take them very sedately or scrape hard bits in most corners. It's totally up to you. I can promise you that your SO would love these rides, and I'd be glad to talk you through the different roads, how you'd want to ride them, and so on. You'd want to start on what we are calling the "Pig Trail Eight." It's 221 miles with a wonderful BBQ lunch stop in in a little town. Great surfaces, very little traffic, etc.

There's also a route we are calling the "Big Eight" that is longer and has some more technical sections, but it can be ridden very safely by ANY rider who can get to Eureka Springs on two wheels.

Keep in mind that these rides will not be organized. All we've done is scout them for you. Everybody will be given a color printout of the ride, including a map and directions. Then you can ride it alone or with anybody you want. Then hook up with people for lunch.

There will be at least three rides like that. There will also be a large color map with all the good roads marked, so that you can put together your own route.

So, bottom line: ride them as fast or as slow as you like. Better yet, find someone you can ride with who will make it a teaching experience.

We just road 1,700 miles in 3.5 days charting it all out, and I think you'll be very pleased. I know we had the time of your lives smile.gif

Great questions!

The Short Answer: We're family, all are invited!

What we really hoped to accomplish at this Un was more SO participation. In fact, the registrations so far have been for multiple numbers, so I expect there will be more than just me riding 2-up with my babe!

Everyone will tell you (and you'll hear it from us at the UnRally each morning) to ride your own ride! David's got some great suggestions on how to keep large group gatherings from hurting feelings and hurting bikes. The faster riders won't be slowed down, and the slower riders won't be huried. We'll suggest keeping to smallish groups, and to head out at staggered intervals. There will be plenty of time, and plenty of routes, putting you in control. We're all going to take good care of each other.

If your SO doesn't go, who's going to listen to my wife poke fun of me around the campfire? blush.gifsmirk.gif

EDIT: Ya see how fast this guy is? I type a leisurely response, and zoom, cuts in front of me. Just stay outta Baker's way and you'll be fine!

Ken, I have only met up with this group twice, once alone cruising the Texas Hill country and two up at El Paseo. Let me assure you that if this group doesn't make you feel welcome you were hiding behind a bush somewhere and nobody knew you were there.

Texas Hill Country: alone I generally ride faster and I was trying to "wear" in PJ's new bike for her. smile.gif

El Paseo: PJ had never been to NC so our goal was more sightseeing than a race across the mountains. Asking around we found a small group led by local RT owner that was planning a more leisurely pace. Convincing PJ to ride with me rather than ride her own bike was no easy task, but sharing the experience with her was fantastic and better than racing across the mountains alone any day.

Bring the SO and enjoy the experience, together. There is no way I will be able to keep PJ off her bike on this trip, but I'm sure we will be traveling at a relativly slower pace than some of the other Hoons. So look me up and let's ride!

I too was concerned when I went to my first event (El Paseo). Bottom line: not a problem!! At El Paseo, there were several small groups on the same ride but seperated by several minutes. I found myself in with a group a little faster than I was comfortable with so hung back and got with the next group. No problem Best time I ever had. We also tended to "re-group" at scenic sites and lunch etc.

Having only ridden a couple of years, I can identify with your concerns. Yes, many of the people attending the rally will be able to run off and leave you in their dust. Yes, you can still have a GREAT time and many of those same people may wander up later and give you a couple of pointers which will make you an even better rider in the future. I have never been to a BWM event where anyone gave me ANY grief for riding slower than them. Some have passed me and we met up later, but they were always glad to see that I rode at a pace where I felt comfortable and most importantly, arrived safely.

FWIW, the roads in northern central and north western Arkansas can be VERY twisty for long distances and demand a LOT of respect (Highway 7 and Highway 23 come to mind...)...take your time and have a ball. grin.gif

Ken

Come on Down. My wife, a newbie rider will be riding her bike on Tuesday. We ride a more sedate pace because she is still learning. I'll be glad to show you some short senic routes where you and your SO can have a great time at your pace. If you read my write up over in Ride Tales you'll see I rode my own pace while David Baker and David Bearden rode theirs. You are responsible for you, so come on and be responsible for having a ball as you Fall into Eureka Springs. grin.gif Oh yeah, I lived in KC for six years, don't make me come up there to get you. wink.gif

Thanks everyone for the encouragement! Still trying to work out the scheduling issues, but my inclination is to DO IT! With the S.O. too!

My main goal will be to learn, learn, learn! Can’t miss a change to tap the experts if I can!

Cheers!

Thanks everyone for the encouragement! Still trying to work out the scheduling issues, but my inclination is to DO IT! With the S.O. too!

My main goal will be to learn, learn, learn! Can’t miss a change to tap the experts if I can!

Cheers!

Us experts, naw we're just enthusiastic riders. We hope you and the S.O. can come.

