IGNORED

GS style mirrors for the R1100RT

Deaner

I did a search and as usual came up empty. I am getting a Jo's Upac in the next few days and plan on using it for the Paonia Top O' the Rockies rally on the 15th. I have a feeling the stock RT mirrors will not be able to see through the bag so I need something to attach to the brake and clutch levers.

Now, BMW, in the great capitalist tradition, wants $60 per mirror, $1 for the washer and (get ready for this) $9 for the bolt to attach it. Homey don't play that...

I ran to a local Honda shop they had several after market mirrors ranging from a reasonable $10-$20 per. But they brought up a few questions:

1) thread size and pitch? Any ideas?

2) They looked like they would hit my wind screen when the handle bars turned. How can this be avoided. I thought maybe heating the arm and tweeking it so it won't hit the screen.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dean

• 2 weeks later...

All right, it seems the right side (brake) is threaded and the left (clutch) is not. I've started a thread pitch thread in the Oilhead section but now that I see this is a special probblem I figure this thread may help me out more.

I can't make the Ruckus mirror fit the right side. The thread on the Ruckus mirror is too short to feed a nut on the left side.

I realize this thread is not as interesting or sexy as "My RT Won't Start" But I need the wisdom of the great board of BMW none-the-less.

I have until Wednsday next to solve this little dilema.

Gotta go, work beckons...

Thanks,

Dean

As mentioned in the other thread, the right (throttle) side hole is a left-hand thread. Don't know the size of the Ruckus mirror stalks, if large enough you could turn it down and thread them with a left hand die to fit, or maybe drill out the throttle housing and attach them with a nut underneath. Since the left doesn't work easily either, my solution would be to ditch the Ruckus mirrors and get some R/GS or K mirrors that bolt on. However, since DouglasR mounted Ruckus mirrors on the road, it stands to reason he didn't have these issues. Perhaps you should PM him and see what part # his Honda mirrors are.

I bought some GS mirrors for my '98 RT in May of this year. The mirrors are $42 apiece (your dealer wants $60?) and the bolt is $2. With the Florida 6% sales tax, the total was $95.38 with all hardware. Chicago BMW would get them for you even cheaper. However, I realize that you probably want to figure some other way, so this post will at least give someone who is thinking of putting on GS mirrors an estimate of what the dealer charges. Hard to see out of those RT mirrors when you got a lot of luggage for a trip strapped on.

realshelby

I put a set of cheap EMGLO mirrors on my '04 RT. I think they were $20 for two. I just drilled and tapped the end of the shaft that goes thru the switch housing. Then you can screw an allen head bolt/washer in from the bottom. Works good and I couldn't live without the bar mirrors now!

Charles Elms

I have a '97 RT. I have installed a a Honda Ruckes mirror on the left side. Must use a nut to secure. Only minor problem is that it will hit my large CeeBailey windshield at full right turn at low windshield settings . I can live with that for the additional rear view it gives me when I'm carrying camping gear. I only mount it when I need it because of the windshield problem. Considering a small notch in windshield to solve problem.

Archived