IGNORED

Best touring suit at present?

icub4igook

JerryMather

Dainese

I've been very pleased so far with my Dainese Gore Tex set up that I use for touring.

There's a lot to be said about having an aerostich suit like the ones that our members use.

Of course it does depend on the climate you ride in or will tour in but I can thoroughly recommend the BMW Sreetguard 2 suit for several reasons:

Goretex XCR and Kevlar construction, totally waterproof with tear resistance and has decent pads at shoulders, hips, knees, elbows etc. Water does not pass though external fabric layer, unlike regular Goretex items. As a result dont feel so cold when it rains!

Zip-out lining to jacket and trousers, so adaptable when temperature goes up or down

Under-sleeve venting for additional cooling

Stylish, so doesnt scream 'motorcyclist' at the faint hearted e.g. in restuarants or pubs

It is pretty pricey, but have used one for the last year including through a British Winter, and tours to France and (last week) Belgium. It isnt the coolest of suits when the temperature soars, but I love it for its flexibility and weatherproofness. Highest accolade I can give is that if I was in market for a new suit I'd buy one of these again.

CruisinCruzan

First there is no perfect suit. You have to decide what is important to you based on fit, your tolerance of hot and cold weather etc. For me I will second a recommendation for the Streetguard 2. I did not want the 3/4 length typical of most "touring" suits. I also wanted a suit that would negate the need for carrying a liner. I like a laminated liner as the fit is less billowy and the suit does not seem to soak in the rain. Heat doesn't bother me that much so I am comfortable in pretty much any conditions. I couldn't tell you that the special fabric treatment that is supposed to reflect UV rays is anything more than a gimmick. I also wanted a suit that came in a color other than black. I now wear this suit exclusively and yes it is typical BMW ridiculous pricing. For me it meeets all my needs.

glwestcott

I really like my Aerostich one piece. But, I always take along mesh pants and mesh jacket as well. That way when it gets too hot for the Aerostich I can switch to the mesh. Also recently bought a water vest and like that with the mesh. Problem with the Aerostich is that it is only good up to a point temperature wise and when I take trips here in the West (starting in CA Central Valley) I typically run into a wide range of temperatures over the course of several days riding.

With so many manufacturing companies saying their touring suits are the best its hard to choose!! In your opinion, what is the best touring suit?

Does anyone know much about: http://www.biker247.com/news/1238.asp

I wouldn't buy any suit with Gortex in it. It simply isn't anywhere near waterproof, so it's next to useless for the preparedness I want in a touring garment system. Its primary contribution to the garment is to make it less ventilated. IMHO, you'd be best off focusing on touring suit systems that provide ventilation, and the flexibility to add or subtract layers/modules for warmth or genuine waterproofness. My preference is to add the waterproof layer on the outside, since putting it on the inside leaves you with a wet shell.

I wouldn't buy any suit with Gortex in it. It simply isn't anywhere near waterproof, so it's next to useless for the preparedness I want in a touring garment system.

With all due respect, what a load of rubbish. Wearing my Streetguard 2 suit I road for 3 hours in pouring rain through France last weekend and was perfectly dry when I reached my destination. And about 6 weeks ago was caught in a thunderstorm and torrential rain while riding a loaner F650 (no fairing!!!) while my R12RT was being serviced. Again thanks to my suit (plus Goretex lined BMW Transition boots and Goretex BMW Atlantis gloves) I arrived dry... I even caught myself singing on the way home because I was warm and dry (sad I know!!!)...so your comments re Goretex are a bit off beam.. The Streetguard 2 suit is Goretex XCR so the water just runs off the surface!

aerostich

Hang out in the parking lot of any long distance riding event and you'll see 80%+ of the participants wearing a 'stich. It's not by coincidence.

I will say that I'm really very impressed with the new offering from Olympia as well. I think it's their AST line if I'm not mistaken.

I wear the Hein Gericke Cruise jacket and pants, they're water proof and well ventilated. I bought it as a four season jacket as I can't afford multiple jackets with a mortgage, kids, house renovations ,etc. In my opinion its as least as good as the BMW stuff, but cheaper.

Not sure about the Gortex comments above, as it rains a lot in England and I have always been dry.

Happy hunting.

