IGNORED

Improving FM reception on MP3 player?

Draftermike

Draftermike

One of the procedures I use for gathering music for my MP3 player is to let it record hours of music from a radio station then edit out the stuff I don't like on the computer. I've done this while in Kansas City with very good success but in my home town the signal is almost clear enough but not quite, and some static noise comes and goes. The station's tower is just over the hill from my house, but in addition to that I have taken the unit to within about an eight of a mile of the tower and the signal still wasn't static free clear. In Kansas City I didn't even locate the towers, just had it seek and it found a couple of stations that worked well.

The unit is a little Creative ZEN Nano plus and I'm assuming the ear phone wires might be its basic source of antenna. Positioning the main unit seems to affect reception a little but it never achieves a clear consistent signal.

Any thoughts on how I can get it to get just a little better reception?

but in addition to that I have taken the unit to within about an eight of a mile of the tower and the signal still wasn't static free clear.
In that case something is wrong. Could the receiver be defective, or perhaps some strong local interference? Is the problem with a single station or all of them, and what does the static sound like? Is it poor s/n ratio (hiss) as you would experience with a weak signal or does it sound more like some sort of interference?
Draftermike

It has a weak reciever, which I knew from researching the unit before I bought it. It will only pick up the strongest stations, but can do so effectively in the K.C. area. It is a poor s/n ratio (hiss) and, now that you mention it, has only been with this one station. The unit does require a very strong signal so I might try to locate another tower in this area and see if the same thing happens with another radio station.

Also, sometimes a nearby radio signal can be too strong and overload the receiver, causing all sorts of performance issues.

Draftermike

That's a good thought too. The tower may not actually be over the hill, just behind some trees. I'll try from further away and see what happens.

Archived