IGNORED

Riding to the south of France......

Francois_Dumas

Francois_Dumas

Or at least close.....

Having crossed the Alps via the Telegraph, Galibier and Lauteret I was finally descending towards the town of Briancon, where I hadn't been since 1994 or thereabouts. It was then that we learned more about the area between the Savoie (Alps) and Mediterranean.

And now we are thinking of trying to find land there.. and then a builder to put a house on it... We'll see.

For now I just wanted to go back and get a feel of the land again.... and sure enough it is VERY different from the more northern part of the Alps, where we are 'at home' in our secondary residence wink.gif

As soon as you ddescend in the valley south of the Galibier the grass turns yellow, there is more dust on the road sides... less of the lush green that we' re used to. But then again, warmer as well.

I rode from Briancon to Embrun, partly around and then across the lake, then westward towards Gap, from where I followed the Route Napoleon back to Grenoble. From there I took national roads all the way back home to Meribel !

When the day was done it turned out that I had done 500 kilometers in little over 10 hours...... A pretty high average for mountain travel !

Here are some piccies !

Looking northwest, towards where I just came from..... already the grass is yellow here.....

77579543-L.jpg

77576963-L.jpg

The French army on the move along the N94 between Briancon and Embrun

77576964-L.jpg

The lac of Serre Poncon is of an eerie blue !! One has to see it to believe it, really. This photo is not 'doctored' !

77576965-L.jpg

Same lake from a better vantage point.....

77576966-L.jpg

In the distance you can see the bridge spanning the lake. The bridge is at Savines-le-Lac, a little town where I had an excellent lunch...

77576967-L.jpg

The signs on the intersection, just at the bridge. It shows I was between Briancon and Gap.....

The dark clouds over the mountains in the north are the reason I did not have desert !!!

77576968-L.jpg

The restaurant on the left...

77576969-L.jpg

I did not make pictures for quite a while after that, being afraid of getting caught by bad weather.

Thunderstorms were predicted in the afternoon and I did not fancy getting caught by them.....

It turned out okay in the end.. but better safe than sorry.

This lake is north of Gap.....

77576970-L.jpg

77576971-L.jpg

The famous town of Corps, where Napoleon stayed on his return from Elba...

77576972-L.jpg

Then I took a wrong turn somewhere and 'happened' onto this wonderful little castle.....

77576973-L.jpg

Near Laffrey I looked sideways and saw this......

77576975-L.jpg

I was ready for another short pause anyway, so turned onto the parking. The statue turned out to be what I thought it was, a monument for Napoleon.

I read the sign near it and learned that here he met with the French Army, on his way from Elba (where he was banned to) to Paris.

According to the history he rode up to the awaiting army alone and told them to shoot him there and then, or join him to take over the reigns of France once more.

The army turned and joined him.

The statue had been in Paris for a long time, but was eventually transported to this place, where the actual encounter took place.....

(I hope I remembered the story correctly, I apologize if I tell it wrong here...)

77576974-L.jpg

The rest of the ride home was hot and painful (my behind started acting up again)...... but I found this interesting sign painted on the National Route, that I did not want to keep from you......

77576976-L.jpg

Happy travels !!!

Francois

Francois,

Wonderful pair of tales from your recent trip. I enjoyed the alpine views and also the French countryside. The blue of the lake looks like the typical glacial coloring we have here in Alaska and the Yukon when lakes receive inflow from glacial streams. I've also seen this in New Zealand under similar conditions. Thanks again

Take care,

Dave

The French army on the move along the N94 between Briancon and Embrun

77576964-L.jpg

Who are they runnin from this time dopeslap.gif

All I see are two bike one parked and one ridin toward town..... grin.gif

Thanks Francois

Great Pix.....

Whip

As always, Francois...nice pictures. One of these years I'll make it to southern France

(by the way, why is it they refer to southern France as 'The South of France'? Is there a 'South of England' or a 'south of Belgium'?)

Regards,

Mike O

bart_vanreeth

by the way, why is it they refer to southern France as 'The South of France'? Is there a 'South of England' or a 'south of Belgium'

I think "the south of France" is a translation of what the French call "le midi". Somewhere under Lion there is a separation line "la séparation des eaux" which means that all the water south of that line flows towards the mediterean sea and all the water north of that line flows towards the Atlantic and North sea. Funny thing is that even in the traditional French cuisine cooking south of that line is based on the use of olive oil and north of that line they cook with butter. I believe there is a south England too, but I don't now if you can compare with "Le midi". Should ask our British friends. There's no "the south of Belgium" but we do have a language frontiere between the north and south. North is dutch speaking and south is French. I live near that language border. There's a village not far from where I live where that language border cuts a street in two. One side is dutch the opposite side is French... no wonder the belgians invented surealism grin.gif

Francois_Dumas

Thanks for watching and all the nice comments folks.. it was a truly wonderful trip, even if riding alone is a little less fun. Next time I'll make sure Nina is on the pillion seat again.... smirk.gif

Whip, I have to react; the French military are as skillfull and courageous as their US, UK, Dutch and other allies.... I know folks in all of those armies. I also know they certainly not always agree with their orders !

And my recent visit to Normandy again reinforced that belief, by the way.

In my humble opinion it is the politicians who muddy the water, not the soldiers obeying them frown.gifeek.gif

As for the 'south of France', I think Bart already answered it. But there is also a distinct change in landscape AND culture moving south of the Alps, or south of the 'center' (which again is different from the north). This one big country ! wink.gif

What we call 'south' is distinctly more mediterranean and more 'latin' ..... life is (even!) more laid-back, with more importance on cooking and wine, even longer 'siesta' .... grin.gifgrin.gif

Guess why we are thinking of moving there??? smirk.gifsmirk.gifwink.gif

"Whip, I have to react; the French military are as skillfull and courageous as their US, UK, Dutch and other allies.... I know folks in all of those armies. I also know they certainly not always agree with their orders !

And my recent visit to Normandy again reinforced that belief, by the way.

In my humble opinion it is the politicians who muddy the water, not the soldiers obeying them"

No argument here.....orders are orders...

Whip

Archived