Cheers,

Bob

I wouldn't buy any suit with Gortex in it. It simply isn't anywhere near waterproof, so it's next to useless for the preparedness I want in a touring garment system.

With all due respect, what a load of rubbish. Wearing my Streetguard 2 suit I road for 3 hours in pouring rain through France last weekend and was perfectly dry when I reached my destination. And about 6 weeks ago was caught in a thunderstorm and torrential rain while riding a loaner F650 (no fairing!!!) while my R12RT was being serviced. Again thanks to my suit (plus Goretex lined BMW Transition boots and Goretex BMW Atlantis gloves) I arrived dry... I even caught myself singing on the way home because I was warm and dry (sad I know!!!)...so your comments re Goretex are a bit off beam.. The Streetguard 2 suit is Goretex XCR so the water just runs off the surface!

agreed. Last week I spent 4 solid hours in some of the most miserable rain I've ever been in, with trucks pitching even more crap my way. My Aerostich Darien on top and Dainese pants and Oxtar Matrix boots kept me dry as can be, and yep, they're all Goretex lined.

I'll chime in with another vote for Aerostich. As noted, it's not perfect, but very close.

The main limitation of the 'Stich is weather over 95 deg. It simply doesn't have enough venting at that point. Living in the Southwest, I still use the 'Stich for most of my touring. That being said, I'm trying a new combo riding to Boise this week for the RA rally. Joe Rocket Alter Ego jacket and Olympia Recon pants. I'll let everyone know how it works out...

George Brown
Aerostitch. End of story. Pick the model and featuures that work best for you.

Ditto, Ditto, Ditto grin.gif

5+ years with my Darien and still very satisfied. With my 'stitch, full face Arai, adjustable windshield, Oxtar boots and 'stitch three finger over gloves I am as snug as a bug during daylong rides in the rain.

I really like my venting machine. It was expensive, but it provides me with very good ventilation, and excellent protection from the invevitable slide for life. Not waterproof, but the rainsuits always in the right saddlebag.

I'm not IBR contestant, but it did help me go 900 miles in one day last summer without any complaints.

TracerBullet

I have the Motoport Kevlar Air Mesh for super humid hot days and the stich for everything else

As some are saying the stich is the benchmark everyone else strives for

This thread reminded me of a question that's been going around in my brain for a few months.

I have gotten very curious about the life time of aerostiches and other gear. I know that helmets have a 3-4 year life, and the foam rots from the UV.

How about our other gear?

How do I know that after 4 years of UV, my new Darien pants won't rip at the seams or be weaker than they are now? I've heard that people have 10 year-old stitches. Have you had accidents in them? Have they performed well? As well as a newer suit?

What about my mesh pants? They've changed color in 2 years, and I don't know how long the teflon threads are effective with strong UV hammering.

Has anyone got information on this? Thanks!

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

I'm on my second Roadcrafter. This is a one-piece and my first suit was a two-piece. I, too, ride in the rain frequently and would choose the two-piece over the one. I get some water leaking through the zipper teeth at the crotch (seam sealing does nothing). With the two-piece the extra jacket material overlapped at that point and I was always dry.

Twice a year I wash the suit and reapply waterpoofing solution. Nikwax is a good product. The Nikwax helps the fabric repel water on the outside of the garment. It's true that the Goretex is laminated on the underside of the outer fabric and that water can soak the outside layer, but I have always remained dry under the suit (the aforementioned leak point not withstanding).

Let us know what you decide! smile.gif

[quote

With all due respect to this poster...

Should you go with this advice, I highly recommend you take note of this testimonial and send them a PM of thanks the day your Gortex lets you down in the rain, because it will happen. But, don't take my word for it, numerous product tests by numerous reputable outdoor gear publications covering hiking, biking, climbng, motorcycling, etc. over the years have chronicled Gortex's lack of ability to deliver on its waterproof claims. Caveat emptor.

Bugs

In your post you said the following:

All I was doing was giving a view from my perspective of having used my Streetguard 2 suit extensively over the last year including riding in some extreme weather conditions, where it performed admirably. It is up to the indiviual to decide whether any suit/fabric will be suitable for their requirements.

