IGNORED

06 K1200GT clutch question

VikingRider

VikingRider

Hi All..

Just picked up the new K1200GT grin.gif only 300mi so far, and have a clutch question....

I own/owned several "dry clutch" BMW's (GS, LT, RT) and my car is a stick......but dadgummit I cant seem to get this new GT wet clutch under control.

To me, the friction zone seems to be somewhere near the full release position & I seem to end up revving the engine between shifts. dopeslap.gif

To me..it feels like a worn out clutch. I tried to slip the clutch in a higher gear... it does not slip .

I've tried adjusting the numbered wheel on the lever, to no effect. Also, it being a hydraulic clutch, there is no adjustment down there...

I've called my dealer to question the friction zone, and he said the GT/R/S bikes are all like that. tongue.gif although I would like to feel that for myself. (Dealer is 2hrs away)

If I only squeeze the clutch a little..I can manage control...but then when I jump on the GS/RT..I have to pull all the way in or risk missing the shift.. Starting to get irritating eek.gif

So..the question is..do any of you 06/07 GT/R/S owners notice this with your clutch?...Cuz im about ready to cry foul and head back to the dealer.

Master Yoda....help me crazy.gif

Took a few miles to adjust to mine. Although the actual friction zone on mine seems about the same as on my LT - same hydraulic actuation even though the LT is dry - it still had a different feel. My RT clutch was a cable so it could be adjusted...no real comparision.

I found I got a better handle on how the GT clutch engages by experimenting a few times finding the zone at idle - just releasing at idle withouth throttle - it actually will motor away, although slowly grin.gif

I've tried adjusting the numbered wheel on the lever, to no effect.
By now I'm sure you've figured out that only adjusts the physical distance of the lever from the grip. I have somewhat short fingers so I use the #1 postion.

My 05 S is the same... you have to let the clutch out almost all the way which means slipping the clutch is almost impossible (as you have a lever distance of 1/2 inch from fully engaged to fully disengaged.

It took a few miles for me to get used to it -- along with the really sensitive throttle.

After 4000 completely trouble free miles, I think I have it figured out. :D

beemerman2k
Took a few miles to adjust to mine. Although the actual friction zone on mine seems about the same as on my LT - same hydraulic actuation even though the LT is dry

I thought the K1200LT had a wet clutch as did all the K1200 bikes (RS, GT)?

Rich06FJR1300

nooo...all those bikes have dry clutches. Only the new series of K bikes BMW started using the wet clutch.

Took a few miles to adjust to mine. Although the actual friction zone on mine seems about the same as on my LT - same hydraulic actuation even though the LT is dry

I thought the K1200LT had a wet clutch as did all the K1200 bikes (RS, GT)?

The K1200LT (and the K1200RS and previous generation K1200GT) has a dry clutch. The new 2006 K1200GT has a wet clutch like the K1200R and K1200S

I too had similar problems when I first picked up my GT. I just couldn't get smooth gear changes as I used to do on my old K12RS.

I played with the lever adjustment, practised changing gear etc. all to no avail UNTIL I read a post on another site, this cured my problems.

So in the hope that it might fix yours I'll repeat it here.

The problem isn't to do with the clutch. The problem (in my case and other posters too) was in the amount of free play in the THROTTLE cable adjustments. Too much slack here leads to jerky gear changes. Simply adjust most (if not all) free play out of these two cables and see if this helps.

VikingRider

Now a technical question...

Snooping around on the bike (I wish I had the service CD)

Does anyone know what the adjustment screw is for, that under the clutch housing? Appears to be coming out of the engine case.

It looks like a pinch bolt...with a slotted head and "degree marks" on the pinch retainer.

(I know..a picture would be helpful...I'll try to post one...unless someone already knows what this is)

• 3 weeks later...
NHRoadrunner

Glad to hear it's the clutch, and not me. I am through the first 300 miles on my new GT, and I am still shifting like a rookie. Embarrassing. I hope I can get used to it. When I start with (too) low throttle, the whole bike shakes and rattles from the vibration coming from clutch getting rough friction. Does that go away over time? My 2004 RT clutch took a couple of thousand miles to get really worn in, but it was never as bad as the GT.

Now a technical question...

Snooping around on the bike (I wish I had the service CD)

Does anyone know what the adjustment screw is for, that under the clutch housing? Appears to be coming out of the engine case.

It looks like a pinch bolt...with a slotted head and "degree marks" on the pinch retainer.

(I know..a picture would be helpful...I'll try to post one...unless someone already knows what this is)

There should be two of them. Those are the balance shaft adjustment brackets.

Mick

Archived