IGNORED

Thanks for sharing

BMW_pingvinen

BMW_pingvinen

I just wanted to thank you guys for sharing your knowledge in this forum. My R1100RT just died a couple of days ago, and is for now sitting in the shop waiting for a mechanic to have time to look at it. I did a couple of hours searching an reading this forum, and from all the useful stuff I found I guss it's most probably the Hall sensor (or it's wiring) or the fuel pump that let me down. At least I can lower my shoulders a little - none of these things are within my capacity to handle, and they can't be all that expensive....

BMW_pingvinen

Yeah, I've been thru a few alternatives myself, and I cannot rule out anything yet, so I appreciate your ideas.

But the thing is is just died on me in low speed in the middle of traffic, and repeated starting attempts only resulted in loud bangs from the exhaust. Everything seems normal, the starter turns the engine, the RID is ok, but no sign of ignition. Checked one of the plugs, there is a spark (don't know if it is good enough, but anyway)...

I hope to get some news from the shop in a few days.

I hope to get some news from the shop in a few days.
Hi, and welcome to the DB!!!! . . . and be sure to let us know how it turns out! thumbsup.gif

We are all indebted to those who have gone before us. smile.gif

BMW_pingvinen

Just had a phone from the shop. After messing around a bit really doing nothing to the bike, just checking things and looking for error codes I guess, it started...!!???

I am of course glad it did, but I don't like not having a cause for it's sudden death last week!

I start thinking maybe it could be some component getting wet in the heavy rain we had a few days prior to the breakdown (had to run thru a couple of quite deep "ponds" on the road back home), which has now dried up?

Anyone has a suggestion about hwat to check when I get it back home?

-s

-s

Look up "HES" or "Hall Effect Sensor" on the forum. Seems to be a frequent culprit, but obviously, you need to check everything electrical (plugs to wires to ignition coil etc.).

Or, heck, ya could just get a powerwashwer, and really flood the bike. If you can just break it again, you'll be able to figure out what's wrong (again). dopeslap.gif

Just kidding, but it'd probably be better than finding out about it on the road.

BucksTherapy
Just had a phone from the shop. After messing around a bit really doing nothing to the bike, just checking things and looking for error codes I guess, it started...!!???

I am of course glad it did, but I don't like not having a cause for it's sudden death last week!

I start thinking maybe it could be some component getting wet in the heavy rain we had a few days prior to the breakdown (had to run thru a couple of quite deep "ponds" on the road back home), which has now dried up?

-s

If it is intermittent it is going to be hard to find. A few suggestions to add to the list:

If it only hapens when it is hot then check coil and hall sensor.

If it only happens when it is wet start checking connections paying particular attention to the plug under the tank that connects the tank's electrical to the bike's.

No reason or rime to when it happens then check fuel pump by checking pressure when it is not starting.

I'm sure you will get many more suggestions but that's a start.

No_Twilight

-s

Sounds like HES to me. The insulation fails an you have a short that is not that good. Mine refired 3 or 4 times in the days after the initial failure as I was troubleshooting.--Jerry

BMW_pingvinen

The bike has run fine for a couple of days now. I want to check up on the HES but it looks like that will be a lot of work, seems like I have to dismount a lot of things to get to it. Need some planning.

-s

• 2 weeks later...
BMW_pingvinen

OK guys, I have now done a 650+ mile cross-Norway and return trip with my wife. Partly warm and nice weather, partly quite heavy rain. A lot of narrow roads with a lot of bends smile.gif

No problems whatsoever.

Yesterday I removed enough fairing stuff to get to the cover in front of the engine and remove that. I didn't remove more stuff but what I saw looked OK. Insulation on the HAL wiring is fine.

Guess I just have to rie on and hope this never happens again cool.gif

More miles for everyone grin.gif

My HES died 10 miles south of the BMW Rally in Lima,Ohio last July, When I finally got home and looked at the old one, it' looked, fine, taking the shrink wrap off the wiring, the burned sections were in there. I'm thinking you are going to have a dead bike again. It's just a matter of when/where.

Cheaper to fix in the shop, than on the road.

Archived