IGNORED

Remus Grand Prix Exhaust Report

Zenhog

The stock exhaust was too quiet and restrictive for my taste. Though powerful, when revving, the motor seemed like it was gasping for airflow.

No longer...I ordered the Remus full system - header, collector and Grand Prix carbon fiber pipe. The dealer ordered it a week ago Tuesday June 20; it arrived on Wed. the 28th.

The new header weighs 8 lbs, collector 1 lb., the exhaust 5 lbs. - Total 14 lbs. The shop weighed the stock system, Total 22 lbs. .... 8 lbs. weight savigs.

The quality is superb.

The dealer charged 1 hr labor to install it, w/tax about $89.00.

The left rear pannier fits fine with the new system.

I've been able to ride a couple hundred miles after the switch and LOVE IT!

The sound at idle or high revs are like no other machine I've ever heard; I can't really compare it to any motorcycle engine I've ever heard. According to my auditory and reverberation senses, its awesome and inspiring.

At idle it is not abnoxious and but lets you know a potent engine is running. At highway speeds at 3-4k rpm, noise levels are comfortable for my taste for long distances.

Open the throttle quickly and above 4k rpm and the beast comes alive with a combination tone like a big bore 4-stroke dirt bike and a Moto GP V-4; thats as close as I can describe it.

Decelleration burbling can be controlled with proper throttle response.

I won't make claims for specific power gains. But I am very pleased with the difference between the stock exhaust system and the Grand Prix pipe. My reality/perception is - throttle response is smoother, the motor revs a bit quicker, and the motor feels stronger above 4 k rpm.

Bob near Albuquerque

Awesome Bob! I had a Grand Prix on my old R1150RT and it sounded superb. Thinking about one for the R1200RT, any chance of any pics????

I see in the pictures the head pipes appear to have the "Brown Haze" common to the stock system.. Is it the same as or different?

I see in the pictures the head pipes appear to have the "Brown Haze" common to the stock system.. Is it the same as or different?

The pipe had several hundred miles on it when the pics were taken. Can't predict what they'll look like after thousands. Now with 600 miles they haven't blued as the stock pipe had near the heads. They have a slight bronze tint to them.

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

Zen,

When I got my Remus Revolution(used about 10,000 miles), the headers were that dingy light brown from being ridden in the rain. I installed it anyways hating the look. On a whim I got out the "Luster Lace", (a wire spoke wheel polishing strands of fabric impregnated with polishing compound) and started working away. It took a little while(less than an hour) but my headers shined up like chrome. It takes about 3-4 tankfuls of fuel to re-gold up the pipes. The pipes stay shiney untill you run in the rain and then it is buff up time again. I too love my Remus system, although it is an alumminum Revolution can, which I may anodize black this winter.

...I too love my Remus system, although it is an alumminum Revolution can, which I may anodize black this winter.
I was in the garage yesterday looking at my now brown remus headers and decided a black ceramic coat might look kinda cool.

Archived