IGNORED

HELP!!! EVO Brake Flush.

Motodisiac

I'm getting my bike fully serviced before going on my trip in two days. I already did valve adjustment, oil and tranny / diff, fuel and air filters thanks to great writeups on this website thumbsup.gif Right now I'm in my garage trying to flush the brake fluid. The bike is 04 R1150RT. I did step 1 (flushing wheel circuits) I fabricated my own version of "mini stan". I don't have any speed bleeders so I:

1. Filled mini stan with fresh fluid

2. turned the ignition on

3. while holding the brake lever opened from caliper bleeder valves until fresh fluid started pouring out. No bubbles were coming out at all.

My concern: while doing the above described procedure I noticed that some air bubbles get sucked in though "mini stan" hose. no air ever came out of the bleeder valve. Is this normal?

Also, the writeup in FAQ says "if the fluid drops significantly in the reservoir, top it off to the "MAX" mark again, then close the reservoir cap" Which reservoir? I can pour some fluid in the ABS hole but it seems to go somewhere?

Biggest problem: while putting the cap of the rear circuit back on I heard CRACK and it snapped! I was using shortie ratchet and wasn't even trying to tighten it yet. Is it available at any BMW dealer or I have to special order it?

I still have to do control circuit bleed however I can't find the sequence of bleeding anywhere. With 6 bleeder valves it's a little hard to guess. Can someone please point me in the right direction? I found this picture, it this correct numbering?

http://kmg-365.smugmug.com/photos/866798-M.jpg

What is the sequence for front and rear?

I'm getting very nervous because I'm leaving in less than two days and my bike is still in pieces! Can someone please help. Thanks very much!

Good. You started with the wheel circuits which is the easiest part.

>My concern: while doing the above described procedure I noticed that some air bubbles >get sucked in though "mini stan" hose. no air ever came out of the bleeder valve. Is this >normal?

It doesn’t matter if air gets sucked into the ABS reservoirs. There IS airspace between the top of the fluid and the reservoir caps. They’re vented anyways.

>Also, the writeup in FAQ says "if the fluid drops significantly in the reservoir, top it off >to the "MAX" mark again, then close the reservoir cap" Which reservoir?

If your bleeding the wheel circuits, it’s the ABS reservoirs on the ABS unit.

>Is it available at any BMW dealer or I have to special order it?

I don’t think you can order a cap separately. You have to order an assembly which includes 2 caps and some black tubing. It’s fairly expensive.

>What is the sequence for front and rear?

Check the write up in the MC FAQ on this site. It will show you the proper sequence.

Good Luck.

Thanks for replying. There is no sequence in the wtire up, it says: "Refer to the BMW shop manual for the correct numbering of the screws (they are not consecutive) and the proper sequence of bleeding. Basically, you bleed the three (four, actually) front control circuit screws till all bubbles are gone and the fluid runs clear, top the reservoir back off, put the cover back together then do the rear circuit the same way (but the sequence of screws overlap in the correct order of bleeding--don't worry--it will be very clear when you see the diagrams in the shop manual)." confused.gif I don't have the manual yet and don't have time to order one on line.

Where is MAX line in ABS reservoirs? Where are the reservoirs? Is it just the hole in ABS unit and you have to fill it up?

OK, I'm off to dealer to buy the cap (instead of being at work!) Hopefully by the time I come back I will see some replies. Thanks!

Check the write up in the MC FAQ on this site. It will show you the proper sequence.

Good Luck.

Archived