IGNORED

Autocom vs. Starcom1 Advance

daustin173

daustin173

Any experience / opinions on these two products for a rider to passenger intercom system. Looking for the best bang for the buck, but I want it to work.

Get the Autocom - Quality is A+

A friend got the Starcom and myself and another got the Autocom.

Functional problems were only from the Dealer hooking up the Starcom negative to a screw instead of the battery which caused it to be impossible to use unless the bike was only idling.

Starcoms had cheaper connectors, thinner wires, and was not as user friendly to hook up.

Autocom was much better with thicker wires and better connectors (very noticeably). Autocom will withstand a lot more miles IMHO.

Well worth the extra $$ which was not that much more for me. Also Rider to Passenger was perfect for my Autocom.

chrisolson

I have no Autocom experience, but it is undoubtably a fine product...

I have two starcoms, the original and the new advance. Both functioned perfectly out of the box. Two years after purchase on the first one, the push to talk gave up...they sent a new one at no charge - from the UK! Throw in the original purchase price difference, and I don't know what more a product needs to do than that. YMMV grin.gif

Everyone on this board will tell you that I'm a big supporter of Autocom. This is partially because I'm a manager at one of the nation's top Autocom dealers. I admit that I have no personal experience with Starcom. But I do with Autocom. We configure them to do what the customer wants, sell them, install them and stock the accessories people need. This isn't a sales pitch, it's credentials. We know Autocom.

However, Autocom USA is a little bit upset with me. You see, they think that a manager at one of their top U.S. dealers should be using the latest Autocom system. But I have a Pro-M1 on my bike. This is the Autocom system which came BEFORE the Pro-7, which came BEFORE the new '06/'07 Active and Super-Pro models. And the darn thing refuses to malfunction!

I've had it on my bike for 6 years and 90,000 miles. I run XM Radio through it, along with a V-1 radar detector, and bike-to-bike communication using FRS/GMRS radio. I've even had my cell phone hooked up to it on occassion. And it all integrates flawlessly: the intercom works perfectly, the tunes sound great, the music mutes when it's supposed to, I set the VOX 6 years ago and haven't touched it since, I can talk to other riders, and I couldn't be happier. Oh yeah, I replaced the felt covering over the microphone after 4 years. It was getting a little "ripe" if you know what I mean. Same cables. Same PTT. Same microphone. Same headset for the wife's helmet. No problems. Not a one.

So when Autocom USA starts telling me, "you know, as one of our leading dealers you really should be using the latest product," I tell them that someday I will. As soon as the need becomes greater than my satisfaction. And so far, I'm TREMENDOUSLY satisfied with Autocom.

So, if you're looking for something that works, something that has hundreds and hundreds of dealers, something that has great customer support, something that lasts, something that's worth your hard-earned dollars, I can sincerely recommend Autocom. And not just because we sell it at our dealership. But because I've literally kicked its a$$, and it keeps coming back for more.

Your call.

P.S. One more thing. If you shop around, you can still find a dealer that has the new Autocoms at a special introductory price. DAMHIK.

I've had experience of the older Autocom Pro1 system and the new Super Pro Avi model (changed my bike and thought I'd upgrade the sound system as well). I use the intercom, music, phone, GPS and bike to bike functions with PTT. Both seem to function OK BUT I wish I'd given the Starcom system more consideration for the following reasons

The newer functions of the Avi work well in SOME cases but not ALL.

Most noticeably is the auto volume increase function. This works very well with the rider pillion and music interface and increases the volume function as needed and a great improvement over the Pro1. However, this circuit is NOT used to alter the sound levels for the phone and GPS audio - why not? These have to be set via the devices themselves and have to cater for all speed/wind noise levels and can be excessively loud in some circumstances or just about audible. I'm led to believe that this is NOT the case with the Starcom system and all audio inputs/outputs go through the noise/auto volume circuits.

