IGNORED

K1200RS self servicing

Hornblower

My bike is now 6 years old and my 6000 miles service is usually quite expensive - about €500. I have some mechanical experience (vintage Fiat 500 maintainence) and was wondering how realistic is it for me to start servicing the bike myself? Where do I get a service manual/CD, do I need special tools/ should I keep supporting the service trade and let the mechanic do the work? Any thoughts please.

My bike is now 6 years old and my 6000 miles service is usually quite expensive - about €500. I have some mechanical experience (vintage Fiat 500 maintainence) and was wondering how realistic is it for me to start servicing the bike myself? Where do I get a service manual/CD, do I need special tools/ should I keep supporting the service trade and let the mechanic do the work? Any thoughts please.

Check Motobins in the UK for a CD.

Bruce C

Thanks Bruce - that was quick! There are two on offer, 1, K1200RS 2000> ISSUED 2001 FOR THE 2000 ON MACHINES and 2, K1200RS 1997-2000. I have a 2000 model so how do I know which I need? Any idea?

Do it (or most of it) yourself!!! Changing oil (engine, transmission, rear end) and filter is pretty simple. Flushing brake fluid and replacing with new is relatively straightforward with an ABS-equipped bike, and dead simple if not ABS equipped. Replacement of hydraulic clutch fluid is pretty simple. Determining if spark plugs need replacing and replacing them is trivial. A compression test is easy (and requires only a cheap compression gauge). Setting the valves is pretty easy if you take your time at it... And so on.

Bottom line is that you can do all, or nearly all yourself, and save a lot of money in the process.

Bob.

JerryMather

Check out over Here .

These guys can help you with most of your questions. thumbsup.gif

Archived