IGNORED

LIGHTING

steve68

steve68

Looking to upgrade my forward lighting  set-up for better visibility and illumination.

Will be adding hyperlites to the back.   I had them in the past, the unit died.

Anyone have any faves to recommend?

I plan to install myself if possible.

Not sure what bike you're riding but I put Denali D3 with dial dim controller mounted to Clearwater mirror mount brackets on my 04 RT. They are great as they are but I'm thinking about putting their yellow lenses in them to be better seen. The pic is the only shot I have of the front of the bike. 

I made the mistake of trying an LED tail light but it was less bright than the stock bulb so I've got it as an extra in the glove box -oh & it also set off my warning light on the dash. 

IMG_4864.jpeg

Redfoxx
5 hours ago, 46nto said:

Not sure what bike you're riding but I put Denali D3 with dial dim controller mounted to Clearwater mirror mount brackets on my 04 RT. They are great as they are but I'm thinking about putting their yellow lenses in them to be better seen. The pic is the only shot I have of the front of the bike. 

I made the mistake of trying an LED tail light but it was less bright than the stock bulb so I've got it as an extra in the glove box -oh & it also set off my warning light on the dash. 

IMG_4864.jpeg

You can put a resistor in the wiring to cause more voltage use so the computer thinks its a normal bulb, but it wont make it brighter.

RF

• Like 1
steve68

Thanks. I should have mentioned bike in question is 2002 R1150R.

Paul De

On my ‘99 R1100RT  I replaced the rear brake light bulb with a Kisan Tailbazer. It is brighter than stock and flashes for about 4 seconds before going solid on.  Nice part it is plug and play in the OEM taillight bulb socket.  The other is a bit of Hawg bling, but did add some functional visibility.  They were made by Auto Gem and  sold as a pair of led lit jewel license plate bolts.  They have a clear jewel lens  dominated by red LEDs but have some in the middle of the LED cluster that are a purple color that is supposed to stimulate both your color and B&W vision so they are  more noticeable than one would expect. They  include a brake light led red boost circuit.  Together the Tailblazer and Auto Gems system works pretty well to keep cages off my butt.   The aesthetics are minimalist.  

The Auto Gem  jewel lights don’t seem to be available any more.  I would still recommend the Kisan Tailblazer though.

For the front I had an HID bulb until it died and replace with an LED.  The HID actually worked great but the LED bulb I bought has some issues with beam pattern, so no recommendation other than do your homework on the brand of LED bulb to replace your halogen bulb as not all give a good pattern and crisp low beam cut off

Miguel!

Cyclops 10000 LED head lamp. Plug-n-play. Been on my R1000RT for 21 kmiles. No problem with beam pattern. Bright white, not blue. Does have a fan. I’d buy it again. 

Also Clearwater Darla with yellow lenses mounted to fender bolts. I’d buy these again too. 

There’s no doubt people see me coming if they are looking my way. 

Miguel

Paul De

Haha, need their solar eclipse glasses to keep from burning out the retinas😎

• 2 weeks later...
Miguel!
2 hours ago, steve68 said:

Miguel, does  this look like the correct cyclops product?

https://www.shopbmwmotorcycle.com/products/cyclops-h4-led-headlight-conversion-kit

This is another option I found, but seems a bit sketchy...

https://www.euromotoelectrics.com/product-p/bulb-h4led.htm

I "think" I still have the box for the cyclops 10000. I'll look and post a picture of it later today. I purchased it from a local independent BMW shop. They recommended it to me and told me they'd been installing them on all the police BMWs - they service the local CHP and municipality BMWs. IIRC, it was $79. 

Miguel

steve68

That would be great Miguel.  Thanks for your response.  I value a personal recommendation.  Is there a Hi and Lo beam on this unit?

Miguel!

Yes, There is hi and lo beam. Both hi and low beam consume 35 Watts, so about 1/2 the incandescent H4 bulb. Installation was easy. There is a drive unit that I mounted to frame member that I think holds up the front fairing. You'll see it in the photo below, just below the left turn signal indicator, bars are turned full left to get the photo. It's been installed for 5.5 years, 21,000 miles. Hope that helps. Michael

IMG_2567.thumb.jpeg.0483d84236bf6c112439893c5fc3490c.jpegIMG_2568.thumb.jpeg.f08c5503aedee7561139caa837fefea8.jpegIMG_2569.thumb.jpeg.782ccc14f7e437c2653486a3dcd2e339.jpeg