IGNORED

Behind the Scenes of Corner Working at a Race Track

David

I thought some of you might be interested in what goes on behind the scenes at a race track (pardon some of the photos, some of which were taken with a camera phone). This wasn't a race, so course control and the corner workers had much less work to do (no race starting; no official timing; no live camera feeds; etc.). I like to be a corner worker for two reasons. First, it's like getting a stage pass where you can see things from a different perspective. For example, the riders who stand out are the really bad ones and really good ones, and you can learn from both. You never notice the middling ones as long as they stay out of trouble. Second, I like doing it because I get free track days. tongue.gif There are permanent, paid corner workers at most tracks, supplemented by a volunteer force that's been vetted for their understanding, judgment, etc. The volunteers don't get paid--they just get lots of free track time. If they do well, they get invited back. If they don't, well, it was fun while it lasted, like the corner worker who actually crashed the day before. Or a different one who cut off Keith Code. Oops. (He got invited back, but only after getting flipped off and then chewed out.) grin.gif

So it works like this (at Barber, anyway). You show up at 7:00a and typically pit next to the other corner workers, which just makes it easier. After unloading, you need to get your motorcycle through tech inspection (STT requres this; Code does not, in which case you tech your own). Then there's a little bit of down time, which is when I would set up the transmitter for my lap timer, near the start finish line, and find some coffee and such.

Next is a daily orientation for the corner workers by the head of course control, in this case Trevor (thanks for the picture, Mark).

orientation.jpg

Here's a track map for reference as I go through these pictures:

CircuitMap.png

The permanent corner workers are trolley'ed out to their stations, while we ride our bikes out to our assignment. As you can see in this picture, you have to park so that your bike is not an obstacle in the event of an on-course incident while the track is live (there are typically 5-10 incidents per day).

park.jpg

In the above picture, I'm parked at corner station 4, at turn 3. And that's the first confusing thing about it--there are far more flag stations than turns, and they do not correlate with the corner numbers you may be using when you are on the track.

The second confusing thing is actually how to get to your booth. Each station is different, and there isn't much time when you are rotating between sessions. This one is easy, as you just tuck back inside the barrier. While we're on this subject, Mark, why were you riding your GS across the dirt between stations? Forget your GPS? smile.gif

Here's what a station looks like. Christine took this picture from across the fence, where she was trying to distract/irritate us:

inbooth.jpg

Some of the stations have fans, but most don't. And it can get quite hot in Alabama in the summer, so you've got to peel your leathers part way off. At least there's a canopy roof.

Here's a shot of your "supplies" for the day, and each station is equipped similarly.

supplies.jpg

From left to right...

Fire extinguisher (which serves as a handy helmet rack).

Trash can.

Bug spray (wasps, mosquitoes, ants, snakes).

Stool and pad.

Bucket of drying compound for oil, antifreeze, etc.

Flags. In this case we were just using two. A standing yellow (held in place) indicates a tad bit of caution, but still allows 80% speed and passing. A waving yellow indicates significant danger right here, and calls for greatly reduced speeds and no passing. The blue flag is a "school" flag in that it's for this particular setting. We use it to single out individual bikes with unsafe conditions (muffler hanger gone; dripping oil; loose faring; face shield not down), unsafe operation, or blown drills. In the upper left frame you can see a traffic light, used in real races to supplement the flag conditions.

Red tackle box for the radio gear.

Broom, just barely visible.

Out of sight is a porta-potty, usually shared by two adjacent corner stations.

This close-up shows the two radio systems. By default you are wearing the headset, which is hard-wired to course control. There's a PTT switch that you activate to break in and report an issue. It's full duplex, and every station is on the same channel.

