IGNORED

How often does water in the gas tank happen?

chrisstroh

JohnBeaven

As the petrol in the fuel tank is consumed it is replaced with air. The moisture in the air then condenses in the fuel tank as the temperature decreases.

Yes, the water sinks to the bottom of the tank.

duckbubbles

Yes, the water sinks to the bottom of the tank.

And stays there for a long time. Remember the old steel tanks? They would rust out along the lowest points. The aluminum tanks will corrode. I can't say what the "plastic" tanks will do over time, probably nothing to the plastic, but even they should be cleaned every so often, like when you replace the fuel filter. If it gets bad enough or you get a slug of water in bad gas, the engine could stop running, causing a lot of other problems.

Frank

SAAB93driver

One thing you need to try and make sure is that the little drain hole next to the filler neck is kept clear. This drain hole lets water that accumaltes around the cap opening from rain or washing the bike drain off through a hose that exits by the right foot peg.If it is clogged then any water that is trapped can easily go into the tank when you open the cap.

Joe Frickin' Friday
And does the water sink to the bottom like it does in oil?

Definitely will sink. Won't hurt the plastic tank. I don't know how low the pump pickup is, which is to say that I don't know how much water you have to get in the tank before the pump sucks it in and clogs the filter. I know that several people here on the board have had filters clogged in this manner - but "several" on a board of 11,000+ members, some of them with a lot of miles, isn't a real high incidence rate.

FWIW, I have done the external filter mod - and I keep a spare filter under the seat. Just in case.

Alcohols in fuel will keep any water dissolved and in suspension. It's getting hard to find fuels without ethanol here (MN) but the one advantage is that water will get swept into the engine along with the petroleum stuff. It also means that any water from the supplier will be swept into your tank..............

Stephen_Chase

Why not put some methyl hydrate in the tank. It will attract the water. This "trick" works quite well in colder climates in winter to thaw a frozen gas line. I'm pretty sure it will remove any water from your tank as it 's likely to be only a small amount, if any.

Stephen

Can I just add some isopropyl alcohol to the tank once in awhile? And if so how much?

Archived