IGNORED

Electronic Valve Lash Checks on the K1200GT?

smiller

I just read something interesting in the current issue of Rider magazine in their review of the K1200GT. They mentioned that valve lash checks on this bike are done electronically (using the BMW diagnostic box) at every regular 6k service interval. Can anyone confirm that this is correct and if so have any additional information on how BMW has engineered electronic valve lash checks?

ShovelStrokeEd

Sure would be whiz bang if they pulled it off. I haven't had the opportunity to peek under the valve cover on a K12S or GT but I have seen photos of the under tank stuff. I doubt it is there, at least not within my understanding of the stuff that would have to be there to perform the check. I can see storage of maintenance records on-board and maybe that is what they mean.

It's not monitoring the valve lash, it's just reports on how hard the bike was ridden. If it's within some acceptable limit the valves are not checked for adjustment. At least not until the 12K service. If it's outside the limit the valves are checked. This according to the master tech I spoke with about.

Also, the radiator needs to be pulled to get to the valves. Should be a pricey little maintenance item.

Yeah, my guess would also be that the writer of the article may have misinterpreted something. As suggested, more likely that BMW is attempting to determine whether valve service is necessary by extrapolating from stored ECU data rather than being able to physically check the valves themselves. Not sure how accurate this method may be but better than nothing I suppose, especially when you consider the apparent difficulty of getting in there to make actual measurements.

A bigger concern might be warranty issues. On most vehicles an owner with sufficient skills can perform all required maintenance services that are required to keep the warranty in force. But without the diagnostic box... can an owner perform scheduled services to BMW's satisfaction? Is checking with the diagnostic box an optional part of the service regimen... or is it required?

Is the valve adjustment/check procedure easy to do? How is it done? No shims, right? Is there a procedure on this site somewhere? (I did search for it)

Mike

ShovelStrokeEd

I'm pretty sure that motor uses a shim under bucket valve lash adjustment. Cams have to come out to make any adjustment. It is not really all that big a deal if you have the shims on hand or access to a surface grinder to make your own. The flying brick motors all had some form of shim as does my Blackbird. Valve clearance check schedule is 16K miles on the 'bird and no one I know has had to make an adjustment shy of 32K miles. Checking is simple, adjustment less so but well within the purview of someone with a bit of wrenching experience.

duckbubbles

It is my understanding that the new K12 engines use a short rocker, pivoted in the head and conical/concave type of adjusting shims. Nothing like the earlier K's. The computer monitors engine usage and determines when valve adjustment is needed. This is F1 tech trickling down. I don't know if the cams have to be removed to change shims.

Frank

ShovelStrokeEd

I wouldn't call it F1 technology. BMW has been doing the same thing on their cars for years now. Valve clearance check and valve clearance adjustment are two separate things.

From the drawings I can see on the Max BMW site, it looks like the rocker shafts can be pulled individually to provide access to the shims, which reside on top of the valve stem. If so, an adjustment of an individual valve shouldn't be that irksome. Of course, removing the cam cover doesn't look all that simple what with the tight packaging and coolant issues. Given that service intervals should be pretty long with that design, I'd say no big deal for the home mechanic.

I'm pretty sure some one will come up with a means of telling the computer that the service has been performed.

I seem to remember a proposal that the auto makers have to acknowledge the work done by home mechanics and cannot force an owner to use the dealer service. Should be some ammunition there to make the dealer hook up his computer at some nominal fee and reset the "service engine" nag.

From the drawings I can see on the Max BMW site, it looks like the rocker shafts can be pulled individually to provide access to the shims, which reside on top of the valve stem. If so, an adjustment of an individual valve shouldn't be that irksome. Of course, removing the cam cover doesn't look all that simple what with the tight packaging and coolant issues. Given that service intervals should be pretty long with that design, I'd say no big deal for the home mechanic.

I'm pretty sure some one will come up with a means of telling the computer that the service has been performed.

I seem to remember a proposal that the auto makers have to acknowledge the work done by home mechanics and cannot force an owner to use the dealer service. Should be some ammunition there to make the dealer hook up his computer at some nominal fee and reset the "service engine" nag.

Agree with all of the above. Unless there's some horrible 'gotcha', maintenance of the valve train shouldn't be too burdensome and wouldn't be deal killer for me. The warranty issues would have to be settled out in a way that supports owner-maintenance, though, or that factor would be an instant disqualifier. Given my location even having to go to a dealer to get the thing checked/recorded/reset/whatever every 6 or 12k miles would be unacceptable.

I'd appreciate any solid info anyone has on this as the 1200GT is on my short list and I'd hate to see it bumped off for the above reason.

Archived