IGNORED

Bike identification

Mitch M

Mitch M

I just acquired another police bike. The title says it is RS model. It looks more like an RTP. I need wiring diagrams please and any help on identifying so I can get start on this project.

The DMV issued title designation has nothing to do with BMW's model designation. If it looks like an RT-P then it's an RT-P.   A picture would seal the deal.

• Plus 1 1
Mitch M

Where can I get wiring schematics that will be accurate? I mean using the VIN deciphered by number?

wbw6cos

Welcome to the board, Mitch.

You can get basic wiring diagrams, online, for the OEM portion of the bike, but the entity involved in adding, then subsequently removing police equipment will be a mystery; each entity (or whatever service dept) may have gone in entirely different directions on wiring, etc.   Let a multimeter be your friend, but even that could be a dead end due to a wire cut, or splice.  For the most part, no two units (bikes) will be alike.

Mitch M

That info I need is more the OEM stuff.  The police stuff isn't my concern. My primary issue is being able to identify part of the harness that has been burned. Not being able to tell for sure whether it started as an rs or rt would be very helpful. 

• Like 1
Michaelr11
16 hours ago, Mitch M said:

The police stuff isn't my concern. My primary issue is being able to identify part of the harness that has been burned. Not being able to tell for sure whether it started as an rs or rt would be very helpful.

BMW is pretty rigid on wiring specs, and using the same wire colors for the same purpose in all models. I'm sure there is some difference somewhere in the wiring of the RS v. RT, but I think an RT diagram will be entirely usable.

Mitch M

At this point I don't have either diagram. And haven't been able to find one on line for less than $60 .I have 2 2003 1150 rt-p, and my daily is a 99 r1100 rt. The only one that the wiring is messed up is the rt-p I just got that the title says is an rd. I would greatly appreciate any links that could be sent to me. 

• Like 1
Michaelr11
1 hour ago, Mitch M said:

At this point I don't have either diagram. And haven't been able to find one on line for less than $60 .I have 2 2003 1150 rt-p, and my daily is a 99 r1100 rt. The only one that the wiring is messed up is the rt-p I just got that the title says is an rd. I would greatly appreciate any links that could be sent to me. 

Do a google search for mac-pac bmw electrical schematic pdf

That should get you the free to download 1100 and 1150 electrical diagrams from the Mac-Pac org website. Created by Doug Raymond.

These are very comprhensive and very good. They are RT diagrams, but as I said, they should apply to 90+% of any BMW similar model.

Skywagon

I have a schematic of the fuse/relay box I’ll send you when I get home

There is no RS-P in the US.  Refer to my original post. Seriously, a photo is all I need.........:dontknow:

Mitch M

9 Mary 7 I'll take a pic when I get back home.  I'm at work right now. 

• Thanks 1
Mitch M

9 Mary 7

Side covers off next to my r100rt 

Almost exactly the same.  

It does have different controls than my other r1150tr-p 

Lots of little differences. 

17144409505881848718945266839395.jpg

17144409820932496682699163659527.jpg

Yup...1150RT-P .     The RS coding on the title is DMV-speak for a road motorcycle and has no bearing on any manufacturers' specific bike.

The switches can vary a lot due to how each dept ordered their bikes and how the extra electronics were attached. The basic bike's wiring (color coding) will be the same.

Looks like a big project...carry on.:ohboy:

Mitch M

9Mary7 it will be alright. Replace some burnt wires, put new seals in the forks replace seat.  Good to go. Motor is good body p pieces aren't in bad shape They are just not shown in picture.  My other rt-p will be getting sacrificed for parts.  The motor is too far gone to try to put on the road again.  

Thanks for being here!

• Thanks 1