IGNORED

New to BMW (motos), looking at a 2024 R12

GaryRad

GaryRad

Hello - now that I have been directed here (and told my proposed bike is a "Camhead") just wanted to say hello.  Guess there are not a lot of new R12 owners around yet, eh?

R12 Red - Left side.jpg

• Like 3
Rougarou

Did you consider the range?   Looking at the specs, with a 3.7gal tank,.....at my estimate of 45mpg, its only 166 miles to reserve........that's some stop and go time.  If I memba Valencia (port visit in 93ish), there's alot of open space outside the city.

• Like 1
abush357

As long as the bike is comfortable for you, I'd think it would work well for both of those things. The range isn't bad, I've covered a lot of miles on a bike with a 180 mile range that was probably a lot less capable than the R12. 

I currently ride a 2012RT but I like the looks of these bikes a lot better - let us know how it goes when you get it!

• Like 1
GaryRad
3 hours ago, Rougarou said:

Did you consider the range?   Looking at the specs, with a 3.7gal tank,.....at my estimate of 45mpg, its only 166 miles to reserve........that's some stop and go time.  If I memba Valencia (port visit in 93ish), there's alot of open space outside the city.

Yes, and that fits right into my "let's stop for a coffee or the view" mentality. I actually went to the dealer to sit on her, feel the ergonomics today. Had my exact spec sitting on the showroom floor, made a great deal, and bought it... the red looks much better in person, especially in low light.

R12 Front left .jpg

R12 Rear left.jpg

R12 Rear view.jpg

• Like 8
  • Smile 1
GaryRad

Also, what is "BMWSportTouring Member Assistance" I see referred to in the Profile setup? Is this a type of travel insurance offered here somewhere?

Rougarou

It's travel insurance you don't pay for.  Members put what "assistance" they can offer at their location, be it mechanical, hospitable, storage, towing, etc.

So if you are on the road and break down, you can check for someone nearby that would be willing to assist,.....hence insurance you don't pay for.

• Like 2
wbw6cos

While your bike is under warranty,  Roadside Assistance may be available from BMW Motorrad.   My RT was, but double check your paperwork once the ink dries.  :java:

Congrats!   You will love that bike, I am sure. 

Cheers!

• Plus 1 1
  • Thanks 1
GaryRad
13 hours ago, wbw6cos said:

While your bike is under warranty,  Roadside Assistance may be available from BMW Motorrad.   My RT was, but double check your paperwork once the ink dries.  :java:

Cheers!

Thanks, i'll ask the dealer about it. On another note, as i enjoy servicing my own equipment, is there a service manual for this engine out there somewhere? (I know the bike is new, but the engine has been around for quite some time, assume the driveline is same as NineT?). I would likely buy any specialty tools necessary for general service, mostly concerned with oil changes (engine and driveline), valve adjust, etc..

wbw6cos
On 5/14/2024 at 10:09 PM, 9Mary7 said:

I don't think they have hit dealers in the U.S. yet.....

MAX has them on their website for under $18 k.

3 hours ago, GaryRad said:

On another note, as i enjoy servicing my own equipment, is there a service manual for this engine out there somewhere? (I know the bike is new, but the engine has been around for quite some time, assume the driveline is same as NineT?). I would likely buy any specialty tools necessary for general service, mostly concerned with oil changes (engine and driveline), valve adjust, etc..

Not sure if Factory Service Manual is available from BMW Motorrad anymore.  I lucked out when I purchased mine for my Shift Cam motor in the RT; the chassis for it is still based on prior years down to 2014.   Within a few weeks of my FSM showing up, Motorrad quit offering it for sale.   :dontknow:    There may be copies available online from unauthorized sources, so be careful with that.  

As far as tools for cam alignment, @Boxflyer and/ or @MachineJoe may be able to advise you if specialty tools are available for that engine, or not.    You could also check with the parts department at your dealer to inquire about FSM, cam alignment, cam chain tensioner, and top dead center tools and see if they are available to purchase.  The R12  bike does not show up in the online parts microfiche at some of the dealer websites, but maybe use your VIN to see what shows up:  https://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do?vin=&kind=M&series=K56&arch=0

• Thanks 1
GaryRad
On 5/15/2024 at 7:24 PM, wbw6cos said:

Cheers!

Found out yesterday that it comes with the bike during the 3 year warranty as long as I use BMW for scheduled services, which I planned on doing during warranty anyway..

• Like 2
12 hours ago, GaryRad said:

Found out yesterday that it comes with the bike during the 3 year warranty

Is that all? 3 years? Down Under we get 5 with any new BMW bike sold. I thought you guys in the U.S. would be getting the same.

GaryRad
8 hours ago, Hati said:

Is that all? 3 years? Down Under we get 5 with any new BMW bike sold. I thought you guys in the U.S. would be getting the same.

I'm not in US, I live in Spain..

• Like 1
13 hours ago, GaryRad said:

I'm not in US, I live in Spain..

Even more peculiar as the U.S. usually has a rule to their own... 

Bernie

BMW sells new bikes in the USA with a 3 year/36,000 mile warranty standard. You can buy an extended warranty for an additional 4 years for most models, I think. 

• Like 1
Bernie
On 5/15/2024 at 10:56 AM, GaryRad said:

Yes, and that fits right into my "let's stop for a coffee or the view" mentality. I actually went to the dealer to sit on her, feel the ergonomics today. Had my exact spec sitting on the showroom floor, made a great deal, and bought it... the red looks much better in person, especially in low light.

