IGNORED

Footpeg & Riser Installation Tools?

JimConnell

The UPS guy just delivered Moto-Techniques handlebar risers and Suburban-Machinery footpeg relocator blocks for my 2005 R1200RT. I don’t claim to be a mechanic, but I should be able to install these myself. I want to install them this weekend; I’m just not sure what I need to do the job.

For the handlebar risers, I’m guessing I need a Torx driver to remove the handlebars. If I’m right, what size do I need? If I’m wrong, what do I ask for? To install the risers, my 7/32 hex-head seems to fit, but would some metric size work better?

For the footpeg relocators, I’m stumped. I just carried my flashlight out and lay down on the garage floor to get a good look. All I learned is that I need to sweep the garage before I start the installation. I’m guessing I need to pry something out of somewhere to get the footpegs off, but I’m not sure what. Would somebody describe what I need to do or point me to a website with pics of this process?

Jim

Jim,

For the torx you need a T-45 size.

For the hex/allen its a 6mm, but if you are real close with the non metric size, you probably wont have a problem.

I havent done the footpeg kit so I cant help with that one.

Rich

The UPS guy just delivered Moto-Techniques handlebar risers and Suburban-Machinery footpeg relocator blocks for my 2005 R1200RT. I don’t claim to be a mechanic, but I should be able to install these myself. I want to install them this weekend; I’m just not sure what I need to do the job.

Jim

Have you opened to package from Suburban yet, Jim? There are instructions on how to mount the footpeg relocators and I believe they tell you what tools you'll need (I'm at work so can't look right now)

Rich, thank you, that’s what I needed to know. I’ll be shopping for tools today.

Rusty, I’ve looked at the instructions from Suburban. They’re just not as detailed as I had hoped.

The first step under “Installation” is, “Remove footpegs from side castings.”

In the “More Info” section they add, “The factory parts that hold the peg on the bike consist of a clevis pin, spring, cotter pin, and plastic collar that positions the spring.”

I was hoping for a diagram that showed the footpeg with “pry this loose” and a nice arrow pointing to one of the pieces. I can picture me prying the cotter pin out and the spring flying off to hide somewhere. I can also see me doing my best to pry out a part that wasn’t designed to pry out. dopeslap.gif

I think I’ll take the flashlight back to the garage this afternoon and study the bike some more.

Jim

Jack Selzer

Jim, right on about the suburban footpeg installation instructions. They are awful and make about the same amount of sense if you turn them upside down and read backwards. SUBURBAN needs to be more considerate of their customers. There is no excuse for sending out incomplete and incomprehensible instructions!!!

They need to understand that everyone who buys these things are not mechanical engineers but could be a lawyer like me.

I will be sweeping the garage floor like Jim until someone posts helpful directions like . . . "Jim and Jack, take a pair of pliers and pull the cotter pin and then count to ten and a small explosion will separate the footpeg from the bike . . . "

Help . . .

For the handlebar risers, I’m guessing I need a Torx driver to remove the handlebars. If I’m right, what size do I need? If I’m wrong, what do I ask for? To install the risers, my 7/32 hex-head seems to fit, but would some metric size work better?

For the footpeg relocators, I’m stumped. I just carried my flashlight out and lay down on the garage floor to get a good look. All I learned is that I need to sweep the garage before I start the installation. I’m guessing I need to pry something out of somewhere to get the footpegs off, but I’m not sure what. Would somebody describe what I need to do or point me to a website with pics of this process?

Jim

Jim,

I bought exactly the same package. [suburban makes bar-risers as well, but as their rep helpfully pointed out, Moto-Technique's package brings the bars closer (for shorter riders) while Suburban's makes them higher (for taller riders).

For comparison's sake, my dealer charged me 0.2 hrs for the risers and 0.7 hrs for the footpeg lowering kit.

Yeah, I know, I'm not as brave as the rest of you guys....

Michael,

I saw your earlier posts. You're the one who pointed out that the M-T risers move the bars back, not just up, and that's what I wanted.

I just want to install these parts because I'm in a hurry see how they feel and probably order a custom seat. I actually stopped by my local BMW dealer today to make an appointment for my 600 mile servie. I got the next available spot, on July 26th. ooo.gif That's how busy they are. Also, their service charge about $75 dollars an hour. If the dealer charged you for .9 hour, I hope to be able to intall everything in two hours, max. grin.gif

I'll try it this weekend and report back here when it's done.

Jim

Jim

thumbsup.gif

I just wanted to say "Thank You" to everybody that replied, both here and via e-mail. Thanks to you guys, installation went smooth as silk.

Jim

Archived