Added to this strange design omission was that the maximum volume levels I could set on my Nokia 6111 phone and my Garmin Quest GPS (yes I had set the devices to maximum volume) were only just audible through the Autocom at very low speeds and not at all at 40+mph. I didn't have this problem with my older Pro1. This caused a visit to the factory where they fiddled with the main Avi unit and installed different resistors and having to have the riders volume switched up to nearly its highest setting. I can now just about get acceptable volume from my GPS at highway cruising speeds as long as I'm not listening to music. (Why doesn't the music volume get muted anyway when the GPS cuts in with instructions? I wonder if the Starcom system does?)

All in all after paying nearly £400 for my new system I wish I'd taken a slightly cheaper route with the Starcom system and tried to verify their claims re the noise/volume functions working differently to the Autocom.

In conclusion, I should say that Autocom did work with me to try to fix my problems, even sending me a replacement Avi to try just in case of a defect in the original but, in even partially achieving the required functionality, it meant me taking additional time off work to visit their site and extra time to re-install the second unit on the bike to test basic functionality. I'm left wondering if I've made the correct choice?

I have an original Starcom 1 on my 1100RT. It has been great from day one. I have my MP3 connected by cable and cell phone by the blue tooth unit, music is great and phone calls are crystal clear at speeds in excess of UK limits (on private roads wink.gifwink.gifwink.gif).All in all I have paid around £300 to kit out the bike and 4 helmets, one each for my son and wife and 2 for me. A lot less than Autocom. The Starcom boom mike also looks better than the Autocom version

Darren

John Bentall
(Why doesn't the music volume get muted anyway when the GPS cuts in with instructions? I wonder if the Starcom system does?)

If the old Pro M-1 would do this then the the Super-Avi should do as well. It's either your set-up or the factory has altered the priorities using the jumpers or upset the balance with the resistors.

Carry on working with the factory and I am sure that you'll be satisfied.

That new unit is a big box of tricks. Like Fernando, my old Pro M-1 is still giving good service, so I'll not upgrade just yet.

I take your valid point about not leaving until I've checked that everything works!

I have an original Starcom 1 on my 1100RT.

So have i,for about three years now and the only problem i have had with it has been the connector to the headset.This uses the mini din plug and in my opinion this is the weakest part of the system,however after talking to Starcom they agreed to fit a police style jack plug as i find this easier to connect quickly,they did this completely free of charge clap.gif The unit itself has worked perfectly from new and mine mutes the music when the gps cuts in.There is also a manual volume control so you don`t need the gps to be at max volume, in fact my St/Pilot3 volume is set to the first bar.

They definitely get my vote thumbsup.gif

Regards Del

(Why doesn't the music volume get muted anyway when the GPS cuts in with instructions? I wonder if the Starcom system does?)

If the old Pro M-1 would do this then the the Super-Avi should do as well. It's either your set-up or the factory has altered the priorities using the jumpers or upset the balance with the resistors.

That new unit is a big box of tricks. Like Fernando, my old Pro M-1 is still giving good service, so I'll not upgrade just yet.

I take your valid point about not leaving until I've checked that everything works!

The new Autocoms are capable of so much more than the older ones, that proper setup is of even greater importance.

In the "old days" (just a few years back) you had two kinds of connection leads. . .stereo or mono. Now, we have to deal with cell phones that have built-in MP3 players, GPS units that have built-in XM-Radio, etc. etc. This means that with the requirements of stereo, plus ground, plus an out-line (for transmitting), many of these new devices require a 4-pole plug (as opposed to the old simple 3-pole stereo plug).

In order to accommodate this growth in technology, the new Active and Pro Autocoms can accommodate EITHER 3-pole or 4-pole plugs in each of their ports. This gives you tremendous versatility in deciding how to configure your Autocom since which port you plug something into also determines its pecking order when it comes to priority and muting.

There is one exception, and that's Port #3 on the Active and Port #4 on the Pro. Each is the highest numbered port on their particular Autocom model. And each one has a VOX-capable circuit built in. In these ports, only a 4-pole plug (pin) will work.

Autocom included a VOX circuit in these ports in response to public demand. More and more people are installing comm systems in their tankbags. This can often make for a wiring mess in your tankbag since intercom connector cables are long and otherwise designed to be routed all over the length of the bike. With the new Autocoms, being able to connect a VOX-operated FRS radio, hanging off the side of the tankbag, using a short thin cable connected to either the Active #3 port or the Pro #4 port, can help simplify things and make them neater and tidier.

