IGNORED

elevator shoes

phoenixtexas

phoenixtexas

Please don't laugh, but I wanted to pass this along. I'm a vertically-challenged (5'7", 29" inseam) rider who wants to flat-floot my bike. My solution: 2.5" elevator shoes to wear when riding. Lowering the bike can cost $1,500, the shoes cost $50, and the way they're designed, you can't tell they're elevator shoes by outward appearance. Maybe a great idea for some female riders as well. You can order the shoes everywhere off the internet. For you tall guys, let the snarfing begin.

For you tall guys, let the snarfing begin.

Not a tall guy and sure ain't gonna laugh because I too have had some issues with taller bikes and my LT is certainly one of them. I spent $500 on the "low" saddle from Corbin for this model and I'm still trying to get the rework done well enough to be able to use it. I've had a nightmarish experience with Corbin for the most part, but I will heap plenty of Praise on Dan Spellman at the California plant, who stepped in and made right a whole lotta wrong.

Anyway, one of the best solutions I eventually found while battling with Corbin and tiptoeing off the stock seat was a pair of AlpineStar boots. Wearing them allow me to flatfoot the pavement in most circumstances but there are times when it's rather difficult to wear my boots-like when I'm heading into my office or meeting clients.

I've been thinking of some of those thick rubber shoes I've seen in the malls--not exactly the comic book elevator shoes I think you're sort of alluding to, but frankly, if they allow my feet a complete meet with terra firma then I'll take a pair--make that 2 pair--one black, one brown!

Glad you found something that helps you!

clap.gif

Firefight911

Give Stevie Nicks a call! I am sure she has a pair or two lying around. grin.gif

(TONGUE FIRMLY IN CHEEK)

pipenslippers

Daytona M Stars Gtex also add about half an inch (which does make a big difference). Also a really good, warm, comfy strong pair of boots with great aftercare service.

Brian

Which Alpinestars ?

Either I'm a complete moron ( an observation that has been made about me in the past, I assure you!) or AlpineStar doesn't see any need to state what model of boot their AlpineStar "road boot" is on the boot itself. Here's all I can tell you from the boot itself and the "care manual" that came with it (Yeah, I'm a pakrat--I keep just about every scrap of paper that comes with my toys):

Made in Romania (for about $.06 cents)

Leather upper

Synthetic liner (goretex)

Synthetic sole (recycled Chernobyl rubber perhaps?)

Actually, for the price (about $165), the boots appear to be well made and are very waterproof yet breathable. They've got a stiffer than hell ankle and are exceptionally "grippy" on just about all types of road surfaces I've encountered so far.

The one drawback I have discovered is in the zipper-it's sturdy to be sure, but it is a real sumbeetch to pull up completely!

(BTW, I purchased these at my local BMW dealer and I'll bet they weren't much of a bargain. I'm pretty sure you can find them cheaper, just remember to add an extra half size to your shoe size when you order em)

IMG_0001.2.jpg

A friend did that and, he could down shift but he could not get his foot under the lever to up shift.

I do not experience quite that level of difficulty in getting that stiff toe on the AlpineStars to go under the shift lever but it does take some getting used to, that is for sure!

Give Stevie Nicks a call! I am sure she has a pair or two lying around.

I think I'd rather call Rick James....

grin.gif

"YOOOOWWWSAAA- I feel GOOD! HEH!"

My concern would be shifting. I'm 5'11" and wear a pair of thick soled Doc Martins with steel toes and had to adjust my shifting. It is a little awkward comming to deep turns where I need to quickly shift down then up. At least for me.

pipenslippers
My concern would be shifting. I'm 5'11" and wear a pair of thick soled Doc Martins with steel toes and had to adjust my shifting. It is a little awkward comming to deep turns where I need to quickly shift down then up. At least for me.

The Daytonas have about half an inch on the heel and only a bit extra on the sole. I don't have any problem with gear changing (once I adjust the lever for my riding position) and it does make a big difference to me 'flat footing' the bike while my wife gets on. I am 5ft 6in, with a 29/30in inseam. Recent bikes - R1100S, K1200RS, R1200ST, K1200GT. No problems with any of them (although I always go for the low seat option). blush.gif

I just bought my first R1150RT and tried 3 or 4 different types of boots. Most seemed cheap and uncomfortable.Little zippers, thin soles, rubbery tectures were abundant. I went to a Redwing Boot Store and was amazed at the difference in the Quality and Comfort. It just proves that 100 years of bootmaking does make a difference. I found a superior boot at 60% of the price of most riding boots. Sofar,Sogood!

FYI, the Daytona M Star boots won't help at all unless you can already get both balls of your feet firmly planted ground while standing on the bike. Plus the downside is you feel like you're waking around in high heels.

Either I'm a complete moron ( an observation that has been made about me in the past, I assure you!) or AlpineStar doesn't see any need to state what model of boot their AlpineStar "road boot" is on the boot itself. Here's all I can tell you from the boot itself and the "care manual" that came with it (Yeah, I'm a pakrat--I keep just about every scrap of paper that comes with my toys):

Made in Romania (for about $.06 cents)

Leather upper

Synthetic liner (goretex)

Synthetic sole (recycled Chernobyl rubber perhaps?)

I have the exact same boots (and I'm 6'3"!). Bought them over a year ago. I like them a lot. They also have stood up very well. Excellent quality as far as I can tell.

pipenslippers
FYI, the Daytona M Star boots won't help at all unless you can already get both balls of your feet firmly planted ground while standing on the bike. Plus the downside is you feel like you're waking around in high heels.

If you can't get the balls of your feet to touch the floor, then it's a non starter anyway. As for the high heels, well, don't knock it until you try it (but the matching stocking/suspender outfit doesn't really count as ATGATT)

Brian dopeslap.gif

I have BMW Goretex boots and had my local cobbler add 5/8". He did this by grinding off the tread pattern then vulcanising two layers of rubber then adding a Vibram sole. I cut off the vibram treads where the footrests are. After five years the soles are still perfect with no delamination. Cost $100 and worth it. I can change gear up/down without problem but already had peg lowering kit which supplied a new gearlever so this might have helped

704644-BMW-Goretex-sole-side.thumb.jpg.a474364ad56a87754cdfdad3e1c2a10d.jpg

Archived