IGNORED

Is the tire safe to use after a big hit?

Limecreek

Limecreek

Had a mishap on the highway. Hit a large block of wood at 70MPH. Instant flat tire that I got to the side of the road (barely) with the help of an alert trucker driving behind me. 

The PR6 was brand new. It looks undamaged but I wonder about the internal structure of the tire I can’t see. 

Thoughts?IMG_7388.thumb.jpeg.f6b2836c1982ee6cce661040e2a94b36.jpegIMG_7389.thumb.jpeg.5d0d4bacc41e752af1cf5f0e98a8e56a.jpeg

I would run it without hesitation if it shows no visual damage. 

I can't imagine how it could fail, maybe you're thinking a blow out? I can't imagine anything like that happening..

• Thanks 1

Good luck finding a replacement front wheel.  I have discovered that rear wheels are easy to source, but fronts are rare and very expensive.  At least you already have the brake rotors, bolts, and ABS disc.  I eventually found a front wheel from a salvage yard in Italy (!) that needed new bearings and spacer, as well as one new brake rotor.  I added up the cost of buying all the new components from BMW, and at the time several years ago, it was about $2000.  So, if you can find a used one, don't hesitate even if the price seems outrageous.

Cap

Limecreek
1 minute ago, Cap said:

Good luck finding a replacement front wheel.  I have discovered that rear wheels are easy to source, but fronts are rare and very expensive.  At least you already have the brake rotors, bolts, and ABS disc.  I eventually found a front wheel from a salvage yard in Italy (!) that needed new bearings and spacer, as well as one new brake rotor.  I added up the cost of buying all the new components from BMW, and at the time several years ago, it was about $2000.  So, if you can find a used one, don't hesitate even if the price seems outrageous.

Cap

There was one silver wheel in the US. It arrives Friday and comes with new wheel bearings installed. $1300 - ouch

dirtrider
8 minutes ago, Limecreek said:

There was one silver wheel in the US. It arrives Friday and comes with new wheel bearings installed. $1300 - ouch

Morning Limecreek

Look closely at the tire bead in the damaged rim area. See if it looks different than the other bead areas.  Also look for signs of a bruised or compromised sidewall just above the bead in that area. 

If you are having your insurance cover the rim (if you have road hazard)  might as well have them cover a new tire also. 

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 3
Limecreek
6 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Morning Limecreek

Look closely at the tire bead in the damaged rim area. See if it looks different than the other bead areas.  Also look for signs of a bruised or compromised sidewall just above the bead in that area. 

If you are having your insurance cover the rim (if you have road hazard)  might as well have then cover a new tire also. 

Will not submit a claim. They just get it back in premium adjustments. 

The entire internal bead area looks good but I just found two internal areas where the tire is deformed exactly at the impact area. 

Oh well - adding a new tire to the list of expenses.  But I’m alive so no complaints. 

• Like 7
dirtrider
14 minutes ago, Limecreek said:

Will not submit a claim. They just get it back in premium adjustments. 

The entire internal bead area looks good but I just found two internal areas where the tire is deformed exactly at the impact area. 

Oh well - adding a new tire to the list of expenses.  But I’m alive so no complaints. 

Afternoon Limecreek

You might try calling your insurance to see how they cover a road hazard type deal. If they consider it a collision or comprehensive type deal. If needed tell them that it was moving & it hit YOU. Do not tell them it was stationary & you hit IT. 

If they consider it a comprehensive type deal then in most cases (at least in my state) that doesn't increase future insurance rates.  (probably still have a deductible though) 

• Like 2
Dennis Andress

You won’t really know about the tire until about 120…

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 2
dirtrider
1 hour ago, Limecreek said:

Afternoon Limecreek

Just a thought, you might try calling Michelin & explain your situation.  I have heard of Michelin occasionally sending out free replacement tires when the integrity of one of their motorcycle tires is in question.  (I'm not sure if it was a possible lability thing or just a customer satisfaction thing)__ Might just be worth a try.  

• Like 1
DakarTimm

Ouch , The same thing happened to me . The tire was good for another 6000 miles. Glad you were safe.

Limecreek
47 minutes ago, Dennis Andress said:

You won’t really know about the tire until about 120…

On UT-95

• Plus 1 1
Skywagon
1 hour ago, dirtrider said:

Michelin occasionally sending out free replacement tires

I have had that happen on a punctured tire with 150 miles.  They had me buy a new tire, send in the receipt, and they sent me a check for the full amount.  I just sent a nice email asking if they could help since I was a lifelong Michelin guy for cars and motorbikes.

• Like 1

I had a similar thing happen to me on a ST3 a few years back.  Though it was a good size rock with the same taco damage. 

Took the wheel to a local wheel/frame shop that specializes in frame and wheel straightening.  It came back like new. Had to change the rotors, one was slightly warped.

The tire did take a hit but was fine.  Don't throw your wheel out. :bike:

• Plus 1 1
dirtrider
49 minutes ago, LBump said:

I had a similar thing happen to me on a ST3 a few years back.  Though it was a good size rock with the same taco damage. 

Took the wheel to a local wheel/frame shop that specializes in frame and wheel straightening.  It came back like new. Had to change the rotors, one was slightly warped.

The tire did take a hit but was fine.  Don't throw your wheel out. :bike:

Afternoon LBump

That wheel isn't getting repaired as it has a big crack in it's main structure. 

wheel.jpeg

• Like 1

Tires get damaged/compromised before the wheel does, so the fact your wheel was obliterated with that hit, I'd absolutely NOT use that tire. Just not worth the risk. Plus it'd most likely develop a bulge right away. Glad you made it out without falling. That's the advantage of a heavier bike, and one of the reasons I dislike light bikes for the highways. Trip ruined, but there are many more. Take care.

• Like 1
Bill Murray

My two cents worth. I would replace the tire -- for me, it would not be worth the risk. Based on the deformation of the wheel (as well as the crack in the centerline area of the wheel), I would be concerned with possible unseen damage to the belts inside the tire.

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1

I'd agree, the cost of a tire isn't worth it giving out on you at the most inconvenient moment, not only leaving you stranded but possibly causing a crash as well.

• Like 1
Limecreek

New wheel arrived. Can’t find a new PR6 GT. May IMG_7391.thumb.jpeg.116d5694515c362db4354e9b5eaf2959.jpegput on a PR6 Road and call it good. 

Looking at the crack and thoughts of how it could have ended if the wheel had broken up makes me appreciate the BMW engineers!

• Like 1

In the automotive tire side no reputable shop would reuse a tire that sustained a hit that destroyed a wheel .  If you purchased Road hazard certificates from Discount tire the unit would be replaced .   Michelin will tell you Not to reuse that tire if you e mail them the photo of the wheel .  Ask yourself is saving $200 bucks worth life , injury or another wheel replacement ?   The belts and cords being smashed for milliseconds then the rolling to a stop will have some internal damage .     

Limecreek
16 hours ago, c10 said:

I'm in sugar land and have a tire tooling / balance 

Appreciate it guys - tire is on the way.  

• Like 1
Rougarou

I’s serious when I said Id take that tire. Heck, I bought a coupe from goodwill with no known history :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1
Limecreek
56 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

I’s serious when I said Id take that tire. Heck, I bought a coupe from goodwill with no known history :classic_biggrin:

Gone into the bin already.  You could feel where the belts had separated in two areas of the tire at the impact zone.

• Like 1
Rougarou

Thanks was looking forward to the thump-thump trial ride

• Smile 1
  • Haha 1

I'd have slashed one of the sidewalls, to prevent it from ending up on another bike.