I leave one ear off, though, so I can hear the handheld GMRS radio. It's there as a backup system, but also allows you to roam untethered to the station. So if there's an accident, you announce it on the main system and then say: "station no. 2 offline and on handheld. You go out to the wreck and are still in communication that way. This is also how you'd go to the bathroom. tongue.gif

This picture looks back toward the start finish line (from station 2--station 1 is not manned except in car races). Bikes move from right to left in this picture. The right hander immediately in front is the long turn 2, and the left hander in the background is turn 1, just off the straight.

radios.jpg

Obviously corner stations are placed at the points of greatest danger and visibility, so they must be behind the barrier, seen here:

self.jpg

You can see the traffic light in the background. And in this next picture, you can see one of the cameras. There are dozens of these around the track, and they supply the feed (via satellite uplink) that gets edited for TV:

camera.jpg

Here's a view from station 4 (turn 3), looking back toward the paddock (three level building). The pavement between this station and the paddock is turn 1, at the end of the long straight. The patch of asphalt to the left, just barely visible, is the straight between turns 3 and 4 (the hairpin).

paddock.jpg

This next view is from the same corner station, but rotated clockwise about 90 degrees to catch the end of turn 1 and the beginning of turn 2. I took it to show you the metal netting, meant to catch flying vehicle parts so they won't become projectiles--in this case, onto turn 3.

And here's a sand trap, meant to slow down tumbling vehicles. This is looking into the first third of turn 2.

sand.jpg

If I remember correctly, they spent $55 million building this course, and it's spectacular. Check out the grooming of this course, which is, I believe, 45 ft wide all the wide around. And those tires? They weren't used tires--they were all new. Nothing but the best. tongue.gif

I'm not positive which turn this is, since Christine took the picture, but I think it's one of the last right handers before the straight.

grooming.jpg

Here are some bikes just dipping into turn 2:

view2.jpg

And here's one cresting the rise at station 4, turn 3, just before passing the timing tower on the (rider's) left:

view3.jpg

Of the 20 stations or so, my favorite is 17a, from which this was taken with a camera phone. The rider is taking the final left onto the long straight, and the station is very close to the track, so there's lots to watch:

last.jpg

So, what are we watching for? Obviously, accidents, first. As soon as you see one, you radio it in. Course control decides what stations go to standing yellow and waving yellow. You are then the "eyes" for course control, telling him who went down and how badly hurt they are. If you are out there with the person, and you determine that an ambulance is needed, you extend your arms above your heard, with your hands together, making a big "A" for "ambulance. The course goes red, all riders exit the track, and only then can the ambulances role. There are normally two on call: one at start/finish, and one on the back straight. The nearest one is given the signal, and they'll head on the track to the scene, whether it's with or against traffic flow. They use lights but no siren, and there are some shortcuts to speed deployment. If it's really bad, they'll transport them to the helipad (at the beginning of the straight).

Once the rider is stabilized and any debris has been cleaned up, the course goes green again, but this time with just one ambulance on station. If there's another accident before the first ambulance is on call again, all track activity stops.

The other things we're watching for include unsafe passing (too close, or just stuffing someone inside a corner); erratic throttle control; sloppy gear changes; bad lines; wrong body position; unsafe braking; not following drills; etc. Each of these is called in, even if it happens to be another corner worker who happens to be on track. Right, Mark? tongue.gif He very wisely called in a fellow corner worker who was riding over his head, and that rider wasn't all too pleased.

There's incessant radio chatter reporting things to course control. If I report something and course control wants action taken, he'll call ahead one or two stations to give that worker the bike number and flag instructions. If the rider doesn't acknowledge the transgression, they keep getting flagged until they do. More serious transgressions require the rider to exit the track and get reamed out by course control.

Speaking of riding, here's how that works. How much you ride depends on how many extra corner workers there are. Since we only had two extras, there was not as much riding as normal, but I think we still got five sessions in each, or nearly that. So I started by working station 2 and Mark was at station 3. We manned those stations for three sessions, and then we rode. When we went on station again, I went to station 4 and Mark went to station 7, where we worked another three sessions before riding again. So there's variety as you get to work four or five different stations.

