IGNORED

Source for fuel quantity strip ??

joeb

Hi. My riding bud has a 2009 r1200rt with a bad fuel gauge ( quantity strip ). BMW wants almost $300 for one and Bemerboneyard doesn't deal with them. Any ideas for an alternate source?

After market or  OEM ?

Thanks

81delorean

Mine went out to on my '05. piece of tape covering up the yellow triangle on the dash, got to learn to reset my odometer now and also bought an auxiliary 1.5 liter fuel bottle just in case. Anyway, no experience with these but I read on a forum during my searches about this one. 

https://2a76f8-2.myshopify.com/products/sensor-de-nivel-aorador-bmw-alternativo

I would like to have a working gauge again but not willing to spend the money until I find a proven reliable one. Seems some people that have replaced theirs say the replacement lasted a couple months to a couple years. A lot of variation. 

dirtrider
14 hours ago, 81delorean said:

Mine went out to on my '05. piece of tape covering up the yellow triangle on the dash, got to learn to reset my odometer now and also bought an auxiliary 1.5 liter fuel bottle just in case. Anyway, no experience with these but I read on a forum during my searches about this one. 

https://2a76f8-2.myshopify.com/products/sensor-de-nivel-aorador-bmw-alternativo

I would like to have a working gauge again but not willing to spend the money until I find a proven reliable one. Seems some people that have replaced theirs say the replacement lasted a couple months to a couple years. A lot of variation. 

EuroMotoElectric has them for around $273.00.

Might as well get a BMW part as it has a 2 year warranty. 

You will need a GS-911 to calibrate the new fuel strip install.

You can try zapping the existing fuel strip with a gas grill ignitor (sometimes works for a while anyhow). 

Thanks for the response. I think he's ready to get one from BMW.  Not sure if he knows about the 2 year warranty. I'll let him know.

dduelin

Black box emulator to spoof gauge to full then use trip meter B to keep track of fuel use. Problem with fuel strips solved.

dirtrider
On 6/8/2024 at 6:26 PM, joeb said:

Thanks for the response. I think he's ready to get one from BMW.  Not sure if he knows about the 2 year warranty. I'll let him know.

Morning  joeb

BMW has a new (updated) fuel strip so if he goes with a BMW strip make sure he asks for that. So far the new fuel strip seems to be holding up better than the older ones did. (at least from what I have seen in my area)

TassieRT1200

Yes I have the 'new and improved' fuel strip from bmw fitted and it has performed great since I calibrated it using motoscan app

Going on over a year now and 40000km

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks. About the scan. I was told that it is mandatory to use a BMW calibration , by BMW. Is installing the strip a DIY job or must it be done by BMW. If so, can it be install by the owner, not connected electrically then brought to BMW for calibration. Any thoughts on price for the repair ? 

dirtrider
1 hour ago, joeb said:

Thanks. About the scan. I was told that it is mandatory to use a BMW calibration , by BMW. Is installing the strip a DIY job or must it be done by BMW. If so, can it be install by the owner, not connected electrically then brought to BMW for calibration. Any thoughts on price for the repair ? 

Afternoon joeb

The strip install can be a do-it-yourself if you are somewhat handy on fuel tank access & tupperware removal. 

You will have to call your BMW dealer to see if they will JUST do the calibration part. They might want as much to do the calibration as to do the entire job. 

I think this applies to the 2 year warranty on the  BMW fuel strip:

The BMW OEM Original Part warranty does not apply to:
Damage resulting from negligence, improper installation or lack of maintenance, flood, accident, or fire.
Damages resulting from modifications that alter the original engineering or operating specifications of the vehicle or part.
Failure due to external influences.
Requests for warranty coverage by any person other than the original purchaser.
Parts sold over-the-counter or wholesale and not installed by an authorized BMW center.
If the vehicle in which the covered part is installed is used in competitive driving or racing.
John Ranalletta
1 hour ago, joeb said:

Replaced mine with BMW updated strip.  Used friend's GS-911 to calibrate.  Eazy peazy, but, CALIBRATE THE STRIP BEFORE INSTALLING IN THE TANK!!!!!!!!!!

Pay close attention to the position of the old strip, i.e. the direction it's pointing when removing.  It must point to the deepest part of the tank's left lobe and not get hung up on its electrical lead.  Pay very close attention to the fit of the gasket on the fuel pump/inspection plate assembly before tightening. (Don't ask.)

• Like 1

Thanks all for responses. 

Sounds like kind of a total pain no matter what. Was glad to hear that BMW has updated their strip . Will definitely let my friend know but knowing him I think I'll start carrying a tow rope when we ride together.

• 3 weeks later...
Woodchips

Good evening all

Having converted to a low Kilometre 2006 last year and fully aware that there was a better then even chance that either the fuel strip or a servo brake motor would fail I have now experienced the dreaded fuel strip failure and have been researching the various solutions to the problem. I would like to have the fuel gauge functioning as it is intended so I’m going to opt for a DIY replacement and just have to decide weather to go with a OEM BMW unit or the unit from Spain( https://2a76f8-2.myshopify.com/products/sensor-de-nivel-aorador-bmw-alternativo ) as mentioned earlier.

