IGNORED

1100 Head Nut Question

James in OK

James in OK

Apologies if you also see this post on BMWMOA.

About 700 miles ago, I repaired some stripped M6 bolts in my RH cylinder jug. The repair involved removing the head to access the stripped holes. I successfully did that repair, and reinstalled the head. No leaks. Now, I'm dripping oil when engine runs (appears to be coming from head gasket area). Remembering that it's time to retorque the head nuts, I got out my Factory Repair Manual to study up before actually doing it.

As I looked at the procedure, I noticed that the manual says to install the head bolt collar TOWARDS the cylinder head. (see photo) The exploded diagram seems to show exactly the opposite. Which is correct? I'm pretty sure I placed the flat part of the nut towards the cylinder head.

20240520_125154.jpg

King Herald

My Haynes manual gives a pretty blurry picture, that shows very little, but the text says the ‘collared’ end goes towards the cylinder head. I’m guessing it’s to reduce friction when torqued, but DR will enlighten us shortly. 
The Haynes manuals are very basic, with their grainy black and white tiny little pics.  

IMG_9296.thumb.jpeg.eb81d34889365365bea02185026d2cbe.jpeg

IMG_9295.thumb.jpeg.ef07ebe6b519f12b4ef354312fb39dae.jpeg

James in OK
5 minutes ago, King Herald said:

My Haynes manual gives a pretty blurry picture, that shows very little, but the text says the ‘collared’ end goes towards the cylinder head. I’m guessing it’s to reduce friction when torqued, but DR will enlighten us shortly. 
The Haynes manuals are very basic, with their grainy black and white tiny little pics.  

Thank you - that's another source saying exactly what the "Caution" note and the arrow in the diagram say. I don't have the Haynes manual so that is helpful. 

dirtrider
1 hour ago, James in OK said:

Thank you - that's another source saying exactly what the "Caution" note and the arrow in the diagram say. I don't have the Haynes manual so that is helpful. 

Evening James 

Cyl head nuts.jpg

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
James in OK

Thanks for all the responses. On my retorque, I turned them correctly (one at a time) and torqued them per spec, then fired it up to find the same oil leak. Got a fan on the engine and started the bike to watch what was happening and it was from the (RH side) oil tensioner on the bottom. I pulled it out and the copper washer was galled.  My head gasket set had an extra copper washer - I installed it and the leak is gone.

I appreciate the responses very much!

• Smile 1
  • 3 weeks later...