IGNORED

High mileage R1200RTs yet?

UberXY

New  

147 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

You should add a category "Don't have a 1200RT", so those of us without one can see the results.

Looks like a lot of people need to go for a ride.

I can't wait until mine completely wears out and is not worth spending another dime on. I can look back and say, "damn that was a fun machine!"

I have 7000 wonderful miles and the RT has only left me stranded 3 times.

OK, I'll bite for a brief hijack. Being stranded 3 times in only 7K miles doesn't sound wonderful at all. What caused the incidents?

I have 7000 wonderful miles and the RT has only left me stranded 3 times.

OK, I'll bite for a brief hijack. Being stranded 3 times in only 7K miles doesn't sound wonderful at all. What caused the incidents?

2nd that. I have 9K on my Sportster - which hasn't stranded me once. WTF? I hope ne new RT won't be leaving me stranded! eek.gif

1. Starter

2. Starter

3. Starter and Alternator.

Last break down BMW found ground cable loose under gas tank where it bolts to top of engine.

St0nkingByte

I'm under 5k at the moment. I'll do 6k/year commuting alone. Not so much with the fun rides with a wife and three kids but I ride my RT at least twice a day 5-6 days a week so I'm happy.

1. Starter

2. Starter

3. Starter and Alternator.

Last break down BMW found ground cable loose under gas tank where it bolts to top of engine.

Misery loves company. My GS' starter went out at 600 miles.

This is the first time in the 30 years that I've been purchasing new cars and bikes that I've been left stranded on the side of the road. Knock on wood, I'm now good for another 30 years.

I just came back from a trip around the USA that totaled more than 11,000 miles and I never had so much as one hic-cup from my '05 R1200RT. It was a perfect ride with zero problems.

A couple of 1000 mile days were included in that 11K figure. Gas mileage goes down at 130 miles per hour. All the camping gear I was packing didn't help mileage either. I stripped all the stuff off the bike to run Deal's Gap. I'm ready for another trip.

I just came back from a trip around the USA that totaled more than 11,000 miles and I never had so much as one hic-cup from my '05 R1200RT. It was a perfect ride with zero problems.

A couple of 1000 mile days were included in that 11K figure. Gas mileage goes down at 130 miles per hour. All the camping gear I was packing didn't help mileage either. I stripped all the stuff off the bike to run Deal's Gap. I'm ready for another trip.

OK, I gotta ask, did you make it on one set of tires? If you did or didn't what kind of tires did you run the trip on? Yep, 130 is fun!

Thanks,

JF

So, how many miles are being racked up on the new RT?
OK, how about letting us in on the results, or is the information too hard on or frail hearts. tongue.gif

Please tell us what tires you used and how long they lasted. I have an Alaska Trip Planned in mid August that will run up 8500 Miles on my bike. I am trying to figure which tire set has the best chance of making the whole distance so I can change tires when I get home. Right now I am loolking at Battleax BT020 as the best long range tire. I am open to any suggestions from other tire brands.

I have run 2 back tires of the BT020s on my bike. Got 6000 miles on the first (running one up with out any thing but empty saddle bags in northern MN in October of last fall & some this spring) Second changed at 4000 miles a week ago (could have gotten maybe 2000 more miles on it). I will be leaving for a 6 day round trip to AK next Friday, 6000 miles with a friend who wants to (Pre-Ride) the route before going with his family. For this ride I am trying the Metzler Z6's

Thanks for the direct answers, not the ones I was hoping for!

Right now I have Pilot Roads mounted, but I won't have enough miles on them to tell how they will wear. I am also considering the Conti Road Attacks. I used to get between 8000 and 9000 miles on my R1100RT with BT 020 tires. I guess the larger sizes for the R1200RT don't wear as well. I consider myself a smooth conservative rider when touring, but your 6000 miles is way off the mark for what I was looking for. BTW I ride one up with average cruise speeds of 60 to 70mph(no interstates) when touring.

it's the ride, not the destination. smile.gif

Thanks for the direct answers, not the ones I was hoping for!

Right now I have Pilot Roads mounted, but I won't have enough miles on them to tell how they will wear. I am also considering the Conti Road Attacks. I used to get between 8000 and 9000 miles on my R1100RT with BT 020 tires. I guess the larger sizes for the R1200RT don't wear as well. I consider myself a smooth conservative rider when touring, but your 6000 miles is way off the mark for what I was looking for. BTW I ride one up with average cruise speeds of 60 to 70mph(no interstates) when touring.

it's the ride, not the destination. smile.gif

I was hoping for better mileage with the Pilots but alas nope. I've had BT 020, MeZ 06, then the Pilots, all were toast at 6k. On mine, it didn't matter if I left the large trunk on or not, still 6k.

I do ride on a lot of chip and seal and try to use all of the tread but far from Ricky Roadracer.

Hth,

Rob Lessen

Arma, KS

I was lucky to get 4500 miles out of an 020 Battleax on an 05 GSXR 1000 Suzuki I took to Nova Scotia last year. For the most part I didn't ride it that hard. I'd go with the Metzler Tour Tire. I think it is the 6.

OK, I gotta ask, did you make it on one set of tires? If you did or didn't what kind of tires did you run the trip on? Yep, 130 is fun!

Thanks,

JF

I did not do this all on one set of tires because I had a couple thousand miles on the tires before I left for the trip. I had the stock Bridgstones on the bike and I only changed the rear tire. I put a Metzler Z6 on the rear and I am happy with the way it handles in wet and dry. I leaned the bike way over in the sweepers in eastern Oregon and southern Washington; they stuck just fine. I have 13K on the front but I have to tell you most of the miles were on the slab. I hated to take the rear tire off since only the center was down and I think I could have made the entire trip on the original tire. I guess I just didn't want to worry. Grass Roots BMW in Cape Girardeau, MO mounted the tire for me on short notice and I was back on the road. I guess I'll let you know when I wear this one out.

Please tell us what tires you used and how long they lasted. I have an Alaska Trip Planned in mid August that will run up 8500 Miles on my bike. I am trying to figure which tire set has the best chance of making the whole distance so I can change tires when I get home. Right now I am loolking at Battleax BT020 as the best long range tire. I am open to any suggestions from other tire brands.

Consider the Metzler Z6. 8K miles should be no problem.

Thanks Wink,

I just ordered a set of Z=6's from SW Moto Tires. When I get back from AK I will write a report on their performance. They should be subjected to most everything from mud, gravel, chip seal, snow, rain, cold, heat, and dry pavement. I will start the ride with less than 100 miles on the tires. thumbsup.gif

My R1200RT has Z6's fitted as original equipment. So far they have done 10000km and look good for about another 5000km. However, I am not impressed with their overall performance. They are very noisey on slight lean. I have found from about 5000km that on fast sweeping bends doing about 110km/hr they cause a vibration through the bike. Also, I have almost lost the front twice on tight low speed corners. I can't comment on wet weather performance as there hasn't been too much rain in Perth these past 7 months.

I used BT020's on my old R1100RT and will be trying them next on this bike.

Funny, I had similar front end wash outs and noise from the ME 880s I had on my H-D tourer. I actually trusted the Dunlop OE tires more on that bike. I will look for the behaviors you mentioned when I get the Z6's mounted. Thanks for the heads up thumbsup.gif

Archived