Every day we learn more and more about the amazing versatility and capabilities of the new Autocoms. You can come up with simple configurations requiring simple wiring, or complex configurations for lots of accessories, and Autocom looks like it can handle it all. That means it's expandable as your needs expand.

R4ND0M_AX3
This means that with the requirements of stereo, plus ground, plus an out-line (for transmitting), many of these new devices require a 4-pole plug (as opposed to the old simple 3-pole stereo plug).

<hijack>

Does autocom have a cable solution for connecting a Garmin 2820 (3.5mm stereo out, 2.5mm mic in)?

</hijack>

Are you sure that the 2820 has a 2.5mil output jack. I haven't seen one yet, but I thought I heard that it was a 3.5mil jack. I don't know for sure, just checking. Once we have this clarified, we can proceed to select the correct cable.

John Bentall

Fernando the 2820 has:

a 2.5mm output jack for GPS guidance instructions. This is integrated into the motorcycle mount power cord (same as 2610).

a 3.5mm output jack for music out of the integrated MP3 player

a 2.5mm input jack for a microphone (this is so that a car driver who is not using a bluetooth headset can speak into the mike and hear sound from the speaker built into the car receptacle)

R4ND0M_AX3

AFAIK the 3.5 mm out (stereo) is for GPS guidence, XM radio, Cell phone, MP3/Audio books.

The 2.5 mm input is for the cell phone

I don't know what comes out of the motorcycle cable output.

The new Autocoms are capable of so much more than the older ones, that proper setup is of even greater importance.

In the "old days" (just a few years back) you had two kinds of connection leads. . .stereo or mono. Now, we have to deal with cell phones that have built-in MP3 players, GPS units that have built-in XM-Radio, etc. etc. This means that with the requirements of stereo, plus ground, plus an out-line (for transmitting), many of these new devices require a 4-pole plug (as opposed to the old simple 3-pole stereo plug).

In order to accommodate this growth in technology, the new Active and Pro Autocoms can accommodate EITHER 3-pole or 4-pole plugs in each of their ports. This gives you tremendous versatility in deciding how to configure your Autocom since which port you plug something into also determines its pecking order when it comes to priority and muting.

There is one exception, and that's Port #3 on the Active and Port #4 on the Pro. Each is the highest numbered port on their particular Autocom model. And each one has a VOX-capable circuit built in. In these ports, only a 4-pole plug (pin) will work.

Autocom included a VOX circuit in these ports in response to public demand. More and more people are installing comm systems in their tankbags. This can often make for a wiring mess in your tankbag since intercom connector cables are long and otherwise designed to be routed all over the length of the bike. With the new Autocoms, being able to connect a VOX-operated FRS radio, hanging off the side of the tankbag, using a short thin cable connected to either the Active #3 port or the Pro #4 port, can help simplify things and make them neater and tidier.

Every day we learn more and more about the amazing versatility and capabilities of the new Autocoms. You can come up with simple configurations requiring simple wiring, or complex configurations for lots of accessories, and Autocom looks like it can handle it all. That means it's expandable as your needs expand.

So if the Autocom unit is so clever why weren't the noise/auto volume circuits used for the phone and the GPS connections? After all I'm using the specified links/ports into the Avi unit and the correct Autocom cables to all my devices.

As I said earlier - sounds like a design flaw to me.

John has also verified that the Starcom system mutes the music when the GPS operates and Starcom confirm that that all audio from their units use the auto noise/volume circuits.

I'm still left wondering if the cheaper and seemingly more sophisticated Starcom system would have been a better buy?

Fernando the 2820 has:

a 2.5mm output jack for GPS guidance instructions. This is integrated into the motorcycle mount power cord (same as 2610).

a 3.5mm output jack for music out of the integrated MP3 player

a 2.5mm input jack for a microphone (this is so that a car driver who is not using a bluetooth headset can speak into the mike and hear sound from the speaker built into the car receptacle)

AFAIK the 3.5 mm out (stereo) is for GPS guidence, XM radio, Cell phone, MP3/Audio books.

