IGNORED

Adding heated grips...Difficult?.....Expensive?

creekstone

I am considering a used R1100RT that does not have heated grips. How hard, and expensive, is it to add heated grips?

If short on cash a cheaper alternative is Oxford heated overgrips. These are velcro wrap arounds that work pretty well. Fit for winter, easy to remove when the weather warms up.

The BMW kit makes it easy to install factory heated grips, but there's one thing to check first. Not all of the 1100RTs had holes drilled in the handlebars to route the heated grip wiring (the earlier the bike is the more likely it is to have the drilled handlebars if it wasn't equipped with heated grips at the factory, or so it seems.)

To find the holes check the indentation on the backside of the bars for a hole at the top (the other end of this passage is at the grips, and is intended to route the heated grip wires.) If the hole doesn't exist you have non-drilled bars and I don't think it would be cost-effective to buy a new set of drilled bars, alternatives would be to find a set off of a wrecked bike or perhaps have the holes drilled in bars you have. Of course you can also install the grips without the holes in the bars, no problem with that, it just won't look as neat.

The rest of the installation is pretty simple and the BMW kit contains everything you need.

I have a '96 RS that didn't have the drilled bar ends. After lots of investigation into the different options I went with the kind that have electrical elements on a sticky backed sheet. You place them under your grips, they have two heat levels and are unbelievably effective. You do need to add a resistor to the throttle side or it gets too hot. And all oilheads have a live fused lead in the fairing that is intended for the factory heated grips. Most motorcyle shops can order them. I think they were less than $35 and include the switch but not the resistor.

• 1 year later...

Hi. I just joined this site and find it very informative. I bought a 2000 r1100rt 3 years ago and wanted to install heated grips. The dealer told me I needed to buy new handlebars to the tune of $600. I just read your response and checked my handlebars. As you described, the holes are already there! Thank you for the info!

Do you know where to get the BMW heated grip kit you descibed?

I am considering a used R1100RT that does not have heated grips. How hard, and expensive, is it to add heated grips?

After commuting regularly in sub-freezing temperature, I'd recommend just getting heated gloves (Gerbing or whatever you fancy). They work lots better than heated grips when you really need them. I suspect they would be less expensive and put less drain on the bikes charging system.

Do you know where to get the BMW heated grip kit you descibed?
I don't have the part number handy but there is a kit that includes the factory grips, switch for the dashboard, wiring, etc. If you have the drilled bars you are good to go.

Your local dealer can look up the number for you, or if you want to save a few bucks you can give Chicago BMW or Hammersley BMW a call, they both have an Internet parts department that provide a discount.

I have a '98 RT that had a defective left hand heated grip. I bought an original BMW replacement. Expensive-change back from a $100 bill. When I replaced it, I found that the bottom hole in the grip would NOT line up with the tapped hole in the bars. I took out the top screw and put in the bottom screw and then the top would not line up. It was a mismatch. I kept telling myself I would stop by the BMW place and show the owner or service writer, but because I am on cancer meds, my brain gets foggy and I forgot all about it. I finally remembered after about 6 months of having them on the bike, and by then it was too late to complain. Make sure your grip holes line up with the tapped holes in the bars. Just looked up the receipt, with the tax, that little bastard cost me $84!

Just get a set of these. Link

I put some on an '96RS and they are incredibly effective. Retrofitting BMW grips is ridiculously expensive if you don't have the right handlebar.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all the input! I ended up buying the stock replacement parts from Bike Bandit and will see how the installation goes. Stay tuned.

Different question on the same topic. I have factory fitted heated grips but the rubber grips are worn and need replacing. When I check with my local BM dealer I was informed that the rubbers were not supplied separately and I needed to buy a complete system. He showed me the micro fiche and explained that the rubbers were no listed as a saparate item.

When I asked if the throttle side rubber ($40 each) for the non-heated grips would do for both sides of my bike he said no.

I cannot believe that even BM would expect an owner to replace the complete system when new rubbers are required.

can you shead any light on this?

cheers

George

• 2 months later...

Archived