IGNORED

fuse box

wayneo

wayneo

I like to install the fuse box I had in my 14R1200RT in a 2022 R1250RT.  It has the radio and all of the other goodies, I don't have the space that was available under the passenger seat.  I'm not sure what component is now taking up that space.  I'd like to know what space others have used or has everyone moved away from fuse boxs and gone the ezcam  

10 hours ago, wayneo said:

I don't have the space that was available under the passenger seat.

The space is still there, just harder to access. I tow a single wheel trailer with my '21 RT and I used two automotive relays to feed parts of the lighting to the trailer. I fitted them behind the tyre pressure (I think) sensor. It is a lot harder to get to, you need to remove the pillion handle bars, top box support plate and the tail end fairing piece (colour coded part) but it's ok if you only need to get there once. Mot suitable for fuses though, unless you would use auto reset ones.

Joe Frickin' Friday
14 hours ago, wayneo said:

I like to install the fuse box I had in my 14R1200RT in a 2022 R1250RT.  It has the radio and all of the other goodies, I don't have the space that was available under the passenger seat.  I'm not sure what component is now taking up that space.  I'd like to know what space others have used or has everyone moved away from fuse boxs and gone the ezcam  

Like you, I had an Eastern Beaver PC-8 fuse box in my '09 R1200RT, so I figured I'd do the same for my '23 R1250RT.  With no room under the saddles, the only real space is in the tail section.  You could squeeze a fuse box in there, but space is so tight that it becomes difficult to replace fuses or connect wires to the terminals.  The ezCAN seems ideally suited for this space, and the harness is the exact right length for reaching the accessory power terminals on the right side of the bike.

The access into the tail space is tight, but I was able to open up the entry by removing the silver-painted piece on the top of the rack.  Removing the rear saddle exposes two screws, and once you remove those screws, you can take that piece off:

46-54-8-548-025.jpg.f507874d6faa1f3e518a4c081597706b.jpg

Once you're done with your installation, you reinstall that piece.

I found a flat space in there that I was able to stick a sheet of Dual-Lock to, with a mating piece of Dual-Lock stuck to the ezCAN.  That lets me take the ezCAN out to access the USB port if necessary, and then just press it back into place.

• Like 1
strataj

I'm with Mitch, even if you do get it under the rack in the rear of the bike do you really want to take the bike apart on the road for a fuse?  The ezcan makes it super easy in many ways except your wallet.