IGNORED

Newport START Check In thread and stories

Indy Dave

Indy Dave

Check in here that you got home and this is the perfect place to share your adventure (and all manor of other) stories!

• Like 5
  • Indy Dave pinned and featured this topic
Indy Dave

Welp - I've had my obligatory Waffle House Breakfast and coffee, and soon I'll be taking the Long Way Home. I know you have your Sunday routes and routines all set as well. We've enjoyed having all of you, from CA to MA and CA to FL - thank you all!

So long, Fairwell

Auf Wiedersehen, good riding
I hate to go &  leave this friendly assembly

Hope to see you all at the UnRally and at Natural Bridge in the Fall!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Terri & Craig got home Sat afternoon. Had a great time. Too many people to meet. Will have to continue meeting folks in Natural Bridge. At least I'm in. We'll figure out if Terri can make it closer to the event. 

Thanks to all the organizers, Brad, and everyone who contributes their time!

Edited by TyTass
  • Like 6

Left at 0800, home before 1100. Had a great 1200 miles of fun over the past few days. Thanks to Dave, Brad and the crew for all you do.

• Like 6
TN_R_Girl
8 hours ago, Indy Dave said:

Welp - I've had my obligatory Waffle House Breakfast and coffee, and soon I'll be taking the Long Way Home. I know you have your Sunday routes and routines all set as well. We've enjoyed having all of you, from CA to MA and CA to FL - thank you all!

So long, Fairwell

Auf Wiedersehen, good riding
I hate to go &  leave this friendly assembly

Hope to see you all at the UnRally and at Natural Bridge in the Fall!

Dammit DAVE!!  Now that song is stuck in my head ... AGAIN!!!  :dopeslap:

"Home" safely in Cookeville about 12:20 p.m. CST.  Already scheming for Natural Bridges.  

I know I say it almost every time, but I cannot express to you all how special (and important) these get togethers are for me.  Until the Fall . . . 

• Like 8

Home safe after about a 300 mile day home which included routes 209, 215, and 176.

Thanks to Bill Rorke and Nicole for leading me home with you some great backroads. And thanks to everybody who made this a spectacular event. Can’t wait for September and FART

• Like 6

Pretty sure this is how Brian looked after riding the Devil‘s triangle up to the warden’s table at Brushy Mountain penitentiary

IMG_1780.thumb.jpeg.7674854fe120dc7145f4e307640fac58.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Smile 1
  • Haha 3
taylor1

Home Safe. As always had an outstanding time! Thanks to all that put this event together. I have just one concern though, since becoming a full-fledged member of the BRB's, I'm hoping William does not let it go to his head :beer:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Thinking 1
MachineJoe

I had had a great time, made new friends, and want to thank all you guys (BBR's) for putting on a great event.

Home and relaxing now

• Like 6

Made it home by noon..! For a bit of a scenic alternate, I took TN 32 through Cosby and along the Smokies to I-40 near the NC state line. Never have I seen so many squirrels playing on the road! Somehow managed to run that gauntlet without adding to the road-kill count.. 

Anyhow, great event as usual! Thanks to all those who help put this together.

• Like 5
brianh70
1 hour ago, RTinNC said:

Pretty sure this is how Brian looked after riding the Devil‘s triangle up to the warden’s table at Brushy Mountain penitentiary

IMG_1780.thumb.jpeg.7674854fe120dc7145f4e307640fac58.jpeg

LOL!!!  So here’s what you do.  Whenever someone hands you their phone and asks you to take a picture, you take one or two of them, then say “Hold on!  One more!”, then switch it to selfie mode and photobomb them.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
brianh70

I left at around 8:30 and had a nice leisurely ride home.  I got home at 4:45.  It was so nice hanging out with everyone again!  Thanks to Dave and the BBR crew for continuing to put these events together.  Thanks for the awesome routes, Bernie!

See you all  at Natural Bridge!

IMG_0064.jpeg

• Like 4

Mitch agreed to let me chase him home today.  Safely home after 658 miles.  No rain.  Thanks to the folks that set this up.  Another great event.

