IGNORED

1994 R1100RS - suggestions for a phone mount?

lukaspriest

lukaspriest

Hello there!  I found an old thread from someone asking about this, but it was 7 years old and locked.  I've just noticed that the RS doesn't have handlebars that would accommodate a traditional "bar" style mount, and I was curious what others have used to mount a phone on this bike?  I thought about trying to mount some kind of "suction cup" style mount to the tank, but I fret that I'll want up marring the paint.  Anyhow, if you've succeeded in finding a satisfying way to mount a phone to your RS, I'd love to see what product you used or how you went about it!  Many thanks!

dirtrider
2 hours ago, lukaspriest said:

Hello there!  I found an old thread from someone asking about this, but it was 7 years old and locked.  I've just noticed that the RS doesn't have handlebars that would accommodate a traditional "bar" style mount, and I was curious what others have used to mount a phone on this bike?  I thought about trying to mount some kind of "suction cup" style mount to the tank, but I fret that I'll want up marring the paint.  Anyhow, if you've succeeded in finding a satisfying way to mount a phone to your RS, I'd love to see what product you used or how you went about it!  Many thanks!

Evening luka

What handlebar setup do you have on that 1100RS. Is it a low mount adjustable or  ?????

I can't really tell you what will work but I haven't found a BMW yet that I can't get a RAM ball mount of one configuration or another to fit & work. 

You could always drill & tap the upper triple tree then mount a 1" RAM ball, then use a phone mount on that ball.

If you don't what to drill & tap then possibly replace one of the upper fork tube pinch bolts with a longer bolt, short spacer (to fit in the pinch bolt head recess & space the ball out), or use 1" ball with a short collar then use a longer pass-through bolt (file or grind the ball collar to fit in the pinch bolt head recess. 

LOTS of options, you just need to be creative in finding what will work for YOUR application & installation expertise.

Start by going to the RAM mount web site then use your imagination.          Link______ https://rammount.com/collections/motorcycle-all

If you have an i-phone be careful in mounting on the motorcycle as some i-phones have issues living a long life on a vibrating motorcycle. 

• Thanks 1
lukaspriest

So, this is my handlebar setup.  I'd prefer not to do any drilling if possible, but I suppose it's not out of the question!

20240330_140420.thumb.jpg.d9dee67a9202920cac6f65a754cab87c.jpg

dirtrider

Evening Luka

Or get a ball mount on an arm mounted to one of these holes. Probably be a pain to get it to clear the close-out panel but not impossible. 

You might also be able to find a RAM or other ball mount for the top cover on the  brake master cylinder but way out there, off-center, it will probably buzz pretty good at 4000+ RPM's ___  https://www.shopbmwmotorcycle.com/products/ram-mounts-master-cylinder-mount

1100RS upper tripple tree.jpg

• Thanks 1
lukaspriest

You are an absolute delight! Oh my goodness, thank you so much for taking the time to do such a wonderful reply to my query!  You have given me all kinds of ideas!  Much gratitude!