You carry everything you need for the day in a backpack. When your done with your rotation, you put your backpack on, hustle to your bike with the handheld, and wait for your replacement. You hand them the radio and take off, through pit out to the start/finish line. Drop your backpack and ride a session. When the checkered flag signals the end of the session, you swing back by course control, pick up your backpack, and head to your newly assigned corner, where the rider you are relieving is waiting for you and his/her turn to ride. The permanent corner workers stay in the same station all day.

It's a lot of fun and educational. You feel like a part of the team keeping people safe and helping them learn. It's fun to do it with people you know, too. This time I knew some of my fellow workers from last year, and of course Mark was there. Christine is joining us for three days in August.

This thread is too long already, so I'll talk about the actual riding in a later thread.

russell_bynum

Sounds like fun!

Christine took this picture from across the fence, where she was trying to distract/irritate us:

Inconceivable! cool.gif

Thanks for the write-up, David!

Russell and I would like to try the corner-working gig at some of Code's schools out at Willow.

I think it would be very educational as well. From your description, it does sound like a hard day, but worth it

I think it would be very educational as well. From your description, it does sound like a hard day, but worth it.

The hardest part is putting the headset back on after your session is done and having your fellow corner workers make fun of you. tongue.gif

David -

That is really cool. You're right, not only is it a very different perspective, it's also nice to know the nuts and bolts of how some of the tracks run (eg: who goes where/does what/why/what to do in case of xyz...), for someone who's never been riding on a track, much less working a corner for the day.

Thanks,

StretchMark

You captured the experience well!

Man, I'd love to have a couple of those corner worker seats during the Superbike races. What a fantastic perspective you get of the track!

I really struggle with passing (stemming from a little paint trading incident during my first Code school dopeslap.gif). Getting to sit there so close to the track and watch people make some really good safe passes in areas I never considered passing was a definite bonus. I started passing regularly on the outside of turn 2 after watching an older gentleman in our group on an old beater VFR (I think) spanking everyone on that turn.

Mark, why were you riding your GS across the dirt between stations? Forget your GPS?

Why? Because I had a GS...why else? smirk.gif Nah, I got the corner assignment for both of us and forgot which one I was supposed to be at, turn 2 or 3. It should have been a clue when David passed turn 2 that I should have stopped there. Oh well. It wasn't the only mistake I made that day. I also forget to go through the pits and get the drill the first time out. Then later in the day, I left my backpack at turn 7, so had to go the next hour without my food, water, camera, etc. That sucked!

Each of these is called in, even if it happens to be another corner worker who happens to be on track. Right, Mark? He very wisely called in a fellow corner worker who was riding over his head, and that rider wasn't all too pleased.

Yep, it really sucked having to flag our own guy, but he rode to the edge of the concrete coming around turn 3, then almost put it in the grass at turn 4. Of course he was the one following me at my station all day, so I had to deal with him at the end of the session. Let's just say he was not happy with me. I know it was the right call. He also made a very boneheaded pass later in the day almost pushing a student off the track. I'm pretty sure he won't be invited back.

Christine was doing Level II on Sunday. I had a great time watching her progress. She did great!! Level II is all about vision. Here she is in turn 3:

73928180-M-1.jpg

And then around Turn 11:

75750462-M-1.jpg

And making a good pass on the hill after turn 4:

73924504-M.jpg

I only rode on the track the same time as Christine for 1 session that day. I shot some video of her for a few laps, and unfortunately now have preserved forever a failed attempt to pass her. blush.gif

Can't wait to go back in August. thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

I shot some video of her for a few laps, and unfortunately now have preserved forever a failed attempt to pass her.

grin.gifthumbsup.gif Christine!

Having to stay behind the fence while Mark and David 'worked' the track was AGONIZING!!#!%# I did enjoy getting close to the fencing and harrassing my favorite BMW buddies smirk.gif. From what I could see, they were working their behinds off.

