IGNORED

What fluid can come out of the center hole on the rear wheel, near the pipe?

claggie96

I'm assuming this is a dumb question, but just want verification. I recently washed my bike and used wheel cleaner on the rims. Later, I noticed a "yellow, milky" substance all over my rear wheel. I then figured out that when I put the bike on the side stand, it was leaking this fluid from the center hole on the wheel, not the lug nuts. I cleaned it up and assumed it was left over cleaner.

However, three days later after a ride, I noticed it again. Both times it was only about two tablespoons worth.

Can this be brake fluid or tranny fluid? I don't think so, but just checking.

Thanks,

Smell it grin.gif

You will know it it is;

1 Dog

2 Gear Oil

3. Brake Fluid

All of these have pretty distinctive smells. frown.gifblush.gifdopeslap.gif

Water and grease oil combo? Using a caustic cleaner solvent will activate all sorts of petrol based products to melt stage. Smell test definitely!

That area is prone to rust. Rusty water dribbling out would produce what you describe. A fellow from Australia (Keith Haynes?) sells a neat little cap that fills that hole and reduces the amount of water that gets in.

ShovelStrokeEd

It is Kenny Haynes and, I passed through Knoxville yesterday. My odo only showed 500 miles for the day so I don't think they moved it to Australia.

It is Kenny Haynes and, I passed through Knoxville yesterday. My odo only showed 500 miles for the day so I don't think they moved it to Australia.
No, it is Keith Haynes ( "Haynes" here on the DB), but I don't think he's making them anymore. Leslie and I each got one and we LOVE 'em. There are others available as well (wunderlich?) but I've heard from shop guys doing tires that they hate the other brands because they always break when they try to remove them and the customer gets PO'd. Keith's are solid! thumbsup.gif
ShovelStrokeEd

Drat, wrong again.

BTW, it could also be a sign that the inner seal on the crown wheel bearing is failing. I'd keep an eye on it. Might even be a good idea to remove the wheel and have a peek.

Joe Frickin' Friday
Smell it grin.gif

You will know it it is;

1 Dog

2 Gear Oil

3. Brake Fluid

All of these have pretty distinctive smells. frown.gifblush.gifdopeslap.gif

Seven years ago a stray cat sprayed my final drive. Yes, my bike was pissed on, and I was pissed off. dopeslap.gif

It is very likely to be water in the hole. Any leaking seals should leak outside the wheel hub.

Loosen the 4 wheel bolts about half way, then pull the wheel away from the hub face. If it's water in there, you should see it drain.

If there's a considerable amount, you might need to remove the wheel so the hub can be cleaned and treated to prevent further rust.

Archived