R12 Front left .jpg

R12 Rear left.jpg

R12 Rear view.jpg

Congratulations and many happy safe miles. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
marcopolo
2 hours ago, Bernie said:

BMW sells new bikes in the USA with a 3 year/36,000 mile warranty standard. You can buy an extended warranty for an additional 4 years for most models, I think. 

Warranty coverage varies by market. In Canada BMW Motorrad’s warranty is 3 years, unlimited kilometres/miles, including roadside assistance. Of course, with our winters, it’s not as generous as it might first appear. Those terms, though, apply anywhere I ride, which really just means in the U.S.

• Like 1
Paul De

Welcome.  Nice looking ride!

While the BMWST site seems to have more members riding adventure, touring, sport touring, and standard models, there are a few folks here who prefer to ride a cruiser model.  In any case you'll find plenty of folks with great knowledge and experience that is shared freely.  And we look forward to you sharing your riding experience.

Personally, I've thought BMW has mostly missed the mark with their cruiser efforts, but find your model the most attractive of the cruiser models they have put out to date. It doesn't try to be too retro, or look like an after thought styling effort. I definitely  like the purposeful design of a modern cruiser with a contemporary motor.  IMO they got this one right.

Smart move to stay with the dealer doing service while under warranty.  I don't know how BMW handles warranty in Spain, but here in the USA, BMW is fussy not only about who did the servicing but if their approved (BMW branded) fluids were used.  Definitely there is less resistance for a warranty claim if a problem happens and the bike's service history has been all within BMW's dealer network.

GaryRad
33 minutes ago, Paul De said:

Welcome.  Nice looking ride!

While the BMWST site seems to have more members riding adventure, touring, sport touring, and standard models, there are a few folks here who prefer to ride a cruiser model.  In any case you'll find plenty of folks with great knowledge and experience that is shared freely.  And we look forward to you sharing your riding experience.

Personally, I've thought the BMW has mostly missed the mark with their cruiser efforts, but find your model the most attractive of the cruiser models they have put out to date. It doesn't try to be too retro, or look like an after thought styling effort. I definite like the purposeful design of a modern cruiser with a contemporary motor.  IMO they got this one right.

Smart move to stay with the dealer doing service while under warranty.  I don't know how BMW handles warranty in Spain, but here in the USA, BMW is fussy not only about who did the servicing but if their approved (BMW branded) fluids.  Definitely there is less resistance for a Warranty claim if a problem happens and the bike's service history has been all within BMW's dealer network.

Thanks, it's the same here regarding service. I don't want to give them any excuse to argue should something occur under warranty. Going right to the dealer I purchased it from until the 3 years is up! I came across another forum dedicated to R12's, its just starting out but another option. https://www.r12forums.com/?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR15hR5fbFOkJlzzb1uxMu7XJqQKdXCCOAo_zv71rI-DerNJbPuutnfZDbE_aem_AdkhezH5u86wPJy3AAuz1v5gfcdJD-hWmW1tl95dDXPuNoowzYjSfqw5Qf5RLTFLyKILwYGID9XS7zHYBb_PKOiN

• Like 1
GaryRad

Two more newbie questions.. 

Would these RNineT head protectors fit, as they list nothing for the R12 RNineT or the R12 (cruiser) - (https://www.clubmotero.es/tienda/defensas-anticaídas-sw-motech/69491-sw-motech-mss0765310000-s-Proteccion-de-cilindro-Plateado-BMW-R-nineT-Pure-Scrambler-20.html?_gl=1*t95yfo*_up*MQ..&gclid=CjwKCAjwr7ayBhAPEiwA6EIGxEBV3iAqwjb77CU1vaRlVPn9CPOETdlGTH3Ucpb7EO0eJzxggn364xoChLkQAvD_BwE

What material are the new seats covered with? Looking to keep it looking\feeling new, no idea if it's leather or just vinyl...

RTinNC

I sat on that same bike at my dealer in Charlotte, North Carolina yesterday. Very attractive and clean looking design and I love the color.

Congrats and many miles of smiles.

Regarding the warranty, the BMW as noted is three years 36,000 miles but you can get an extended warranty for up to five additional years. On both my current bikes I left the dealership with eight years of coverage.

• Thanks 1
GaryRad

She is home in the (disorganized) Garage.. Going to take a bit of getting used to, a bit different than my AJP 650 Adventure! :4323: . Already did two mods\additions, Swapped out the BMW phone holder for my Quad-Lock and added a 2nd USB port (and as a bonus  - battery voltage indicator) with a USB -> Hella\DIN plug in the battery charge port. Also got a NOCO "GC009 X-Connect adapter" and a  generic "Hella\DIN Plug to SAE adapter" for my NOCO Genius 1 charger\maintainer (after being sure it was AGM Battery compatible).

PXL_20240527_161954807.jpg

PXL_20240527_162250661.jpg

• Like 4
Darbarian

Gary, play around with your account settings and signature a bit... gives context to your posts ... and could help you find neighbors her on the forum.

• Thanks 1
wbw6cos

He is listed on the Member Map, in Spain.   One other member listed up the coast froom him.

• Thanks 1
GaryRad
8 hours ago, Darbarian said:

Gary, play around with your account settings and signature a bit... gives context to your posts ... and could help you find neighbors her on the forum.

Done, thanks|

• Like 1