YES! Just got approval for the time off, made our reservations at the Alpen Dorf (after more than a couple "sorry we're full calls), and on the UNRally site!

We're psyched! Can't wait to meet all!

Cheers!

YES! Just got approval for the time off, made our reservations at the Alpen Dorf (after more than a couple "sorry we're full calls), and on the UNRally site!

We're psyched! Can't wait to meet all!

Cheers!

Now we're talking! See you soon.cool.gif

I'm a complete newbie to motorcycling and I'll be at the Unrally II. And I've been cutting my teeth on the boring, flatlands of Illinois. Eureka Springs is going to kick my ass! shocked.gif

But I will be riding slow at my own pace and the twisties will have that road calling me a wuss. tongue.gif But I don't care!

Just save me some pizza! grin.gif

Hey Mag,

I'll be right behind you and they will save us some pizza. grin.gif

Marty,

We'll take care of Mag, because he is new to us and we to insure that he has a great time. You're a board vet and you're on your on for pizza. grin.gif

I've got to add my name to the newbie/rookie list also.

I've only had my bike for a little over a month now and have only ridden on the flat and verrrry straight roads around Houston. Our highest point around here is the dang overpass. Hope to hit you pros up for some riding tips and techniques.

Can't wait!

The important thing for the newbies and those unsure of their skills is to "ride your own ride". It is easy to get caught up in the testosterone flow at an event like this. There are plenty of great riders that will be there, and there will be some that are riding beyond their skill level. Just have fun, enjoy the (hopefully) cool air in the hills, ride your own ride, and get home safely... cool.gif

Yeeha! Stephen

"Is there any hope for a newbie being able to keep up?"

No problem. You can ride with Miss Vicki & me. I'm a slow to mid-paced rider. I don't think my style will spook anybody.

The slower pace that SteveB rode in the Texas Hill Country, was by my lead... and I know I didn't scare anyone that weekend!

Also, look up Bill1100. He has a nice pace to follow. His son might be along for this trip and I'm sure, as with last time, they'll stop for a lot of pictures.

I don't take many photos, but I sure gawk at the scenery a lot. crazy.gif

I've got to add my name to the newbie/rookie list also.

I've only had my bike for a little over a month now and have only ridden on the flat and verrrry straight roads around Houston. Our highest point around here is the dang overpass. Hope to hit you pros up for some riding tips and techniques.

Can't wait!

Dex we're glad that you will be joining us. Bring some of that Tx. heat when you come. It is on you to control your bike. Nobody is going to brow beat you for riding at a pace that you enjoy. Some riders on the board go fast, some talk about going fast, some go slow and some talk about going slow. You go the way you want to go. Everyone will have routes they can play on at the pace they enjoy.

You'll have a blast as long as you stay in control of your bike and don't give over control to some idea that you must keep up with somebody else. It is easy to say, more difficult to do, but it's your choice. B Cool, Have Fun. cool.gif

Sounds great and thanks for making this available to riders at all levels. I have no problem riding at my own pace. I gave up trying to impress others many years ago. I'm just really looking forward to watching and learning.

I've got a brother there in Bentonville. I hope that he and his family can come and join the fun.

My experience is that the vast majority of the attendees at BMWRT stuff do the rides alone and at their own pace. We wave, we stop and visit, and we look out for one another but we set our own route and pace.

Don't worry you will have a ball no matter what you are looking for.

• 2 weeks later...
You'll have a blast as long as you stay in control of your bike and don't give over control to some idea that you must keep up with somebody else. It is easy to say, more difficult to do, but it's your choice. B Cool, Have Fun. cool.gif

This CAN'T be stated enough. Everyone has said to ride your own ride. If you are slower than someone behind you, they will pass. Don't rush the day away. Remeber, the faster you ride, the sooner the ride is over.

During El Paseo I took off with a VERY spirited group. It was the most fun I have had with my bike! I wondered how I got out of some of the corners and my little heart went pitter-patter many times. I slowed down the next day and enjoyed a ride with Ed Gray (ECG), Mark (Old Time) and his friend Rodney (Concourse rider). Towards the end of the ride, Rodney and I took off on our own pace and had a heck of a time.

Meet people, bond, and ride.

See you there,

Steve

Steve,

I'm excited that you will be UNing. I look forward to meeting you and putting some miles down. It's gonna be cool temps and hot roads. Not that I know what to do with a hot road. tongue.gif

My SO and I are heading for the UnRally via KC. Maybe we could get together and ride down Monday. We are definitly more in the tour than sport catagory. My wife would love somebody to chat with along the way. And you could help us not get lost and maybe find some more interesting roads.

My SO and I are heading for the UnRally via KC. Maybe we could get together and ride down Monday.
We are also heading down from Kansas City on Monday also.

Others?

A group go there would be great.

What route out of KC are you planning? MO Hwy 71? We live just off of 71.

What time?

Opps! I think this is a thread hijack!

Archived