IGNORED

I need a spark plug wrench

bwr

When I purchased my 1150RS used it did not come with the original tool kit. Not a big deal for the most part, but I don't have a spark plug wrench that will get waaayyyy down there. A 5/8" T-handle wrench that I already had is too big to fit down the bore.

When I last ordered some parts from Bob's BMW I tried to order one from them and was told that they didn't have any, and that the BMW wrench was a cheap POS anyway: just go to an auto parts store and get something better eek.gif

So, what do I need? Should I try to track down a BMW wrench elsewhere?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Spark plug socket and a extension is all you need. Nothing special You probably have one in your tool drawer.

Silver_Fox

Brian,

I picked up a Kobalt 16mm 3/8 drive socket at Lowe's. p.n. 03466. It is a thin wall and inexpesive. Good quality tools.

You can use an extension and get-r-done. clap.gif

Steve

Snap-on 3/8 in. drive spark plug socket S9706KA used with a locking extension available from your local Sears store.

When I last ordered some parts from Bob's BMW I tried to order one from them and was told that they didn't have any, and that the BMW wrench was a cheap POS anyway

I would like to challenge the Bob's BMW representative. I own a BMW spark plug wrench and it is very high quality. It's outrageously expensive (I think it was $55), but it is one of the tools I won't loan out.

Research it yourself then you'll have to find another reason for choosing an alternative.

My two cents.

Bill Allen

I think he's talking about the one that comes in the under-seat toolkit. I took that one and welded a metric nut on the outer end so I can torque to spec. with torque wrench. (and left the holes so I can use it at roadside, in case I don't have my torque wrench along!) Works just fine, no matter what Bob's says.

And be sure to get a thin-wall socket. A regular socket, even a spark plug socket, will tend to get wedged in place and be difficult to extract. DAMHIK.

I think he's talking about the one that comes in the under-seat toolkit. I took that one and welded a metric nut on the outer end so I can torque to spec. with torque wrench. (and left the holes so I can use it at roadside, in case I don't have my torque wrench along!) Works just fine, no matter what Bob's says.

And be sure to get a thin-wall socket. A regular socket, even a spark plug socket, will tend to get wedged in place and be difficult to extract. DAMHIK.

Oh, that one. Yeah, I don't use it primarily because I can't torque it. Great idea welding the nut on the end, but it might be easier to purhase a more functional alternative.

Regards,

Bill Allen

Archived