The 2.5 mm input is for the cell phone

I don't know what comes out of the motorcycle cable output.

This is why I asked. I'm taking a shot in the dark here, since I've not had a 2820 in my hands, but I would bet that if the unit outputs everything (except the phone) through the 3.5mil stereo plug, that it would connect to the Autocom using a standard isolated stereo connector will do the job. A quick call to Autocom USA (888-851-4327) later this morning should verify this.

So if the Autocom unit is so clever why weren't the noise/auto volume circuits used for the phone and the GPS connections? After all I'm using the specified links/ports into the Avi unit and the correct Autocom cables to all my devices.

As I said earlier - sounds like a design flaw to me.

John has also verified that the Starcom system mutes the music when the GPS operates and Starcom confirm that that all audio from their units use the auto noise/volume circuits.

I'm still left wondering if the cheaper and seemingly more sophisticated Starcom system would have been a better buy?

I don't know, Graham. I didn't design it. If it sounds like a design flaw to you, and you're absolutely certain that your knowledge of electronics, as well as your knowledge of what reasons there might be behind the design (integration of future applications/bluetooth/expandability perhaps) solidifies in your mind that this is a design flaw, then by all means purchase what pleases you.

I've said nothing negative toward Starcom to draw such negativity from you. On the contrary, I've been quite honest in that I have no first-hand knowledge of Starcom. I have had to dispose of some Starcom systems we've removed when we've installed Autocom systems as the owners didn't want to keep them (interestingly I've yet to hear of the inverse from any BMW dealer I know). But those were the decisions of our customers. It wouldn't be honest take their opinions and make them mine, would it. Perhaps Autocom Tom can be coaxed out of his laboratory long enough to provide an explanation. I'd be curious, too. But I wouldn't slap a label on something as quickly as you did.

As far as I know, Starcom does a fair job. And, as we've read above, when they've suffered failures, or when a particular component has been shown to be under-engineered and/or weak, they've been willing to repair and/or replace it. And it is to their credit that they own up to their work like that. That's the sign of a company that's working hard, even after the product is released, to get it right. Bravo. Even Autocom has the occassional warranty claim (less then 1/10 of 1 percent, last I heard).

What I've pointed out from my personal experience, is that I've had no such issues with my Autocom for more than half a decade and almost 100,000 miles. No failures. No defects. No down time. No on-the-fly reengineering. It has simply performed as advertised and continued to do so. Autocom may be more expensive. I'll grant you that. Perhaps there's a reason.

As they say, Your Mileage May Vary.

Please understand. No one should buy an Autocom on the basis of what I say. And I don't want them buying it from my dealership if they have an Autocom dealer nearer to them. But they Original Poster asked for opinions and experience. I gather he's going to filter through them to either form an opinion of his own, or support one he's already developed. Providing him with my experiences is doing nothing more than adding to those which he's considering. Yours included.

My comments were not directed at anyone personally but I was merely pointing out that at least 2 key audio ouputs did not go through the noise/volume increase circuits - why not? Why use/design this circuit for speech and music and NOT use it for all outputs. Surely a valid question and one that questions the design philosphy of the new Avi units? We all know that riding a bike at various speeds causes either more or less noise in our helmets and effects our hearing levels, hence the new noise/volume circuits in the Avi but only for music and rider/pillion communications. Why exclude other important outputs?

Surely to have this type of "wizardry" and use it for 2 audio outputs and not other equally important outputs leads one to ask the question especially when a competitors product does?

I guess unless you've experienced the frustration this causes whilst riding you may not be able to really understand my feelings.

Either the phone /GPS is too loud around town and causes ear ache or, if set low enough to allow for this type of riding, is inaudible at higher speeds. This could easliy have been solved in the exact same manner as the rider to pillion and music conundrum was - by using the noise/volume control circuits.

What I am not saying is that the Starcom system is the best. I have no first hand experience of it. I am just pointing out that feedback from them and from users of their system is that this very annoying trate and others I listed above are not apparent their system.