• Like 6
wbw6cos
1 hour ago, taylor1 said:

Home Safe. As always had an outstanding time! Thanks to all that put this event together. I have just one concern though, since becoming a full-fledged member of the BRB's, I'm hoping William does not let it go to his head :beer:

Good one, Dave.  With great horsepower, comes great responsibility.

I will be my usual, wacky self.   :burnout:

• Like 5
MikeB60

Uneventful ride home in the F150. Thanks again to the crew for a great event!

• Like 6
wbw6cos

Oh, made it home safe and sound with the great riding with Chris and Lowndes, just in time to mow the grass.   :dontknow:

I had a great time.   I enjoyed helping Bernie with one of his First Timers Group rides; more points for earning my leadership badge.  :grin:

It was great meeting new people from all over and seeing all the regulars.  Lots of nice bikes, too!! 

I rate the whole experience with 5 stars, will attend again.

Thanks for all BBR folks do (plus the other support from volunteer members!)    I mean, just think, a few days ago I could not even pronounce Bumbling BackRoad Riders™ and now I is one.  :yes:

I park for free, and you can too!  So come down or ride on over to the next Appalachian Riding Tour.  See you soon and we'll leave the light on!

• Like 5
2 hours ago, RTinNC said:

Home safe after about a 300 mile day home which included routes 209, 215, and 176.

Thanks to Bill Rorke and Nicole for leading me home with you some great backroads. And thanks to everybody who made this a spectacular event. Can’t wait for September and FART

Our pleasure Ed!  Nice having you along for the ride. Thanks for telling us about this event and suggesting we attend.  Nicole & I had a great time and really felt welcomed. Thanks to all that made this happen. We plan on attending more in the future.

• Like 5

The Honda promotional roadshow,(Jacque and I) got to "Sweet Home Alabama" about 3:45 CST.

Thanks again to the BBRs for a great event and I will see y'all in the fall unless you come to D.A.R.T. and I"ll see you there!!

• Like 5
F16Viper68

Thanks to everyone for putting together another great rally. Had a great day riding over to Greer, South Carolina. Attending the BMW two day Off-Road training at the BMW Performance Center. 

I hope to see everyone again before the end of the year.  

Dave…

IMG_1416.jpeg

IMG_1423.jpeg

IMG_1430.jpeg

• Like 6
Indy Dave

'Back home again in Indiana' at the tune goes. Got home about 5:30, 468 miles.

I'll post a summary tomorrow....... in the meantime I'll START the storytelling.....

You may remember I mentioned that Ernie began his truck to start by going to the airport in Connecticut at 4:30 a.m., then having delayed flights flying to Indiana and doing a rideshare bike rental, arriving at 9:30pm Thursday.

When I shared that story, the guys who ended up singing the steppenwolf song, began to tell Ernie that he won an award and he needed to go up front... :rofl:Ernie was seated on the inside of a bench in a booth, and Donnie got up so Ernie could get out and the other guys kept telling him to hurry hurry and get up there to pick up his certificate........ So of course he did.... :whistle:

Of course there was no certificate, there was no award, and the only recognition he was getting was just calling out the Herculean effort he made to join us....

And so you may have noticed that Ernie just stood in line with the rest of the Bumbling BackRoad Riders. I was trying to figure out what he was doing up there and figured they were playing a prank on me. I finally asked him what he was doing up here and he just looked at me and shrugged his shoulders. And didn't move.

It finally dawned on Ernie that he best friends in the world has set him up and he slowly faded into the background, and went back to his friends with his tail between his legs.

Here's the only picture we have of Ernie standing up there trying to look official... He's on the far left.

Since this photo is pretty blurry, the boys have asked if anybody else happens to have a picture that has Ernie standing up there?

Ernie,Indy Scott, Indy Jerry and  EricInIndy are in the pool at Morehead, Kentucky currently having a cocktail- they're taking 2 days to come home  :wave:

IMG_2939(3).jpg

• Like 4
Joe Frickin' Friday

Home @ 4PM today, with @scout6 serving as my tailgunner.  Thankful that the T-storms predicted for SE Michigan never materialized.  Will post some pics and words tomorrow - for now, just a thanks to the organizers for hosting a fun event that had a lot going on.  :clap:

• Like 6
11 minutes ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

Home @ 4PM today, with @scout6 serving as my tailgunner.  Thankful that the T-storms predicted for SE Michigan never materialized.  Will post some pics and words tomorrow - for now, just a thanks to the organizers for hosting a fun event that had a lot going on.  :clap:

Was great to finally meet the famous "Joe Frickin' Friday" !  And promise not to call you Joe :rofl:

• Like 2

I and TripleBlack arrived home safely, by way of the @Huzbandexpress, towing the bike in the U-Haul trailer by 3:30 pm.

