IGNORED

Killing on Autopilot

https://www.centraloregondaily.com/news/regional/tesla-seattle-crash-motorcycle-autopilot/article_29d90086-bfc5-5b7e-ad74-c57c14234d52.html

In my opinion, these systems should be not allowed on public roads except as testing requires by an trained & authorized employee of the vehicle manufacturer.  Only when it has been proven to be safe for pedestrians, bicyclists, and motorcyclists should it be used on public roads by the general public.  Until such time as the systems are safe, the vehicle operator AND the manufacturer should be criminally and civilly liable for death and injury.

• Plus 1 1
Camhead64

In my opinion the driver should be charged and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law, it has NOTHING to do with the autopilot driving feature. Tesla is VERY clear the autopilot driving feature does not take the place of a driver, and he admitted to NOT paying attention but playing on his phone, this is negligence and needs to be punished. 

• Plus 1 2
Hosstage

The manufacturer wasn't driving. But the A-hole that was should see jail time and a big monetary obligation to the rider's family.

• Plus 1 1
18 hours ago, Camhead64 said:

In my opinion the driver should be charged and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law, it has NOTHING to do with the autopilot driving feature. Tesla is VERY clear the autopilot driving feature does not take the place of a driver, and he admitted to NOT paying attention but playing on his phone, this is negligence and needs to be punished. 

If autopilot does not relieve the driver of being a driver, then what is it for.  If you have to pay attention as if you were driving and are expected to react to situations as if you are driving, there is no point in autopilot.  Sounds to me this is like saying smoking cigarettes with a filter and saying your not smoking.

• Like 1
Rougarou

Dont pilots still have to pay attention when on autopilot?,….i dunno, just spitballing this thing, but the technology is not the end all decision maker, the human still needs to supervise the technology 

And if you’re smoking Vantage with a filter, you aint really smoking, you’re just sucking air,…..when we’d get the care packages overseas, we’d cut the filters off any Vantages that came in to actually “smoke” a cigarette :classic_biggrin:

• Plus 1 1
  • Smile 1