IGNORED

Book Review: The Fundamentals of Leisure Off-Road Riding

MotoNews

Published in: Media

Leisure Off-Road Riding Review Intro

I'm always on the hunt for ways to level up my skills and help my coaching clients do the same. My recent dive into "The Fundamentals of Leisure Off-Road Riding on Two Wheels" by Zé Duarte is a perfect example. This insightful book not only refreshed my knowledge but also sparked new ideas to share with my clients.

This is a comprehensive instructional book (available in Portuguese or English) that will have broad appeal to the adv/dual sport community. The attention to detail in this book is remarkable – instead of glossing over the basics, it probes the subtleties of bike handling, taking a fresh, focused approach that surpasses your standard instructional offerings.

Yes, there are chapters dedicated to the practical “how-to” skills riders need to learn to become confident riders. The information is well explained, and the author’s use of simplified graphics clarify the concepts in a super straightforward way.

Leisure Off Road Riding CoverThe most fascinating chapters, in my opinion, delved into subjects that rarely get attention in traditional weekend skills courses. Kamm's Circle, biomechanics, physics, and biology unleashed a treasure trove of knowledge. The complexity of these subjects could have easily resulted in a dense, unreadable text. But Zé’s writing style is a breath of fresh air. It is clear, concise, and approachable, making even the most intricate concepts accessible to readers.

By exploring these varied topics, riders can venture beyond the surface level of "how-to" instructions and gain a deeper understanding of the "why" behind certain techniques in adventure and dual sport motorcycling. This increased understanding empowers riders to make informed decisions, improve their skills, and navigate the challenges of this exhilarating sport with confidence.

It's about more than just mastering techniques – it's about becoming a better, more competent rider who can tackle any trail or road with precision and poise. As a result, this will be one of those books you will return to over the years to reference as you seek to improve your riding and knowledge.

Whether you are a new rider or a seasoned pro, "The Fundamentals of Leisure Off-Road Riding on Two Wheels" is a knowledge-rich read that will resonate long after the final page is turned. With its down-to-earth advice and expert guidance, you'll be tackling tough trails like a pro in no time.

Zé Duarte is the owner and head instructor of BN Enduro Camp in the Alentejo, Portugal, and he is a certified Enduro Instructor from the Enduro Action Team, in Germany. The book was originally published in Zé’s native Portuguese, then the book was published in English in May 2024.

If you are in Portugal or the EU, you can purchase the book in Portuguese or English directly from the BN-ADV Website. For purchases outside the EU, it is available on Amazon worldwide.

Read more ...

View the full article