IGNORED

Poldergeist or Mountain Goat ?????

Francois_Dumas

Francois_Dumas

Unfortunately Marty decided to 'bail out' and leave Les Allues even before he'd seen the rest of the valley. He didn't feel comfortable (that's an understatement I guess) on the Alpine roads with their many corners and switchbacks, and the weather forecast is less than excellent, with showers and thunderstorms going through the main mountain 'massifs' in the afternoons.

I hope it clears up.... so far the mornings are excellent, warm and sunny, but higher up in the mountains and later in the day you can run into really bad weather.

So, here I am, alone in Meribel Les Allues.... well, 'alone' with my trusted RT. I changed the rear tire in Belgium and now have a Metzeler Z6 on the rear, and still my Z4 on the front. It still looks okay for the twisties, but I think it will need replacing when I return. But heck, what do I know !? This is my first set of motorcycle tires EVER ! ;-)

After I saw Marty out this morning (see the pictures below) I decided to go east towards Bourg-St. Maurice at the end of the Tarantaise valley along the N90 leading towards Tignes and Val d'Isere, and ultimately to the Col de l'Iseran.

In hindsight it was good that Marty didn't come along. Although this is a good pass road and nothing too difficult for those of use acustomed to it, it would've scared the heck out of him, I am sure.

So Marty..... 'use' my pictures below !!! ;-)

The morning started out pretty menacing..... but beautiful (in the eye of the beholder)....

76041312-L.jpg

Marty got up early as usual, and was ready to go and do his last 7 hairpins before returning to the 'sane world' ..... here in front of the underground parking....

76042276-L.jpg

Bye Marty..... be safe.....

76045741-L.jpg

Alright, onto the serious stuff then..... on the N90, just passed the Siaix Tunnel on the N90, near Aime. Weather is good, with sunny spells, near 78 F.

76045756-L.jpg

The N90 is a busy national road, and lots of Riders this time of year. Tourists are still not too many, the season doesn't really start until July 1st in France.

76045759-L.jpg

THAT's where I am going ......

76045762-L.jpg

76045767-L.jpg

Here I am past Seez already and heading up the N90 towards La Rosiere. The first part of the route up to St. Bernard is through forests.

76045770-L.jpg

Despite the not-so-great weather, I am certainly NOT the only one.... :-)

76045776-L.jpg

Looking north towards the Aravis mountains. Through the trees on the left, WAY below, you can just make out Bourg-St. Maurice, where I came from.

76045780-L.jpg

I love'em, Matry hates'em...... switchbacks !!

76045784-L.jpg

Looking south towards Val d'Isere, which is some 24 km from here (in straight line). From there you ride up the Col de l'Iseran, one of Europe's highest passes.

76045791-L.jpg

For the next part I was 'busy' and didn't take pictures. Here I am approaching the Pass (in the distance), after having passed La Rosiere, the last village/resort in France before the Italian border.

76045795-L.jpg

The pass is open.... JUST ! Still heaps of snow everywhere, at some points it had fallen on the road, so care was needed.

76045798-L.jpg

With GOOD weather you can see the Month Blanc here, looming over the landscape. Today it hid in the clouds....

76045801-L.jpg

One of the old buildings at the border crossing (which is now 'gone of course).

76045806-L.jpg

That little building was where travellers had to show their passport and answer questions.. as to WHY would you be going to France ??? <grin>.

The sign shows the maximum road speeds in France.

Restaurant (and everything else) was pretty deserted.

76045811-L.jpg

Looking west, on my way back down... the statue is St. Bernard I presume...

76045815-L.jpg

The sun would still peek through from time to time. Here shedding its light on the Aravis mountains...... there's a wonderful little road going up and through them too !!

76045824-L.jpg

76045826-L.jpg

That's the start of the last part of the pass road,just after La Rosiere. Looking back where I came from.....

http://fssupport.smugmug.com/photos/76045832-L.jpg

76045733-L.jpg

Stoped to change rain gear once more.... and twice more later too... the sign shows that you can take a ski lift to reach Italy......

76045735-L.jpg

On the last 40 kilometers home it started raining again, but nothing too bad...... I even had time to get some food at the supermarket in the valley.

About two hours after I returned, the promised thunder storm unleashed its power... Such sudden storms in the mountains can be pretty frightening with winds reaching force 10 or 11 locally..... lightning struck a crane below in the village while I was looking.

I was VERY GLAD to have it made home BEFORE this started.... !!!

76045739-L.jpg

Sunday is ' computer day', and 'wash day' (Nina gave me my orders). And although the day started glorious and I was sitting on the balcony at 7 a.m. already, the sky now turns grey again (it is past noon) and I expect another freak storm to strike later in the afternoon.

Tomorrow I plan to ride over two passes to transfer from the Savoie area into the Hautes Alpes region..... doing some initial 'scouting' for terrain to buy.... it is a long ride and I can only do it when the weather improves...... here's hoping !!!!

Francois

Marty may regret not going with you when he sees these pictures! Awesome. Thanks for showing us that there is beautiful places to ride all over the world!

I showed those pictures to my Buell, and already it's pestering me for a trip to France. It'll have to settle for 800 miles of superslab to Gunnison today, however.

It takes a pretty tough Hombre to look after Marty for as long as you 've done!! grin.gifgrin.gif Thanks for looking out for him, and showing him some of the best scenery in the world!

I sure hope he got several sets of all those decals I see on his bike......as quick as he changes underwear, that bike will be changed for something cleaner too!! tongue.gif

Where was he headed to next??

Pat

Francois_Dumas

Thanks for looking folks, glad you liked my piccies.

Pat, he said he was going back to Italy, hoping to find sun there. (Actually, it only rained once since he left, and today was a glorious day. I did 500 km's and tackled one of the 'best' passes, looked around in the Hautes Alpes (Briancio, Gap, Route Napoleon, Grenoble), and fond that it is ME who needs to get that nickname of 'Paperbutt' !! grin.gifgrin.gif Ouch.. after 8 hours I can't sit anymore.... and do the rest more or less 'standing' .... I need to train !

BEAUTIFUL.....simply....BEAUTIFUL! I'm sure that would have been a once in a life time experience for Marty..... he'll surely be sorry he didn't do it. He should have at least rented a car and done it on four wheels! WOW! Thank you for sharing. It is so beautiful.

Francois_Dumas

Thanks Jacqueline and Thad !

Oh, Thad, I think that is YOUR (to be) bike in those 2nd and 3rd pictures !?? grin.gifgrin.gif

Francois_Dumas

Back home now.... lots of pics and trips to follow... now that I can upload them again grin.gif

Archived