IGNORED

Why we love our valley.............

Francois_Dumas

Francois_Dumas

Just a small trip to the ski resort of Meribel-Mottaret, the highest place of the Meribel Valley.

Nothing fancy, although the road from our house up to Mottaret is quite pleasant riding, with another 6 or so hairpins and excellent views.... only 7 miles down the road.

The photos will hopefully show you WHY Nina and I are in love with this valley, in ANY season !

Here is a shot of 'Meribel Mainstreet' :lol: :lol:

78052679-L.jpg

A view back down into the valley reveals the little village where Nina and I have our appartment....... on the left side....

78052680-L.jpg

This is the 'Dent de Burgin', the mountain peak that we see from our balcony.... close up it looks a lot more barren than from a distance... and less 'peaky' too

78052681-L.jpg

Actually, there is an 'iron way' going over it. That means that there are steel cables and little ladders suspended from it, that mountain climbers can use to follow the summit...... not for me, thank you !

78052682-L.jpg

That is part of the Mottaret resort up there.... the bike is parked halfway up to it...

78052683-L.jpg

The winter took its toll on the roads again, many of them are cracking up and the ground beneath them is sagging... needs repair again.... and more tar snakes !!

78052684-L.jpg

This is Mottaret with the Mont Vallon towering over it. The mountain is some 9000 feet high and there are two ski runs running down from it... one large cable cabin going up to the crest.

78052685-L.jpg

Ski runs are NOT passing below this rock.... it will come down one day for sure... and is as big as a small village ! :shock:

78052686-L.jpg

This mountain top is called the Saulire, and you can see the cable car going up there. Another 9000-feeter. I don't like the ski run coming down from it because the first part is steep and always littered with terrified beginners. That leaves little room for manoeuvering down..... blush.gifops:

78052687-L.jpg

In summer we hike these slopes, and even climbed on to the Saulire (from the side it is not as dangerous looking as you may think)....

78052688-L.jpg

A view north from the base of Mottaret.

78052689-L.jpg

Same direction, but showing a bit more of the valley below. The houses belong to Meribel..... in a few years the whole valley will be full of chalets I'm afraid....

78052690-L.jpg

By then it will be time to leave... for now the farmers and their cows still have a place......

78052691-L.jpg

Francois

Francois ,

Idyllic .............. I love mountains ........ one day , I 'm going to ride some roads like those .

Steve

Francois, you're a tormentor! I'm sitting in the office, the air condition is dying, the outer temp is 32C and raising. But! I've 4 more days left to take my helmet and keep my sight focused on the Alps! clap.gif

Great landscapes... needless to say! thumbsup.gif

kz

Francois_Dumas

One day, Steve ! thumbsup.gif

Where are you heading, Zoltan ? (Sorry for the torment smirk.gif ).

It's our annual Alps trip. This year we're heading to Austria - Czech Rep. - Bayerischer Wald - Garmisch-Partenkirchen (BMW meeting) and nearby - then down to Austria - Italy (Dolomites) - Slovenia - and back to home. 3000 km approx.

Francois_Dumas

Sounds like a marvellous trip !! Make sure to make lots of pictures ! I'd love to attend the BMW meeting one day.... not this year though frown.gif

Safe travels !!

It's our annual Alps trip. This year we're heading to Austria - Czech Rep. - Bayerischer Wald - Garmisch-Partenkirchen (BMW meeting) and nearby - then down to Austria - Italy (Dolomites) - Slovenia - and back to home. 3000 km approx.

Hey Zoltan,

My wife and I will be in Garmisch for the BMW biker meeting, want to meet up for a beer or dinner?

OK, Francois, stop this RIGHT NOW! This is not the first time you've posted pics of that place. And if you don't stop, why, we're gonna hafta....come over there.......with our bikes......um....ride those roads......er, uh......force you to lead rides.....take pictures.....drink your beer (yeah, that'll get ya!)....and any other thing I can think up after I stop looking at those pictures......again! blush.gif

Francois_Dumas
OK, Francois, stop this RIGHT NOW! This is not the first time you've posted pics of that place. And if you don't stop, why, we're gonna hafta....come over there.......with our bikes......um....ride those roads......er, uh......force you to lead rides.....take pictures.....drink your beer (yeah, that'll get ya!)....and any other thing I can think up after I stop looking at those pictures......again! blush.gif

grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Can't help myself.... and I am working on preparing a 'place to land' once you do decide to come over..... but more on that on my 'private forums' wink.gif

As usual gorgeous photos and great report...

Heck...I'd RIDE over there if it wasn't for that dang ocean grin.gif

Thanks for the great share?

Heck...I'd RIDE over there if it wasn't for that dang ocean

Problem solved! You might want to pack a lunch though.

aquacycleboy.jpg

Thanks once more for sharing Francois. The Alps are a wonderful place and your photos do them justice.

We have not taken the RT over them yet, but I am sure that in the not to distant future we are going to make it there.

Stu

Heck...I'd RIDE over there if it wasn't for that dang ocean

Problem solved! You might want to pack a lunch though.

p><p> <a href=]http://watersportsrentals.net/db5/00486/watersportsrentals.net/_uimages/aquacycleboy.jpg' alt='aquacycleboy.jpg'>

A beautiful idea...

Wonder if a boxer moter could be fitted to that contraption?

Archived