I killed David's camera battery in record time therefore, missing the ride sessions (for Christopher, Mark & David!)that I was suppose to capture! I spent the rest of my time trying to pick out specific riders to watch. The different skill levels were very noticeable but maybe, that's just because it's a whole lot slower than SuperBike races grin.gif!

I asked to be considered for corner working because I think it's an excellent way to give something back to the sport and still be able to do something I really enjoy...RIDING at BARBER!

russell_bynum

I only rode on the track the same time as Christine for 1 session that day. I shot some video of her for a few laps, and unfortunately now have preserved forever a failed attempt to pass her.

LOL!!!! GO HOONTANG!!!!!!!!

Mark, I'm pretty sure we're gonna need to see that video posted here so we can analyze every detail. grin.gif

I actually didn't believe him grin.gif. After watching the video, I felt so bad for him that I told him to get an FZ1 for his next track day thumbsup.gif!

Go Christine! You look great in those snaps, btw.

Mark, I too have trouble with passing. Sure, I don't have to do it all that often, but when I do, I am very hesitant. Without mirrors, it's hard to know when to dive back in...I am always afraid I will cut it too close.

I hope it works out for us to do corner working..seems cool (and the free track time is a nice bonus)

russell_bynum

After watching the video, I felt so bad for him that I told him to get an FZ1 for his next track day

My suggestion...if you're getting a track bike...get a REAL track bike, not a street bike that you'll force into track duty.

Of course...good riders can pass people on "faster bikes". grin.gif

I love chasing guys on CBR1000RR's, Gixxer 1K's, and R1's. My favorite way to pass them is to tuck in behind them at corner exit, draft them down the straights, then pop out and roast 'em on the brakes at the end of the straights.

Of course...it's funny when I do it, but when some old geezer on an EX500 Ninja does it to me it's not all that fricken' hilarious anymore. eek.gif

cool.gif

I really struggle with passing (stemming from a little paint trading incident during my first Code school dopeslap.gif). Getting to sit there so close to the track and watch people make some really good safe passes in areas I never considered passing was a definite bonus. I started passing regularly on the outside of turn 2 after watching an older gentleman in our group on an old beater VFR (I think) spanking everyone on that turn.

When I hesitate, I lose. The key for me is to be very deliberate, and then bail at the last minute if I have to. Otherwise I keep playing around.

I love passing on the outside of 2, as well. Gotta make sure you're passing a decent rider, though--I'm always a little nervous about a lowside that take you out, too.

My suggestion...if you're getting a track bike...get a REAL track bike, not a street bike that you'll force into track duty.

I'll take the opposite side of that argument, and I've thought a lot about it for myself.

I do understand the "purpose built" part of it, and in fact just last week I hit a lap time that I'd done on a real sport bike several years ago. But I have a lot more fun outside of a race replica position, even though it's not more efficient.

Great report. Now I want to go to a track day more than ever dopeslap.gif

Gonna be a while though, with my busted up Tiger bncry.gif

OK, I know this is a week old, but I just 'found' it and wanted to say...

Great report, David! thumbsup.gif Just seeing the pictures from an inside perspective makes a huge difference. Like Mark said, what a treat it would be to work at a real race!

Like the stations not matching corner numbers, one thing I found confusing was that the Cali Superbike group uses different numbers than the 'official' Barber corner numbers. I think it starts with 2 & 3. Barber lists the big horseshoe as two turns, while Code counts it as 1. This makes the slight right up the big hill Turn 3 and the hairpin Turn 4 (instead of 4 and 5, respectively accd to the 'official' track map).

I'm not positive which turn this is, since Christine took the picture, but I think it's one of the last right handers before the straight.

I'm fairly certain that is Turn 13 (or what the Code people call Turn 11, or was it 12 confused.gif ). One enters the picture at top left as you crest the hill after a left-right transition off the back straight, down into the right (lower right side of pic), then back uphill toward the last right before the front straight or pit in.

Wow that looks like fun, I would love to go over to Barber. Great write up by the way!

Gonna be a while though, with my busted up Tiger

What happend?

Archived