It was a good week and a great START 2024 with its of good riding with friends. Unfortunately cut short by a TN rock. I did try to find the, to save it for memories, but it decided to hide in the nearby river.

I also want to thank all the volunteer ride leaders for the First Timer Ride on Wednesday, @Rockosmith, @wbw6cos, @9Mary7, @BamaJohn and @Chef Paul @TEWKS. Thank you for volunteering your time and patience to help me with this crazy idea of mine. I think the First Timers really did enjoy it.

Hers is  picture of why my RT ended up in a trailer.

IMG_0161.thumb.jpeg.947e42fda6aa4c58a8105b91c43841ee.jpeg

The vented rim.

IMG_0162.thumb.jpeg.2f7871c143dd87e24d754900a93f3bcd.jpeg

So don’t make a mistake and let your eyes wander of the road. Things happen in a split second.

IMG_0167.thumb.jpeg.ac102e86e8eaf9bc57cb665674a44e62.jpeg

I hope to see all of you at either the UnRally 24 or FART 2024. Have a safe ride!

PS: I am sorry Ernie fell victim to his friends humor, but when @Indy Dave called my name to join the BBR guys, Ernie was send to the front by his friends.

:4317:

As they say, everyone needs good friends. :3:

I hope he understands a little humor.

Edited by Bernie
  • Like 10
  • Sad 6
Rockosmith

Home at 3:30 after a short 250 mile ride with a lunch stop at TWO in Suches GA. Lots of traffic in the mountains today, bike and sports cars.

• Like 7
RandyShields

Home safely by 3:15 after following route no. 1 with Todd F to Little Switzerland and one of my favorite lunch spots.  Bernie's route was fantastic -- with nice curvy roads along mountain streams.  Thanks again to Dave and the BBRs' for an outstanding event.  They just keep getting better!

20240428_112144 (002).jpg

• Like 7
RandyShields
8 hours ago, RTinNC said:

And promise not to call you Joe.

Hey, I resemble that remark!

• Smile 1
  • Haha 1
Indy Dave
19 hours ago, TN_R_Girl said:

Dammit DAVE!!  Now that song is stuck in my head ... AGAIN!!!  :dopeslap:

17 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Shannon, I can help clear that one out for ya, no problem! :rofl:

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0d0O4qKPHZO7POQd3nMTP2ERQ

It wasn’t bad, Dave. :classic_ohmy:

FIXED it for ya, PAT! :wave:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

:rofl:

I just clicked on the vid! That’s some good work right there! :clap:

• Like 2

Good morning, had a great time riding and meeting everyone. Made it safe to florida yesterday for another 3 weeks before heading home 

JC120:18:

• Like 4
marcopolo

Day 2 on my ride home. I’m currently stopped in Hazelton, PA, with about 6 hours of riding left to Ottawa, not counting stops, like the border crossing, of course. Today’s ride from Front Royal VA is about 600 miles. 

• Like 8
greiffster
3 hours ago, TEWKS said:

:rofl:

I just clicked on the vid! That’s some good work right there! :clap:

Yeah, I remember it slightly different.  :rofl:

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
Limecreek
17 hours ago, Bernie said:

I and TripleBlack arrived home safely, by way of the @Huzbandexpress, towing the bike in the U-Haul trailer by 3:30 pm.

It was a good week and a great START 2024 with its of good riding with friends. Unfortunately cut short by a TN rock. I did try to find the, to save it for memories, but it decided to hide in the nearby river.

I also want to thank all the volunteer ride leaders for the First Timer Ride on Wednesday, @Rockosmith, @wbw6cos, @9Mary7, @BamaJohn and @Chef Paul @TEWKS. Thank you for volunteering your time and patience to help me with this crazy idea of mine. I think the First Timers really did enjoy it.

