IGNORED

Radio bay storage insert for R1200RT

Albion

Saw this item in a PDF of the BMW accessories catalog, but it has a lousy desciption, and a poor photo.

Sounds like a useful way of providing a little more storage space. However, it is not obvious if the thing is waterproof or has an open top.

Wondered if anyone has bought one, and what they think of it?

Have one don't use it. It's good for holding small items, your hand fits, if flat. I use the radio bay to store my half cover there is room on top for a compact item or two.

I believe it is open on the top, it utilizes the lip for the radio adapter.

I looked at these, and to be honest I thought they were kind of a rip. I ended up stuffing some bubble-rap in mine to bring the “floor” up to an area I could reach easily, than inserting a folded dishtowel. To my surprise, the bubble rap and dish towel fit perfect enough that I haven’t even lost change through it (molded to the sides). Now I have a StarCom system, and the phone adapter in wired into that compartment. Perfect for phone, wallet, keys, tiregauge…

Have one don't use it. It's good for holding small items, your hand fits, if flat. I use the radio bay to store my half cover there is room on top for a compact item or two.
Ditto. The thing is really small and the opening is smaller than without it plus mine wouldn't stay seated properly. I put a clean rag in the bottom to smooth out the various radio connectors and such and I now use the radio bay to store my insurance and registration, owner's manual, etc. all in a folding pouch.

Yes, that's it. Didn't know the price, but at $35 it does represent the normal 'good value'. Not. From what you guys tell me, this isn't really worth a grunt.

But I will take up suggestions on using the radio space, there isn't enough of it around to waste.

Again, thanks

I just put a plastic shopping bag [ Sainsburys etc ] in there , and put items inside that - it's easy enough to locate the bag handles and retrieve items from it , or pull the bag out completely .

Steve

St0nkingByte

A large ziplock freezer bag works nicely as well. Its much easier to pull your bag of stuff out and root around in it than it is to reach down into the radio box, in my opinion.

I'll second the zip lock bags but I also found something else useful. Aerostich has a number of small bags, some with zippers some with drawstrings, that are perfect for lots of items. I bought several fleece drawstring bags for the cell phone, camera and gps. They really keep the fragile stuff from getting banged around in there, and the color coding makes for easily finding what you're after. I'm sure there's other sources for these bags but you can see what I mean at http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/Rider-Bags-p-2-c-279.html

Archived