IGNORED

Dumb question about wheel weights

joeb

Guess I didn't have to state dumb question for those that know me. 

But. 

I have a lot of wheel weights that have no sticky tape. Can hot glue work to reuse them ? 

Thanks 

Twisties

I use body molding tape.  Cut w/ a razor knife to fit. Clean weights and rim with chlorinated brake cleaner before applying.  

Example

greiffster

I think some of that double sided 3M will probably work. But, you can get a huge box of 1/4” weights on Amazon for little to nothing that will last many, many tire changes. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Twisties said:

I use body molding tape.  Cut w/ a razor knife to fit. Clean weights and rim with chlorinated brake cleaner before applying.  

Example

Thanks !

12 hours ago, greiffster said:

I think some of that double sided 3M will probably work. But, you can get a huge box of 1/4” weights on Amazon for little to nothing that will last many, many tire changes. 

Probably a good idea. Thanks

dirtrider
23 hours ago, joeb said:

Guess I didn't have to state dumb question for those that know me. 

But. 

I have a lot of wheel weights that have no sticky tape. Can hot glue work to reuse them ? 

Thanks 

Morning Joeb

Not a dumb question as it is not always as easy as it seems in some cases.  Definitely 2 sided tape will work BUT there are some depends. 

It depends on the length of the weight, the curve (or lack of curve) on the weight, & the thickness of the 2 sided tape.

Thin 2 sided tape on a long flat weight will usually not stay on long term. If the weight fits the curve of the wheel then it will be OK with thin 2 sided tape.  

You just need to make sure that the 2 sided tape you use is thick enough to give the weight that you are using a full length contact once the tape returns to nominal after pushing on it to install.

On 7/10/2024 at 8:58 AM, dirtrider said:

Morning Joeb

Not a dumb question as it is not always as easy as it seems in some cases.  Definitely 2 sided tape will work BUT there are some depends. 

It depends on the length of the weight, the curve (or lack of curve) on the weight, & the thickness of the 2 sided tape.

Thin 2 sided tape on a long flat weight will usually not stay on long term. If the weight fits the curve of the wheel then it will be OK with thin 2 sided tape.  

You just need to make sure that the 2 sided tape you use is thick enough to give the weight that you are using a full length contact once the tape returns to nominal after pushing on it to install.

Thanks for the reply. Found out Amazon could deliver 250 weights the next day for $ 17 so I went with that. Think I'll still experiment with the hot glue without the weight just to see if it sticks to the rim. 

• Like 1
dirtrider
1 hour ago, joeb said:

Thanks for the reply. Found out Amazon could deliver 250 weights the next day for $ 17 so I went with that. Think I'll still experiment with the hot glue without the weight just to see if it sticks to the rim. 

Afternoon Joeb

It should stick OK, might work on the rear but if your are a hard brake user from speed then the red hot brake rotors might soften the glue enough to release the weights on the front. 

Redfoxx
On 7/13/2024 at 10:22 AM, dirtrider said:

Afternoon Joeb

It should stick OK, might work on the rear but if your are a hard brake user from speed then the red hot brake rotors might soften the glue enough to release the weights on the front. 

DR

Cold weather may make the hot glue brittle also. I glued some plastic to wood for bird feeder in the winter,  plastic fell off and glue remained on wood.

3m weather resistant 2 sided tape would be the way to go. Much more temperature stable hot/cold.

RF