IGNORED

Chief Joseph Check In

Fasterpill

The CJ was a great rally yet again, this time with a record 719 people there. Poor John Day can hardly feed us all. Met some really nice new folks, such as Pete and his lovely wife whose name escapes me right now, but in typical fashion I remember that his bike's name is Gretchen, an old /6.

Seth and I had a great ride home, all 170 miles. I put the Pilot Roads thru some rigorous sweepers on the way back - they're awesome when new. Had a steak dinner with potatoes and veggies all on the grill waiting for me for Dad's Day. Life is good!

Please check in and let us know your travels have gone from the rally. I guess we need a Where's Waldo post for Doug Q soon, as he's about to embark on a two wheeled sabbatical.

Just made it home in time for my Dad's Day dinner at 6PM. Matt and I split up in Toppenish, as he had a friend meet him and they were heading over White Pass. Had I continued with them I'd probably been late to my own party dopeslap.gif

I decided on a very fast ride over Chinook Pass. Trafic was light, and after a screaming run with Dr. Klawn and Graydog to the Columbia, it just didn't really seem that fast anymore. eek.gif

Another fabulous Chief Joe is in the books. Great seeing everyone again, and look forward to a great riding season! thumbsup.gif

Started this AM waving bye-bye wave.gif to the early (?) departures

76369623-L.jpg

. . . then the au revoirs to your (soon to move east) self bncry.gif

76369622-L.jpg

After leaving I headed off northwest from John Day thru the country side aiming to end up on I-84 but with "many" stops and pix of the amazing scenery.

Samples grin.gif

76369627-L.jpg

76369637-L.jpg

76369654-L.jpg

76369652-L.jpg

76369633-L.jpg

76369648-S.jpg

One thing led to another so on & so forth tongue.gif and I ended up rolling into home "tired but happy" around 10 PM and am now of course staying up wayyy too late playing with pix, posting here etc.

Despite the late hour I didn't want to spoil the rally / touring experience by joining urban-mania from Issaquah forward so I cut off from I-90 at North Bend and went home via 202, 203 and backroads .

Hope my corporate alter-ego will somehow come up with good answers at the infamous Monday Morning Project Status Meeting dopeslap.gif

I'll just add that I had a great time meeting new faces and riding some fantastic roads. Plus our time in the "Special Little Room" for breakfast dopeslap.gif.... The ride back with Sputnik and Graydog to the Columbia was fast, then it was Sputnick and I up US 97 to Yakima, where my friend Tom came out to meet up and cruise back to Seattle. We hit US 12 / White Pass to Packwood, then did the Skate Creek /FS road #52 to Ashford, then home through back roads. If you ride the aformentioned Skate Creek Road / FS #52, wear a cup or some other protection.... The pot holes and dips are a little harsh at times eek.gif

All in all a great weekend and a terrific rally. I wish Phil, Seth and family all the best in NY!!

This was my fourth and favorite CJ rally. It was great to meet Matt and reconnect with everyone else. Phil, best wishes to you and your family in this move. We'll all miss you and Seth bncry.gif

Strange thing happened on return trip. Up near the summit of Tollgate, deep in the woods, a group of about 6 people were standing on the shoulder ahead. No vehicles in sight, there was nothing around to explain their presence. As I approached and slowed, I saw someone was on the ground, yet these people were just standing there! Closer yet I saw another on the ground, on elbows and knees next to the first figure. Nothing added up, yet I knew I was needed to assist somehow.

Finally, about 50 feet away, barely rolling, I got the whole picture: this was a group of teens checking out a deer carcass eek.gif The kicker was this group was dressed pretty much entirely in black dopeslap.gif City kids playing in the country. thumbsup.gif

Pictures to follow. Great photos as usual DQ.

John Ferris

Boy's in Black ooo.gif

The trainees for the Men in Black blush.gif

Don't tell.

Finally, about 50 feet away, barely rolling, I got the whole picture: this was a group of teens checking out a deer carcass eek.gif The kicker was this group was dressed pretty much entirely in black dopeslap.gif City kids playing in the country. thumbsup.gif

Pictures to follow. Great photos as usual DQ.

DancesWithStrayDogs

Got home last night about 6:30pm. It was all back roads except for I-84 from Biggs to Hood River.

Had a great time with everyone. Cigars, beer, scotch, and really fun riding. What more could a person want. Phil, don't stay on the east coast any longer then necessary.

Steve

What a great time. 1st CJ for me, the roads are great, John Day is a friendly little Town and the Saturday Night Ba-B-Q was fantastic. Met some new friends, road with some old friends and got to see some great looking machines (Nice job with the KRS Jennifer!)

Ride home was almost as good as going there, only because it had to end.

The Freakin' 1150RT keeps getting better, 50+ MPG in the high country, 48-50 down in the valley.

Can't wait till the next trip!

clap.gifclap.gif

George Brown
I put the Pilot Roads thru some rigorous sweepers on the way back - they're awesome when new.

YO PHIL! --- Save those Pilots - I have big plans for them. grin.gif

George Brown
Yeah, they'll be all flat in the middle when I come to pick it up grin.gif

You forget my young friend and relative, I am now RideSmart trained. grin.gif

Fathers Day weekend in Eastern Oregon tends to be a crap shoot for the meteorologists.

The word “should” is included with their every statement to preclude fault for a screwed up weekend. Two brief squalls were the extent of moisture if one doesn’t include that given up by suicidal bugs and small varmints.

In Napavine I was held up by this thing.

76993698-S.jpg

Noticing this place while waiting..

76993707-S.jpg

I stopped and got these all for one dollar. Two were eaten prior to the photo.

76993717-S.jpg

A ride on Hyw.14 is a must for the visiting motorcyclist.

76993728-M.jpg

76993733-M.jpg

Eastern OR. has many derelict buildings. I tend to wonder what memories old structures hold of times gone by.

76993764-S.jpg

With the robust deer population in the area and recent events I was hesitant to fully enjoy the twists and turns. Just about the time I began to relax a cow decided it wanted to cross the road. Why did the cow cross the road...?

76993779-M.jpg

76993832-M.jpg

Yes, another coffee shop. I don’t think I’m addicted.

76993809-S.jpg

A good use of a BMW saddle bag. Seth is in the background playing his Gameboy.

76993852-M.jpg

Wanting for new routes Jackie & Leon as well as others pointed out some of their favorites. Being a glutton for punishment I strung them together on Sunday afternoon on the way home. In order it was John Day, Mitchell, Fossil, Antelope, Shaniko, Grass Valley, Tygh Valley and The Dalles. The only fault with this area is the scenery; I found myself stopping so often for pictures that it would take an hour to cover 30 miles.

76993896-L.jpg

On the side I stayed up late and turned to pg. 58 of June’s BMWON; Good stuff Jackie.

Archived