Hers is  picture of why my RT ended up in a trailer.

IMG_0161.thumb.jpeg.947e42fda6aa4c58a8105b91c43841ee.jpeg

The vented rim.

IMG_0162.thumb.jpeg.2f7871c143dd87e24d754900a93f3bcd.jpeg

So don’t make a mistake and let your eyes wander of the road. Things happen in a split second.

IMG_0167.thumb.jpeg.ac102e86e8eaf9bc57cb665674a44e62.jpeg

I hope to see all of you at either the UnRally 24 or FART 2024. Have a safe ride!

PS: I am sorry Ernie fell victim to his friends humor, but when @Indy Dave called my name to join the BBR guys, Ernie was send to the front by his friends.

:4317:

As they say, everyone needs good friends. :3:

I hope he understands a little humor.

RideNow in Austin keeps a front wheel in stock if you have trouble finding a replacement. 

My new wheel and tire are back on the bike and ready for Torrey. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Dennis Andress
32 minutes ago, Limecreek said:

and reading for Torrey. 

What route are you taking?

3 hours ago, JC120 said:

Good morning, had a great time riding and meeting everyone. Made it safe to florida yesterday for another 3 weeks before heading home 

JC120:18:

We passed you on I-95 in South Carolina, on the worst piece of paved road. I tried to wave, but you were hanging on to that steering wheel with all your strength. It was great to meet you again and let me know if you need anything while down here in the south. 

• Like 3
53 minutes ago, Limecreek said:

RideNow in Austin keeps a front wheel in stock if you have trouble finding a replacement. 

My new wheel and tire are back on the bike and reading for Torrey. 

Have a good time In Torrey!

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Indy Dave said:

FIXED it for ya, PAT! :wave:

Well I must have forgotten to remove my ear plugs 😫.   I must be more careful in future, because it sounds like I missed a great performance. Thanks for sharing it, so I could experience the full effect. I wonder if Ernie had a chance to experience it?
:3:

• Like 1
KDeline

Home at 1 o’clock on Monday. Took a leisurely 700 mile ride back through mostly back roads. As always thank you to the crew put this on, and thank you for the many thoughts of Kate and my well being. I know she would have been humbled and genuinely surprised. I appreciate it more than you can know.

• Like 5
Limecreek
1 hour ago, Dennis Andress said:

What route are you taking?

Coming in via Salida so it will likely be I-70 to sweeper madness and in from the west.  The other 2 Texans are coming too. 

Dennis Andress

Salida is interesting…

I was thinking about: Tucumcari > Las Vegas > Taos > Chama > Farmington > Mexican Hat. 

Boxflyer

@Chef Paul and @Boxflyer arrived in Middletown, RI with the truck and trailer about 2PM Monday afternoon, safe and sound. 
It felt good to be off my feet for 2 days!

Great to see so many participants for this Spring event and hope to work on more bikes during the FART in Natural Bridge the end of September. 
I finished bike #168 for Cam Timing Saturday morning, and it’s nice to hear the positive feedback from everyone enjoying their “NEW” bikes!

Safe riding this summer and see you soon.

Brad Smith

• Like 14

I made it home Sunday. Shannon, Mike and I rode the prison route toward home. From there we hit some nice twisty roads. As I broke off from them in Monterrey, TN. I stopped to take this picture.

Another great event:5185:

100K.jpg

• Like 17
Matts_12GS
On 4/28/2024 at 4:32 PM, TEWKS said:

Shannon, I can help clear that one out for ya, no problem! :rofl:

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0d0O4qKPHZO7POQd3nMTP2ERQ

It wasn’t bad, Dave. :classic_ohmy:

Sorry I didn't get to chat with you Pst.  Next time!

Ashley and I are home now after two days in the coach coming back.  Great time and great event.   Great time camping with @StretchMark and @David

• Like 3
  • Plus 1 1
bluenoserswife

Our last day of riding from Newport.   We head for home tomorrow.   We followed another of Bernie's routes.   I will let Derrick share the exciting parts.  Here's a hint of some of it.  Thanks to everyone involved in organizing this event,  it was epic!

20240429_173829.jpg

• Like 6