IGNORED

US-50 in CO

Twisties

If you haven't heard, a bridge over Blue Mesa Reservoir on US-50 failed inspection.  A significant crack in an I-beam in the understructure was found, resulting in an immediate full closure of US-50.  This is near the large construction zone that is now going into it's 4th year.  Both are between Montrose and Gunnison, but they are on opposite sides of where CO-92 comes in.

The schedule for this years work on the construction zone has not yet been announced.  The schedule posted at that website today is just for example, but should soon be replaced with this years official schedule.  You can track that here:  https://www.us50info.com/

So, we had been riding CO- 65 over Grand Mesa, to CO-92 over/around Black Canyon to US-50 to CO-149 to Lake City/Creede.  This route can not be done at present due to the full closure at the bridge.  You can come off of 92 and head into Montrose, but then you will hit the construction zone. 

At present riders are advised to use I-70 or US-160 as detours.  A locals only detour has been established on County Rd 26 (dirt rd), but it is not open to general traffic.  They are working on getting Kebler Pass plowed early and opening that as a detour, but it will still be a huge delay, and part of it is dirt.  

• Sad 1
Twisties

As for the bridge, the closure is indefinite.  They are still conducting inspections.  They have to strip all of the paint off (and keep it out of the reservoir), then perform examinations of the entire understructure.  I suspect they will not make any decisions until the inspections are complete, and they don't even have a posted schedule for that....

I was hoping to finally tour there again later this year. And of course we'd have passed thru that bridge several times, since we'd 'camp' at Montrose for several days (then on Durango, to complete the week). Will scrutinize Google maps later, to see if there's a way around that. Thank you for posting that. Take care.