However, Autocom USA is a little bit upset with me. You see, they think that a manager at one of their top U.S. dealers should be using the latest Autocom system. But I have a Pro-M1 on my bike. This is the Autocom system which came BEFORE the Pro-7, which came BEFORE the new '06/'07 Active and Super-Pro models. And the darn thing refuses to malfunction!

What I've pointed out from my personal experience, is that I've had no such issues with my Autocom for more than half a decade and almost 100,000 miles. No failures. No defects. No down time. No on-the-fly reengineering. It has simply performed as advertised and continued to do so. Autocom may be more expensive. I'll grant you that. Perhaps there's a reason.

And this is a bad thing for a dealer to be doing why?!

Sale 1

"So Mr Dealer, what do you use?"

"Well, I've got the latest and greatest cause the old one just isn't upto the job anymore"

"Ok, I'll think about it (thinks why should I get something that will be useless in a few months/years)"

Sale 2

"Well, I have a 6yr old unit, cause even though there are newer ones out there now, the old units been going great for 6yrs. I'll upgrade when I want to, not because I have to"

"Great I'll take one! (thinks, it's gonna cost, but least it will last!)"

Anyways...on the OP question. Never used an Autocom unit. Have had (past tense) an original Starcom. A year after purchase, I'd been through one box, one headset and three headset leads (all replaced free mind thumbsup.gif) I'd been out for a couple of rides with the other half towards the end of that year and just couldn't get the vox to play nice, I'd also discovered the cell phone thing was just too quiet, even though I had the volume control at max and every other device attached set to very low so I wasn't being deafened! I was lucky and managed to sell it on ebay for the same as an Intaride system was new.

The difference is amazing, 30k miles and a year later, its all working as it should, volume is great...don't really miss the auto volume level of the Starcom, leads still do their job as they should and I don't see myself changing the set-up anytime soon, it just works too well for cell, bike to bike, GPS, music and rider-pillion. Having looked at an old Autocom system up close recently and seeing that they have a much more robust headset system, when the time comes and funds allow, I may consider the Autocom. I will never go back to Starcom. I've seen the quality of their first attempt, why risk going back for more?

Just my £0.02 worth. No connection and YMMV!

Steve

And this is a bad thing for a dealer to be doing why?!

Sale 1

"Well, I've got the latest and greatest cause the old one just isn't upto the job anymore"

"Ok, I'll think about it (thinks why should I get something that will be useless in a few months/years)"

Sale 2

"Well, I have a 6yr old unit, cause even though there are newer ones out there now, the old units been going great for 6yrs. I'll upgrade when I want to, not because I have to"

"Great I'll take one! (thinks, it's gonna cost, but least it will last!)"

Steve, you're right. It is a bit humorous. Actually, they're not upset with me, but I do take some occassional ribbing from them. "Uh, all these new kits you're ordering, would one of them be for you, perhaps?" or "Whenever you're ready to join the 21st century, just let us know."

The folks at Autocom USA are really good people. They've been incredibly helpful to us as a dealer and to our customers whenever one of them has had a question we haven't been able to answer. They just like to give me a gentle elbow to the ribs once in a while. We both get a chuckle out of it. I know they're just as proud of the performance of the older products as the newer ones. In fact, I've been told I've got a ways to go before I have the oldest Autocom in the U.S. I hear tell there are dozens and dozens of the old Euro3000's (and even a few models that preceded the Euro) out there still working their magic.

I can't speak about the Starcom. I thought about getting one as it seamed to offer a lot of features for a fraction of the price. But afer reading too many reader issues with it, I went with the Autocom. I got an Active 7 some time ago, and will not upgrade unless I need to. The thing works as advertised. Yes, Autocom is more $$, but worth every penny. Given the quality of the product, it's no doubt I will have mine for years to come.

I bought the Autocom Pro-7 last fall in time for the BMWRA rally (yup paid full price two weeks before the price drop). Hubby didn't have as much available $$ and after a lot of research he went with the Starcom1 system. Both units have performed well.

I'm thrilled with my Autocom - it seems my 'wet' issues with my PTT switch are probably linked to my choice of bike to bike radio, another thread. Just got back from our trip to Athens, GA with daughter eleanor on pillion. The Autocom unit did everything asked.