I have re-read what I said and I was wrong to write 'With respect, what a load of rubbish' and for that I apologise if that caused offence. But please dont sarcastically invite PMs to me just because I disagreed with your opinion of Goretex. No product will ever be perfect, but maybe, just maybe the newer XCR fabric and the way it is used in the suit is an improvement over what went before. All I can say is it works for me, and I would buy again. If it doesnt work for you then thats fine too...live add let live.

I've got an Aerostich one-piece and a Darien outfit. The key with most any Gore-Tex fabric is to use a fabric treatment that will cause the water to bead up. Once this beading characteristic wears down--either through use or through washing--the outer fabric becomes saturated in rain. The rain will not pass through the Gore-Tex layer, but the fact that the outer layer is saturated prevents water vapor from passing outward through the Gore-Tex layer. So, your perspiration does not evaporate and you eventually get soaked. But, it's not from the failure of the Gore-Tex membrane; it's because the garment can't "breathe."

There are products from Nikwax and the Gore-Tex manufacturer that restore this repellency, and you should use them when you wash the garment. Incidentally, I believe that XCR is simply a more permeable type of Gore-Tex laminate. It's still a good idea to use a product to treat it with Nikwax or something similar.

For me, the Darien's a better all-around choice than the Aerostich, simply because it's much cooler to wear on hot days. I'd say that the one-piece 'stich probably gives better crash protection, but I tend to only wear mine when the weather is somewhat cool. I've found that the Darien tends to be a bit drier in rain. The 'stich has a tendency to let some rain enter through the lower part of the front zipper, resulting in a not-so-refreshing soaking of your crotch in a hard rain. eek.gif

The big advantage of the 'stich over the Darien, in addition to the fact that it's a little more crashworthy, is the ease of putting it on and taking it off. It only takes a few seconds.

Added: I checked the Gore website regarding standard Gore-Tex vs. its XCR product, and confirmed that the only difference between standard Gore-Tex and XCR is the latter's greater permeability to water vapor. Both fabrics still benefit from proper care, including the use of an external water repellant. The XCR product is a superior product (I've got a Mountain Hardwear jacket with Gore-Tex XCR), but it's not because it's more repellant to rain; it's because it "breathes" more. On a moving motorcycle, I'd opine that the added breathability of XCR would not make a huge difference, as long as, whatever fabric you're using, you use an exterior water repellant.

At the risk of starting to sound like a Streetguard2 / Goretex evangelist (eeek!!!) you are absolutely right that the XCR increases the breathability and therefore potentially decreases condensation. The most noticable difference I have found is that the suit doesnt feel like it absorbs water through the outer layer so I have certainly felt less damp and cold, and it dries out really quickly. I wholeheartedly endorse regular reproofing of all such materials with NikWax.

Here is some info off the BMW website

The active breathing features are enhanced as a result of the GORE-TEX® XCR® 3-layer laminate by 25 % compared to standard GORE-TEX® 3-layer laminates. The 3-layer laminate also serves to restrict the absorption of moisture into the upper material, thus reducing the cold sensation and extra weight that generally present problems when riding through the rain

Graeme--

Just to be clear, I think you're correct that XCR would confer some advantages over standard Gore-Tex. In truth, though, no Gore laminate is going to be as cool as mesh materials when it gets really hot.

I'd note a couple additional things about Aerostich products. First, their customer service has been nothing short of stellar in my dealings with them over the years. Something to consider. One negative of the Aerostich products, though, is that they're fairly stiff and they stay stiff until you've worn them for a while and they've gone through a few wash cycles. You're getting a tremendously tough fabric, but at the expense of a bit of initial comfort. I've not owned a BMW suit, but they always look pretty comfy.

The Streetguard 2 suit feels pretty stiff too as it has elbow, arm, shoulder, back, knee etc etc pads, gives a sense of being protected (which is quite nice, though perhaps misplaced in comparison to leathers...though the kevlar must be making some positive contribution...after all you don't see many leather bulletproof vests! I know its all to do with abrasion resistance... I have a set of Dainese leathers, bought because they were a reputable brand...and these have split along the perforations of the trouser zip. Not much abrasion resistance there, eh!!! Just glad I never put them to the test. Dainieses were brand new, now less than 2 years old and bought over internet... impossible to get sense out of Dainese, but hey, thats a whole different story!!!)). After 4500 miles of wearing it BMW suit is loosening up a bit but still looks very smart off the bike, which is good for me as I often visit clients on the bike and don't want to turn up looking too scruffy.

