IGNORED

Best Cable Lubricant

Bumwah

Bumwah

My 1974 R90/6 at 50 years old needs the throttle cable lubricated. Anybody have a favorite lubricant?

I would like to make it easier to accelerate… It seems pretty simple but, it’s been a while. It’s time.

Dennis Andress

None. BMW cables have nylon sheathing. Adding a lubricant has always made the problem worse for me.  

Hosstage
13 minutes ago, Dennis Andress said:

None. BMW cables have nylon sheathing. Adding a lubricant has always made the problem worse for me.  

Even on 50 year old bikes?

If they are old school cables with no nylon sheathing, I'm a fan of Tri-Flow lubricant. I know the formula has changed, but I still like it. I sometimes throw a few drops of 3in1 oil in with it.

• Like 1
dirtrider
1 hour ago, Bumwah said:

My 1974 R90/6 at 50 years old needs the throttle cable lubricated. Anybody have a favorite lubricant?

I would like to make it easier to accelerate… It seems pretty simple but, it’s been a while. It’s time.

Afternoon Bumwah

It kind of depends on your cables, if still has the 1974 cables then  I'm not sure if they were Teflon lined or not. If they are not Teflon lined then about any dedicated motorcycle cable lube will work. (do not use motor oil)

If it has replacement cables with Teflon liners then do not use conventional petroleum based cable lube.

On the Teflon lined cables, you can lubricate them if they start to drag, my personal choice for this is the older (discontinued) Tri-Flow (with Teflon). Unfortunately it is almost impossible to find. If you can find it the old Tri-Flow then it is golden for Teflon lined cable lube.

The current Tri-Flow does not contain (Teflon), it might still be OK but I haven't tried it. 

Never use a petroleum based cable lube on Teflon lined cables.

The throttle assembly on the R-90 is unique, it has a gear & chain system in the twist grip housing that requires occasional maintenance, cleaning, & lubrication. 

Check your PM's (Personal Messages) on this site as I sent you a document  (with pictures) of the chain area lube points.

Pay attention if you disassemble the drive parts, if you don't line it back up correctly you won't have full throttle travel. 

Hosstage

You may also want to disassemble and clean the throttle handle. I use a very light coating of grease when I re-assemble it. Don't forget to clean and lightly lube (again, Tri-Flow) the carb linkage as well.

taylor1

Alot of times on an airhead when the throttle gets stiff it is the throttle gear. As Hosstage mentioned, take it apart and give it a good cleaning and you will probably be surprised.

Bumwah

Thank you everyone… The actual drive gear and chain, throttle cable control is brand new and smooth in operation.( Last Years panic ). Thanks to DR and our forum for getting the correct parts. Back in the day I remember using molybdenum dry slide on cables but never on this bike. I’ll try and find Triflow or something equal to the task

Or maybe I’m weaker and it takes more energy to ride? Nah! Can’t be that… I’ll find some lube!.

• 1 month later...
Scotto336
On 5/1/2024 at 12:32 PM, dirtrider said:

Afternoon Bumwah

It kind of depends on your cables, if still has the 1974 cables then  I'm not sure if they were Teflon lined or not. If they are not Teflon lined then about any dedicated motorcycle cable lube will work. (do not use motor oil)

If it has replacement cables with Teflon liners then do not use conventional petroleum based cable lube.

On the Teflon lined cables, you can lubricate them if they start to drag, my personal choice for this is the older (discontinued) Tri-Flow (with Teflon). Unfortunately it is almost impossible to find. If you can find it the old Tri-Flow then it is golden for Teflon lined cable lube.

The current Tri-Flow does not contain (Teflon), it might still be OK but I haven't tried it. 

Never use a petroleum based cable lube on Teflon lined cables.

The throttle assembly on the R-90 is unique, it has a gear & chain system in the twist grip housing that requires occasional maintenance, cleaning, & lubrication. 

Check your PM's (Personal Messages) on this site as I sent you a document  (with pictures) of the chain area lube points.

Pay attention if you disassemble the drive parts, if you don't line it back up correctly you won't have full throttle travel. 

I know Snowbum has advised against lubing teflon cables with oil in the past, but I believe this was to prevent the lube from being a magnet for debris, not chemical compatibility.  Teflon is fine with petroleum based oils and pretty much everything else you might use.  It's commonly used in the oil industry https://www.teflon.com/en/industries-and-solutions/industries/energy-oil-gas . If you have a sticky throttle cable set that is routed properly I would recommend replacing the cable(s) as a matter of safety.