As the replacement will have to be calibrated, I will also have to acquire a GS911 which I understand is necessary when flushing the servo brake system.

I’m Hoping someone else who has purchased and installed this aftermarket strip can comment on the procedure.

Woodchips 

dirtrider
16 hours ago, Woodchips said:

Good evening all

Having converted to a low Kilometre 2006 last year and fully aware that there was a better then even chance that either the fuel strip or a servo brake motor would fail I have now experienced the dreaded fuel strip failure and have been researching the various solutions to the problem. I would like to have the fuel gauge functioning as it is intended so I’m going to opt for a DIY replacement and just have to decide weather to go with a OEM BMW unit or the unit from Spain( https://2a76f8-2.myshopify.com/products/sensor-de-nivel-aorador-bmw-alternativo ) as mentioned earlier.

As the replacement will have to be calibrated, I will also have to acquire a GS911 which I understand is necessary when flushing the servo brake system.

I’m Hoping someone else who has purchased and installed this aftermarket strip can comment on the procedure.

Woodchips 

Afternoon 

I don't have any history with that aftermarket fuel strip, but it does say (Does not include the plastic pod that goes inside the fuel tank).

The latest BMW fuel strip seems to be doing better so that might be a good option. 

I don't have or use a Motoscan but I believe those will also calibrate the fuel sensor strip. If so those are lot cheaper than the GS-911. 

You do not need a GS-911 to do the brake service, it can be used if you have one but it isn't really necessary. 

John Ranalletta
17 hours ago, Woodchips said:

Good evening all

Woodchips 

One can often find a GS-911 on eBay at a discount.  Usually sold by BMW owner who only needed it for one vin#.

Also, I replaced the OEM fuel strip in a '10 RT with the new part number last year.  Borrowed a friend's GS-911 (unlimited vins).  Calibration took less than 5 minutes. CALIBRATE (DRY)BEFORE INSERTING IN TANK!

Woodchips

Thanks John

I have kept an eye open for a used GS911 here in Canada but no luck so far. Any chance you have the NEW part number for the fuel strip?

Ron

Woodchips
2 hours ago, dirtrider said:

Afternoon 

I don't have any history with that aftermarket fuel strip, but it does say (Does not include the plastic pod that goes inside the fuel tank).

The latest BMW fuel strip seems to be doing better so that might be a good option. 

I don't have or use a Motoscan but I believe those will also calibrate the fuel sensor strip. If so those are lot cheaper than the GS-911. 

You do not need a GS-911 to do the brake service, it can be used if you have one but it isn't really necessary. 

Afternoon D.R.

Thanks for your reply. I’m heading to the local BMW Dealer to check on availability and price of the “NEW and improved” fuel strip. It would be good to have the old and new part numbers in hand when inquiring. It’s not that I don’t trust them, but it’s always better to verify as I understand there is no guarantee when it is a DYI . By the way, this dealership will not do service work on anything over 10 years old, in your experience is this a common practice with BMW?

Ron

dirtrider
16 minutes ago, Woodchips said:

Afternoon D.R.

Thanks for your reply. I’m heading to the local BMW Dealer to check on availability and price of the “NEW and improved” fuel strip. It would be good to have the old and new part numbers in hand when inquiring. It’s not that I don’t trust them, but it’s always better to verify as I understand there is no guarantee when it is a DYI . By the way, this dealership will not do service work on anything over 10 years old, in your experience is this a common practice with BMW?

Ron

Afternoon Ron

Old=                                        16147675547

New Updated Fuel strip=    16141600132

33 minutes ago, Woodchips said:

By the way, this dealership will not do service work on anything over 10 years old, in your experience is this a common practice with BMW?

I think this has become common practice with most dealerships, not just BMW dealers.  

Woodchips

It’s a sad comment on a dealership that is currently selling a number of “serviced” 12-15 year old RT1200’s. I’ve offered to bring my 2006 in during the winter months but they were not interested. 

Woodchips

Follow-up on fuel strip

I just returned from a visit to the BMW Dealership and I must say it was as expected. The NEW fuel strip  #16141600132  supersedes the old #16147675547and is in stock 

For $420 Cdn. The catch 22 is that since they will not install or work on anything over 10 years there is no warranty as it will not be installed by a authorized BMW dealer.

So, I will be purchasing the one from Spain for $192 and buying a new GS911 locally for $459.

The total cost will be around the same price that the dealer would charge for parts and labour…if they would do the job. 

Ron

wbw6cos

I thought BMW OEM parts were warranted for 2 years.   :dontknow:

3 hours ago, wbw6cos said:

I thought BMW OEM parts were warranted for 2 years.   :dontknow:

Two years IF installed by an authorized dealer.  I think DIY installations are only warranted for one year, and maybe not even that for electrical components.

An old link, but I think still in effect: Warranty Statement

• Like 1