IGNORED

GPSbabel

Alan D

I'm trying to use GPSBabel to convert Streets and trips .est maps to mapsource gdb files. I end up with a 1kb database that does not work.

I'm using GPSBabelGUI.exe ver 1.3.

Any ideas?

I went through the documentation before and did not see anything that I was not doing. The GUI interface is pretty intuitive except it does not seem to work. Guess I'll try the dos command line.

St0nkingByte

I just figured this out last night!

You need to select Microsoft AutoRoute 2002 as the input file format in the GUI. I'm assuming you have S&T 2006. I just picked it up last weekend for a mere $24.24 at Sam's Club. It is much much better than Mapsource for trip planning.

You need to select Microsoft AutoRoute 2002 as the input file format in the GUI. I'm assuming you have S&T 2006. I just picked it up last weekend for a mere $24.24 at Sam's Club. It is much much better than Mapsource for trip planning.

I have S&T 2005. Can I send you a converted file and see if it works? I don't yet have the Garmin unit but this is a big deal for me in my purchase of a 2720 so I'm very curious if this will work since all my route planning to this point is with S&T 2005. I'd hate to start over using Mapsource.

I tried this at work with S&T 2006 (no mapsource) and it still resulted in a 1kb file. What file size do you get?

St0nkingByte

Sorry I've neglected to include another detail... Aside from using 'Microsoft AutoRoute 2002' as the input format you also need to be using GPSBabel 1.2.8-beta or the new 1.3.0.

It's working now. It copies waypoints but you have to go back and create the route in Mapsource using the waypoints you have imported.

St0nkingByte

hmm. For me it imports the route as a route but it doesn't consider the 'waypoints' in the S&T Route to be real waypoints, just part of the route. It does import 'pushpins' as waypoints so I guess that works out OK.

I just got the Mapsource and converted a couple files. I just don't understand the software. It creates routes, but no waypoints, even though I see the waypoints on the route they are not listed as waypoints. What am I missing?? confused.gif

I'm still playing with this myself. Try different formats like microsoft streets and trips (pin/route reader) or Microsoft autoroute2002 or Microsoft streets and trips 2002-2006 and be sure you have options checked (What? menu) regarding waypoints, routes , tracks.

It has worked for me but I'm not sure which combination.

Good Luck wink.gif

St0nkingByte

Both programs have the concept of routes and waypoints. In S&T they're routes and 'pushpins'. In MapSource the tendancy seems to be to create waypoints for places you want to go and then create routes between the points. The routes may contain 'via points' as well.

In S&T the waypoints (in the MapSource sense) are 'pushpins'. S&T really shines at creating routes and when you pull those into MapSource you get a route with via points. Then when you upload this to the GPS life is grand as long as you stay on the route, if you get way off and you just want to route to the waypoint you'll be sad because the points along your route arn't stored as waypoints, they're just via points on the route.

The end result is you may have a couple options. What you migh want ot try would be to do all your route planning in S&T then pull the route with via points into Mapsource, create your waypoints then and then upload it all to the GPS. One downside is I think someone told me your S&T route can't have more than 10 via points, so your mileage may vary.

Navigating a route on your GPS that was created on your PC using Mapsource, with numerous via points, works just fine so long as you don't recalculate your route on the fly (and as long as you don't have your GPS set to automatically recalculate). If you do re-calc on the fly, your via points could very well be discarded by the GPS. The only points that are really retained are the waypoints. That's one way of explaining the difference between waypoints and via points when using Mapsource and a Garmin GPS. Waypoints survive a route recalculation done on the GPS, whereas via points may, or may not. If your only waypoints are the start and end points of your route, and the GPS does a recalculation on the fly, you'll still end up at your destination, but it may be on different roads than those you carefully selected on your computer when originally creating your route.

Archived