The cool part was daughter being able to hear the XM Radio and GPS commands as well.

Now, the problem is that the units are not compatible. When we bought our different systems we figured that taking the two kids along on long rides was so far off the list of possibilities as to not be worth thinking about.

NOW if son rides with me, we can't talk and vise versa. So daughter rides with me. (Actually that's okay with me cause my son is a horrible fidget, as a result a nightmarish pillion. smirk.gif )

Pam

Aluminum_Butt

I have a Starcom1 (original, not advanced), and am pretty happy with it. I use it with my GPS, Sirius radio, cell phone, FRS/GMRS. I also use the rider/passenger intercom.

I've only had two complaints - I could never get a handheld CB to work with it (common problem), and I've not eliminated a problem with some noise from my V-1 (haven't had much time to putz with it, though).

The headsets work well. I've had to play with mic position a bit to control wind noise from the helmet - it is worse in a strong crosswind. The auto-volume adjustment works perfectly. I really don't have a problem with the headset connectors - though I can understand the concern about their fragility.

At the time I priced the Autocomm, it was going to be $800 to have cables to hook up all the stuff I wanted. The Starcom was just over half that. I've never had any regrets about my decison.

Fernando,

Any tips on East Coast Autocom dealers who have as much experience installing as you all do?

It would be nice if said dealers were also offering "introductory pricing", as you put it. I would be a buyer in a heartbeat. Interested in a 2730, and rider/passenger intercom as well.

Many thanks. I find myself both abysmally ignorant of the technology and unwilling to climb that particular learning curve -- just want to trust a very experienced dealer.

Fernando,

Any tips on East Coast Autocom dealers who have as much experience installing as you all do?

It would be nice if said dealers were also offering "introductory pricing", as you put it. I would be a buyer in a heartbeat. Interested in a 2730, and rider/passenger intercom as well.

Many thanks. I find myself both abysmally ignorant of the technology and unwilling to climb that particular learning curve -- just want to trust a very experienced dealer.

Call Seth at Morton's BMW. I've heard from a number of people that he's very knowledgeable about configuring Autocoms to do what the customer wants, as well as with installation assistance and advice.

Fernando,

Call Seth at Morton's BMW. I've heard from a number of people that he's very knowledgeable about configuring Autocoms to do what the customer wants, as well as with installation issues.

Thanks for the content, and for the quickness, of this response!! thumbsup.gif

Indian_Scout

Fernando, have they developed the Autocom yet to work with a handheld CB wired to the bikes 12 volt system?

<hijack>

Does autocom have a cable solution for connecting a Garmin 2820 (3.5mm stereo out, 2.5mm mic in)?

</hijack>

I have a StreetPilot III connected to an Active Plus and had to make the patch cord myself. The reason is that the speaker output of the SPIII is a 2.5mm mono jack and the input for port 3 of the Autcom is a three-pronged 3.5mm jack. The signal for the speaker needs to hit the middle point of the three-pronged plug, not the tip as I though would be the case (when I made a mono-to-mono patch cord).

Hope this helps.

Fernando,

Bob's BMW is an Autocom dealer/installer.

I actually purchased my system direct from AutocomAmerica and hubby installed it (hubby just helped some other BMWBMW members with their Autocom at a recent Tech Day).

Pam

Fernando, have they developed the Autocom yet to work with a handheld CB wired to the bikes 12 volt system?

Unfortunately no. Not only do you have shielding issues with CB (which can be overcome with diligence and patient routing and rerouting of the wiring), but having the CB powered by the same electrical system (the bike's) that powers the Autocom creates a Ground Loop Interference problem. And there is no Ground Loop Isolator cable for the CB.

So in essence, wanting to do it as you describe, there are two hurdles to overcome.

• 1 month later...

I had Seth Parelman at Morton's install my Garmin 2730 and my Autocom. Works perfectly (GPS, XM, intercom rider/passenger). He even managed to fit the speakers inside my Schuberth Concept C2, not an easy feat (my wife's Nolan was a "piece of cake" by comparison).

Thanks for the tip, Fernando!

Michael

Archived