IGNORED

Oil filters for less $$$ (K75/100/???)

edwar067

I just wanted to pass on something that will hopefully benefit others. The Fram PH6063 oil filter is just about identical to the BMW oil filter for K bikes according to my reading of the IBMWR parts substitution page. That filter may be had at www.partsamerica.com for $8.49 which is about half the price of the filter from BMW. To maintain that price advantage, you need to order at least six filters. This bumps you up over $50 for your order total and gets you free shipping. So get six for yourself and be set for several years of riding or go in with a buddy or two and be set for the year. Mine arrived today and they look just like the BMW filter that I bought the last time I had to do an oil change.

Please be sure to confirm the application for your bike, and just so I don't get into any trouble, I am not making any claims despite the obvious and substitute parts at your own risk (and I have no financial relationship with PartsAmerica).

Cheers,

David

Sorry but Fram is not a filter I would use on any engine including my lawnmower. There are other filters in the price range you quoted which are of much better quality than the fram filter.

Sorry but Fram is not a filter I would use on any engine including my lawnmower. There are other filters in the price range you quoted which are of much better quality than the fram filter.

Hey I'm just trying to help. You are welcome to name those filters for the K75, the prices, and where to get them whenever you have a chance.

Not trying to start any wars here so please check this website out. http://www.ibmwr.org/otech/partsubs.html

Also one of the contributors to the site posted this message:

"Caution: the construction of the Fram 3614 filter may have changed.

Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 20:28:10 -0500

Regarding the "Alternate Oil Filters" for a K-Bike, specifically the Fram 3614, you may wish to add a note that Fram has started putting a "sure grip" coating on the bottom half of their oil filters.

Anyone wishing to use a Fram 3614 filter should make sure that it does NOT have this coating as it tends to DISINTEGRATE in the oil pan of a K-bike (and R-bike?). Upon chaning my oil today, there were many black flakes of plastic at the bottom of my oil pan."

Some filters listed for K bikes are:

Amsoil ASF-57

AC Delco PF-53

Hastings 157A, LF157

Motorcraft FL-271, FL-793

Purolator FCO-201, PER-241

Wix 51348, 51785

Hope this is helpful. Oh, one more thing, if you already have a BMW filter socket take it with you when you go to buy the filter so as to pick a filter that is compatible with your BMW socket otherwise you will have to get another socket to install /remove the off brand filter.

Archived