Living in Florida I have the Motoport Kevlar Air Mesh suit. The stich can not compare in this hot humid climate to the Kevlar Air Mesh. The Air Mesh is stronger than the Stich and also has a 7 year warranty!!

As they say do not knock it if you haven't tried it

Anything wears out over time. My 5 year old Aerostich Roadcrafter (two piece) has seen me through all kinds of weather including plenty of day long frog stranglers. When it starts to get leaky I'll get a new one. I own a whole bunch of motorcyle clothing and the Aerostich is the best, especially for touring. Just one of the advantages of the Aerostich is that if it starts to rain you don't have to stop and pull on rain gear. If I was limited to one piece of riding gear the Aerostich would win hands down.

With all due respect to this poster...

Should you go with this advice, I highly recommend you take note of this testimonial and send them a PM of thanks the day your Gortex lets you down in the rain, because it will happen. But, don't take my word for it, numerous product tests by numerous reputable outdoor gear publications covering hiking, biking, climbng, motorcycling, etc. over the years have chronicled Gortex's lack of ability to deliver on its waterproof claims. Caveat emptor.

At the risk of starting to sound like a Streetguard2 / Goretex evangelist (eeek!!!)

I really like the looks and the features of the Streetguard 2, and would really like to try out the suit. Unfortunately, the MSRP of the suit approaches $2,000 in the U.S. eek.gif and I just can't wrap my brain around the idea of spending that much on a single riding outfit, even if it does sport leading edge features. Not that I'm complaining, mind you. By spending my money judiciously--watching for closeouts and sales--I've amassed a decent riding wardrobe. I've still got a couple of extra hangers, though. grin.gif

I get hot easily so chose a mesh pant and jacket by Olympia. They come with removable liners and for $40 more I pack a rainsuit. All has been well for me thus far. Have ridden in 40- degree weather and came out no worse for the wear.

I think a 'stitch would kill me. Maybe over a trans-Antarctic ride I could handle it but if the temp hit near 80 I would surely die.

The BMW suits seem great but with the money I saved on the Olympia I was able to buy a pair of matching Bimoto's.

Wow $2000 !!!! For that sort of money I would be looking elsewhere too. I bought two Streetguard 2 suits for me and my wife when I got the bike and got over 10% discount from the dealer. I think we paid around £750 each (about $1380 at current exchange rates)... seemed expensive at the time, but has proven to be worth it in the long term. I guess you guys are getting stiffed by the exchange rate in addition to the premium that is usually levied on any item carrying the BMW blue & white propeller!!!!!

I may have to retract that $2000 statement. I was looking at a Canadian review, so that number is NOT in U.S. Dollars. blush.gif I'll do some searching to see if I can come up with the correct U.S. price.

I may have to retract that $2000 statement. I was looking at a Canadian review, so that number is NOT in U.S. Dollars. blush.gif I'll do some searching to see if I can come up with the correct U.S. price.

Well, what little credibility I had is shot. grin.gifdopeslap.gif

A&S BMW lists the Streetguard 2 jacket and pants at $725 and $525, respectively, for a grand total of USD $1,250, so our prices are actually a bit less than in the U.K. As a point of comparison, a two-piece Aerostich is $767.

Grrrrrrrrrrr typical that BMW can ship a suit all the way to the USA and sell it at a lower price than in 'rip-off' Britain!!

ps Have never seen an Aerostich suit over here, which is a shame as they seem to get rave reviews

Our prices don't include taxes, which yours do. In most places, that will add 6 - 8%, though there are some states that don't tax clothing. Generally, out-of-state vendors will not tax sales to purchasers in other states, but you sometimes pay a premium for shipping.

Overall, though, the U.S. is a highly competitive marketplace and we generally pay less for comparable products than folks in Europe and the U.K.

I guess it is a factor of having a much bigger market to go for, together with an expectation of competitive pricing?? People in th UK are generally a bit uptight about haggling over price, which is a shame as it works! Anyway, am glad at least someone is benefitting :-)

Riding all year long, rain or shine in the Pacific Nortwest, and after my get off doing 70 mph last month, I am firmly behing the Areostich, 100%. Keeps me dry and slides wonderfully! grin.gif

Archived